Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

William Blazkowicz said:

-It takes 4 consecutive Shotgun blasts for DoomGuy to make his 'angry'(or whatever it's called) face.

2 actually but for a very brief moment.

Neato. I wonder if he still has the original models and not just their renders? Would be cool if he did and chose to release them to the public, like how the producer of the XBLA Marathon 2 port offered up the prerender models to anyone willing to attempt to get them working in Aleph One.

Revenant's face during his death animation blows up into bunch of pieces.

Sodaholic said:

like how the producer of the XBLA Marathon 2 port offered up the prerender models to anyone willing to attempt to get them working in Aleph One.

When you finally get them to work in game they look absolutely amazing (considering the contrast between the old models and the prerender ones).

mrthejoshmon said:

When you finally get them to work in game they look absolutely amazing (considering the contrast between the old models and the prerender ones).

I guess I wasn't clear about that. Bungie already cleared the use of the assets in general to be used for the original game in mods. What I meant was the producer said that if anyone wanted to take another step in enhancing Marathon like put the actual models in the game rather than just sprites, he'd give the models themselves out. Nobody's tried yet, I'd give it a shot, but I'm lazy.

I have both Marathon 2 and 3 with Aleph One, I would be interested in trying out those models if they're already available.

Sodaholic said:

I guess I wasn't clear about that. Bungie already cleared the use of the assets in general to be used for the original game in mods. What I meant was the producer said that if anyone wanted to take another step in enhancing Marathon like put the actual models in the game rather than just sprites, he'd give the models themselves out. Nobody's tried yet, I'd give it a shot, but I'm lazy.

Oh I see. Doesn't sound hard to do but with the hassle it was to get the sprites in, I can imagine how painful it would be to not only get the models in but also making them look the part and the reframing and the animations...

Kudos to those who tried or will try, it would be a pure nightmare.

Sodaholic said:

Neato. I wonder if he still has the original models and not just their renders?

I would not imagine that he has the models; Frank Cifaldi was a member of the press back in the 90's, and I guess he's been searching through his closet of press kit discs.

Wow that is obscure, lots of cool finds like that in those old gaming magazines. Who remembers the FF7 beta that was being planned for the N64? Lots of screenshots exist; cool piece of history.

mrthejoshmon said:

It's either E2M4 or E2M5 that there is an entire section that uses almost only STONEGARG for the walls, I think it was called something like "Deimos Lab", I dunno it has been ages since I went through Ultimate Doom and I just noticed it on some guys playthrough of it.

It's Deimos Lab. I remember playing that level as a kid on SNES in like 1995, that imagery always stuck with me. That long corridor with the slime pit, STONEGARG on the walls, and that other weird hexagonal-looking texture. Great level, one of the best in E2.

Doomkid92 said:

I thought Pantera's old logos were like happy jungle cats and typical 80's glam metal imagery and stuff, until they got Phil in / grew balls - is that right?

Yes, Pantera was a glam metal band not too far removed from Poison or Ratt. This was evident for their first three albums and (part) of their fourth. The band and especially the fans like to act like these albums don't exist, but they most certainly do. Dimebag was known as "Diamond" Darrell back then. He actually kept that alias through Vulgar Display of Power...

Pantera got affected by the Slayer bug and changed direction. They took a pretty creative spin on the Slayer theme thanks to their guitarist's talent.

mrthejoshmon said:

Pinkies in PSX Doom are also actual threats, apparently they have a hitscan attack.

Are you realy sure about that? I never heard that before.

bloodfalls said:

Are you realy sure about that? I never heard that before.

Pretty sure it's true - although it's an extremely limited-range hitscan attack. However, it does mean Pinkies can infight with one another:

I preferred the Pinkies from Doom v1.2, when they had a hitscan attack. The melee range looks much more shorter than the short-range hitscan and it makes it easier to avoid their attacks.

Nice findings!
That explains something. I remember seeing demon-infighting two times in all the years of playing: once in a sharewaregame, and once in psx-doom.

Pressing 'fire' = pressing 'use' at the tally screen (stops slow adding numbers up to the kill/item/secret % you achieved). I was always, always pressing spacebar ('use').

Fernito said:

I just realized there's only imps and regular zombiemen on Doom2's MAP01.

How only could you unnotice! It's been copied by so many custom wads... :p

scifista42 said:

How only could you unnotice! It's been copied by so many custom wads... :p

Actually, it wasn't until I noticed that D2TWID's MAP01 had only imps and zombiemen that I realized original Doom 2 first map did too! Heh, funny :P