Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris Hansen

A question about a certain Mr. Lade

Huh, never got any contact from that guy. I guess I'm not that important. If being important means dealing with guys like that, then I'm glad to be unimportant.

Kinda reminds me of that whole "ball shit snakes" episode from years ago.

Got quite a ton of e-mails last month, asking about Unholy Realms, D2TWiD, Ribbiks and Darkreaver maps, Hellbound, BtSX, and CC4 map 11 for some reason.
He stopped e-mailing me as soon as I politely asked him to "be patient" after a couple days of me not replying.

He's been obsessed with these meaningless ratings for years now, sadly I don't think he'll ever understand that it annoys everyone else.

dew said:
I'd say his ultimate goal is to create a statistically objective all-time ladder of wads. Then you'll see, unbelievers.

He's one of various scouts in an alien invasion and they read about Marine Doom and inferred that the military of the leading world power is using DOOM as a tool to dominate the planet, so he was tasked with mastering DOOM map knowledge to defeat the mightiest humans. And he naturally needs to concentrate on levels with high ratings, or he'll waste his time with the ones that aren't military grade material.

zap610 said:
I think it would be more weird if his actual parents did write it.

His "parents" are really the command center on his home planet, that he reports to.

Has anyone ever tried to politely explain Brandon D. Lade that his behaviour seems weird (even annoying) to most people (+ why), and kindly and non-offensively persuade him to talk about his actual motives? All in a friendly spirit and perhaps not publicly, but privately too?

I have never received any mail from him, but if I did, then after reading all this discussion about his person, I'd probably behave just as I described. Unless I'm missing something important, I believe it couldn't do anything bad, and there is a chance that the situation with him may improve and he may actually start behaving in a way likeable to him and others at the same time.

Am I naive?

scifista42 said:

Has anyone ever tried to politely explain Brandon D. Lade that his behaviour seems weird (even annoying) to most people (+ why), and kindly and non-offensively persuade him to talk about his actual motives? All in a friendly spirit and perhaps not publicly, but privately too?

I have never received any mail from him, but if I did, then after reading all this discussion about his person, I'd probably behave just as I described. Unless I'm missing something important, I believe it couldn't do anything bad, and there is a chance that the situation with him may improve and he may actually start behaving in a way likeable to him and others at the same time.

Am I naive?

From what I have read, he appears to be aware of his problem. Unfortunately, being aware is not enough.

scifista42 said:

In 2009, I exchanged a series of PMs with him explaining what was problematic about his posting and he was oblivious to patient advice and suggestions. The irony is that he did pick up the idea of "telling his parents to contact Doomworld" after I said he'd need to do that to be let in again, as shown on the thread I linked to above, which shows he is not learning-impaired.

myk said:

...which shows he is not learning-impaired.

He gets sneakier with every dataset compilation cycle. And the ignorant humans willingly provide him with the knowledge that will be their DOOM!

I hate this kind of narcissistic persons, better to ignore them if they just want other people praising them and singing hallelujah without conversation.

Job said:

Kinda reminds me of that whole "ball shit snakes" episode from years ago.

Oh, that guy. Username. He was my favourite.

scifista42 said:

Am I naive?

It's been explained to him on a number of different occasions, yes. He has a very difficult time understanding, and it seems that even once some degree of understanding is reached, it's outweighed by his desire to continue doing Brandony things.

In one such event, after being told to stop spamming the forum with opinion poll threads, he took this as an invitation to instead PM his latest poll to every currently-logged-in user.

I got one of these from "The Boulder" about a month ago. It asked me to rate Unholy Realms and d2twid and any other recent wad I liked. Didn't reply because The Boulder had been banned by the time I saw the message and I figured it was bullshit. But I should play Unholy Realms.

I think he PMed me once about epic.wad, but that's as far as it went.

He did however manage to create a bit of a storm in #doomtwid.

BaronOfStuff said:

"My overall rating for this level is 62.5%."

That's 3.125 stars, why's he wasting his time with trash like that?

That's 5 out of 8, not that weird a number, especially for someone that likes numbers.

dew said:

The last time he PM'd me was in his MegaDoomer times, asking me about my opinion on Reverie. Which I've already elaborated on in its project thread.

Heh, this for me, too. I told him I hadn't played any new wads for months so I had nothing to contribute, and he never bothered me since.

Edit: Also, some of the PMs we exchanged during Jade Earth's testing were...interesting.

His rating metric is written at the bottom of his first post. Apparently something at 62.5 is now "worth playing".

Comparing it to something such as a five-point Star-rating, that actually seems... fairly sensible. Huh.

This topic seems like it might be some kind of shitpost that belongs in a PM, but it is weirdly fascinating. How come he hasn't emailed me? Do I smell or something? Some people just don't want to send a random PM to strangers and get a lengthy, bizarre rant about Lost Tanith in reply.

Heeeeee's baccccckkk......asking me about stuff again. Under his assumed "kakhome4" alias he asked me on a Youtube video this evening:

I'd just like a summary of what do you think of NOVA so far, did you enjoy it, and would you recommend it? Also if you don't mind same for Shotgun Symphony?

I don't know if people care about this fellow anymore, but there you go.

Fiend said:

I got one of these from "The Boulder" about a month ago. It asked me to rate Unholy Realms and d2twid and any other recent wad I liked. Didn't reply because The Boulder had been banned by the time I saw the message and I figured it was bullshit. But I should play Unholy Realms.

the message I got was probably identical. I had no idea it was him till now haha. oops!

No, what we need to do is, the next time someone gets a message from him, post it on here and the community can create a reply.

Or you could just send him something that's got nothing to do with his question, but will enrich his life in unexpected ways. I'll be happy to donate my pork scratchings story to the cause.

Is it just me, or does this information make this Brandon fellow sound like a super shitty number rating obsessed Batman villain?

"He carves a numerical score of how well his victims fought back into their skulls"

He called random people and asked them how brutal they thought his murders were out of ten? (or what their opinions were on the coverage of the Gotham Herald, or what Bruce Wayne should spend his money on)

mrthejoshmon said:

Is it just me, or does this information make this Brandon fellow sound like a super shitty number rating obsessed Batman villain?

"He carves a numerical score of how well his victims fought back into their skulls"

This somehow led me to envision archaeologists of the distant future..

"Yes! We have found new cave paintings! And pottery with carvings!
It seems to be some sort of massive list...with super precise numbers and .wads whatever those are..like some sort of over-obsessive rating system..What a fantastic insight this is into how our ancestors' minds worked!"

My last correspondence from him dates back to 2010 and he had a genuine query about a Heretic level set of mine. This was back when he was operating under the "MegaDoomer" moniker.