Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kildeth

NOVA: The Birth - v1.1 release now on idGames!

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee

In good timing with cannonball's preferred time, I once again delve into NOVA: The Birth tonight and starting from MAP 21, will most likely die a lot and get angry a bit. Also maybe that "Brandon Lade" fellow will show up again. Also I hope the mappers show again too!

Only played a few maps so far. Awfully stingy with body armor for a hitscan hell themed beginning.

Driven by a random idea, I started a Let's Play series about it, the first episode is gonna be here around CET 1:00 A.M.:

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/3856352 = part 4 of my playthrough.

I can now say I have beaten a Doom slaughter map! Two of them in fact; Stygian's 'Ring of Gyges' fast-paced open-world slaughterfest, and mouldy's 'The Seventh Circle'. The Seventh Circle tested my patience and my skill, but thanks to some guidance from the various mappers that showed up again tonight, I persevered and beat that damn map! So satisfying!

Also of note, joe-ilya is a really weird mapper with questionable design at times. Beta Base was a bizarre visual clusterfuck, while Hell's Playground was an awkward to play visual clusterfuck. Not the biggest fan of his style to say the least, sorry joe-ilya!

Immaterium by Paul D was an excellent visual map with great design, it made me think of what Doom would have been like if it was more of a 'horror' game. Also liked how it revisited his earlier map entirely yet made it feel different. The other maps I played tonight were good also in different ways!

I still continue to fully enjoy NOVA: The Birth, with not even Hell's Playground massively denting my fun. Now all that remains is to be severely tested on the 1.2k monsters finale that is 'Megiddo'....

Missed the end of MAP28 and 29 but I caught it on your archive; it gave me quite a few laughs, especially when you idmus'd to MAP28 (stockholm syndrome perhaps?). Hopefully you give a good hour advance warning to your playing of Megiddo, as I really want to catch the whole thing (that and I want to see you to try the super secret death arena I put in)

Didn't see if you guys figured out the self-ref sector thing in 27, but if you rebuild the map with W32-BSP as the nodebuilder, it should work as intended. You could also just omit the self-ref sectors, I don't think the deep water is that critical in that area.

dobu gabu maru said:

Missed the end of MAP28 and 29 but I caught it on your archive; it gave me quite a few laughs, especially when you idmus'd to MAP28 (stockholm syndrome perhaps?). Hopefully you give a good hour advance warning to your playing of Megiddo, as I really want to catch the whole thing (that and I want to see you to try the super secret death arena I put in)

Sure, I can give an hour's notice for the final part.

Suitepee said:

The Seventh Circle tested my patience and my skill, but thanks to some guidance from the various mappers that showed up again tonight, I persevered and beat that damn map! So satisfying!

I was well impressed you made it through that without rage-quitting, there were moments at the start where I didn't think you would make it. I'm so used to running away from fights that I tend to build it into my maps by making encounters you can't possibly deal with until later. However I've noticed some people tend to try clearing every space before moving onto the next area, which makes for a frustrating experience when there isn't enough health and ammo to do this. Was great seeing how the various parts of the map started to come together in your head as you were playing though.

If anyone's interested in that, then I'd post the rest of my walkthrough here, when I upload them.

Well Katamori, I've been following your videos for this so far, as it's good to see a mapper making observations and using his own experience to decide what's done well and what isn't. There's good feedback in there! I look forwards to seeing how you fare in my map on your next video.

Phobus said:

Well Katamori, I've been following your videos for this so far, as it's good to see a mapper making observations and using his own experience to decide what's done well and what isn't. There's good feedback in there! I look forwards to seeing how you fare in my map on your next video.

Thanks! I'm still surprised that you contribute into this stuff, I believed you make maps for a very long time.

Yeah, I've been at it since about 1995, I think, but I always liked the idea of free and easy community projects, so I put a short, sharp vanilla map together in a couple of evenings when I saw this and submitted it. A lot of the newer mappers were much more ambitious with what they made, to their credit.

Hey, question about the music: was it "mastered" or resaved using one program before it went into the wad? I ask because it seems like all the music of NOVA won't play properly in Chocolate Doom using OPL emulation, which seems like it can't be just a coincidence. Not your fault of course, but it might help with troubleshooting.

from what I know, this project isn't made to be 100% chocolate doom compatible to begin with, but I could be wrong.

Paul D said:

from what I know, this project isn't made to be 100% chocolate doom compatible to begin with, but I could be wrong.

At least, I know for SURE that you will get visplane crashes on both of my maps.

NOVA is not chocolate compatible, but nonetheless the music should work in chocolate doom if it were in a separate wad. I'm trying to help troubleshoot chocolate doom to find out why this isn't the case.

MAP11: plain but absolutely playable, and nice!
MAP12: the best map of Josh maybe.
MAP13: works and flows damn well, maybe a bit too long.

