Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

#BAN BOSSY

Apparently bossy people woman are actually ambitious.

I thought both those terms had different meanings. I guess my version of the newspeak dictionary is outdated.

My main problem with this campaign is we're at a point where a group of people are trying to stigmatize a word of criticism for their actions by their peers and underlings because it makes them feel bad.

Where is Sokoro when we need him to explain this?

Anyway, the problem with this is that they are not taking the correct approach. Learn from Google. Why ban one word when you can ban 1,400?

This movement isn't really about banning, it's about stigmatizing and, failing miserably at, equaling the playing field for female leadership. They are assuming that being "bossy" is an automatic compliment or admiration when inflicting it at a male authority, but the opposite at a female equivalent. The way this comes off as to the viewer, is females are actually more sensitive to vanilla accusations and need to put a halt to it to bring in more female leaders.

Being bossy does not show ambition or even assertiveness, it's negative for a reason and it works on both sexes.

How bossy do you need to be to try to ban a word? Extremely bossy. 11 out of 10 on the Bossy-Meter. These bossy people have a bossiness off the charts!

You don't regulate a language by edicts, you bossy morons.

Gez said:

How bossy do you need to be to try to ban a word? Extremely bossy. 11 out of 10 on the Bossy-Meter. These bossy people have a bossiness off the charts!

It's even worse when told by billionaires.

Hen will see about that! Hen will show you! Hen will show you all!

And what is a boss, if not somebody who should be bossing other people around and acting bossy?

I'm amazed that, of all the words frequently directed at people, bossy is the latest one being targeted. Still, if we can't call people bossy, we'll just find something else... "Overbearing" could work perhaps.

On a related note:

Spread the Word to End the Word did very little to End the Word. So, someone will be making jolly money on this. I assume.

Retard is just the latest in a long line of words taken from psychology/psychiatry and used as insult. Nobody objects about the use of the words moron, imbecile, or idiot as insults against dullards.

I've baby sat my cousin's 4 daughters a lot. Those little bitches be bossy. They learn it from their mother who is assertive. I'm not sure how ambition is confused for being bossy. Why not use the phrase 'overpowering personality?' Or 'your will steamrolls anything in its path.'

I'm quite bossy at work, yet sadly no one ever notices. Especially when my boss is gone and I'm in charge. I don't let shit slide and I rule with an iron fist.

There was an interview with a female former Facebook high up manager that wrote a book on the double standards at the workplace. Like how women bosses are bossy, but male bosses are in charge or whatever. She said in the interview that her 5 year old daughter told her to let a man be the boss, because then she wouldn't be bossy.

That reminds me... that Amy Hennig that left Naughty Dog.

Let's see.... from my days of online dating, go with the flow, means bossy as satan with a voodoo doll.

Gez said:

Retard is just the latest in a long line of words taken from psychology/psychiatry and used as insult. Nobody objects about the use of the words moron, imbecile, or idiot as insults against dullards.

And yet I think the mongoloids and the spastics society would make violent motions to the contrary.

darknation said:

And yet I think the mongoloids and the spastics society would make violent motions to the contrary.

Wouldn't that look hilarious!

<me waits for someone to register on the forums as "BOSSY" (maybe as some sort of protest) only to be summarily banned>

Brilliant man. Or waits for someone to register 'pplcallmebossy' so the sympathy can flood in only to be Kim Jun Un.

"By middle school, girls are less interested in leadership than boys and that's because they're afraid of being called bossy"

How did they make that conclusion?

Shaviro said:

"By middle school, girls are less interested in leadership than boys and that's because they're afraid of being called bossy"

How did they make that conclusion?

Someone flapped a fat check in front of their face.

Maybe they have conducted extensive studies comparing girls' behavior in English-speaking countries (where the word "bossy" exists and is routinely used) and in non-English-speaking countries. :p

Just kidding. I strongly doubt these people are aware that countries other than the USA, Canada, and UK exist.

Doomhuntress said:

what is this and why should i care about what Beyonce tells me to do?

Yeah, she's not the boss of me!