For details:

Don't worry, joe, that's gonna come later, just wait.

MAP32 was quite simple, but also unique. MAP16 however is a mixed bag for me. Not actually bad anyway.

Hey suite, Katamori's video shows what happens if you don't fight the blue key monsters inside the blue key room. The monsters wake up, teleport into the blue key room, and then as they walk through the red/blue glowing wall area, they are teleported into the main hub room and at two spots in the room directly below. However, when he loaded from his save, he also showed the mapping problem associated with it: If you don't actually shoot in the blue key room, or in the other room with the lift lowered, the monsters don't actually trigger. Maybe I should revise it so that the monsters trigger unconditionally (join to some dummy sector earlier in the map)?

It's interesting to see how differently different people play the same map though.

Also, I intentionally made the red key area "optional" because I figured once you already knew you could get the yellow key, if you tried the skip the red key area the rest of the map is rather difficult without the SSG (pistol start at least).

And the reason the map is so inconsistent is because it was my first "complete" map, but I kept revising it occasionally over about eight or nine months, so the newer parts definitely reflect that.

Damn, MAP17 was a serious pain in the ass! It really made me tired. Sorry Ledillman, I think you screwed it up. I like your other maps however.

Paul D said:

If you don't actually shoot in the blue key room, or in the other room with the lift lowered, the monsters don't actually trigger. Maybe I should revise it so that the monsters trigger unconditionally (join to some dummy sector earlier in the map)?

Best solution is waking up all the monsters you wanna teleport yet at the beginning of the map IMO.

Paul D said:

Also, I intentionally made the red key area "optional" because I figured once you already knew you could get the yellow key, if you tried the skip the red key area the rest of the map is rather difficult without the SSG (pistol start at least).

And the reason the map is so inconsistent is because it was my first "complete" map, but I kept revising it occasionally over about eight or nine months, so the newer parts definitely reflect that.

Yeah, yellow key was quite easy to get, but the mancubi room was rather annoying. Also, compared to a first map it's quite OK I think, however 9 months for this is incredibly much - I don't blame you though, sometimes I do the same.

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee

Time for the final map of NOVA: The Birth to be conquered!

But since dobu gabu maru wanted an hour in-between the announcement of the stream to arrive promptly, I'll be doing the "Moonlite" single map wad as requested by meapineapple to pad out an hour until he arrives.

But then it's time for "Megiddo"! What will happen?

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/3932701 = final part of my playthrough on-demand.

Megiddo was hard with an interesting idea; divide the finale into 5 different challenge 'arenas' by 5 different authors. While you only have to tackle 3 to exit, I did all 5 anyway.

Kildeth and arjak's areas were disappointing.
Cannonball's was tough but (as somebody in the chat mentioned) it felt toned down a bit from his previous maps.
Dobu and mouldy's parts were great. Especially liked how dobu incorporated previous maps from NOVA into his bit.
The Icon of Sin end fight was also interesting, if not a bit awkward.

Overall I've really enjoyed this megawad from start to finish (except for map26 by Joe-Ilya), and would heartily recommend EVERYBODY on Doomworld to play this immediately if you haven't already done so!

I'll give this my Cacowad nomination for 2014 until BTSXE2 happens.

MAP17 still; sorry Ledillman, this map was out of my comfort level. Unenjoyable map because of the difficulty.

Suitepee said:

http://www.twitch.tv/johnsuitepee/c/3932701 = final part of my playthrough on-demand.

Megiddo was hard with an interesting idea; divide the finale into 5 different challenge 'arenas' by 5 different authors. While you only have to tackle 3 to exit, I did all 5 anyway.

Kildeth and arjak's areas were disappointing.
Cannonball's was tough but (as somebody in the chat mentioned) it felt toned down a bit from his previous maps.
Dobu and mouldy's parts were great. Especially liked how dobu incorporated previous maps from NOVA into his bit.
The Icon of Sin end fight was also interesting, if not a bit awkward.

Overall I've really enjoyed this megawad from start to finish (except for map26 by Joe-Ilya), and would heartily recommend EVERYBODY on Doomworld to play this immediately if you haven't already done so!

I'll give this my Cacowad nomination for 2014 until BTSXE2 happens.

Finally got round to watching this last night (I was out all weekend so apologies for missing this).
It was great to see you blast through this beast, in hindsight I might have uses a different mechanism to open up my section to make it harder, but on the other hand it's perhaps a kinder option to give the player the choice to take it piece by piece whilst still allowing the more ballsy to hit all the switches and allow a bloodbath to happen. I designed the map with the latter in mind.
Anyway I must reiterate others in thanking you for playing through this and of course glad that you enjoyed the wad. Doubly so given that one of my maps made your top five :)