Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Obsidian

Obsidian's One-hour Map Repository

Volatile.

I felt like making a one-hour speedmap. It didn't turn out exactly like I envisioned it, but I think I did okay all things considered.

Download here.

Enjoy!

Black Books.

I felt like using one of my favourite themes for this one: the library! :P There's just something inherently cool about traps and secret passageways in old libraries that I like. Hopefully you'll like it too.

Download here.

EDIT: Due to request, I'll post the links to the other speedmaps here so you don't have to sift through posts.

Steel Trap.
Technophage.
Blackened Books.
DarkSteel.
The Vortex.
Mortal Processing.
Contact.
Tripwire.
Radiation.(Requires Plutonia)
Time Bomb.
Immolation.
Cave In.
Retribution.
Rippler.(Requires Plutonia)
Writemare.
Maskim Xul.
Terramorph.
Entropy Device.
Hellfire Compound.
Vietnow.
Portality.
The Database.
Wayward.
Dance Macabre.
Tread Lightly.
Sanctuary.
Demanufacture.
The Yard.
Run Like Hell!

That one was interesting for a speedmap. I like the idea with these crushed barrels, kinda startled a bit when i first heard it. I played quite clumsy but managed to beat it at the second try. FDA

Cool little map, like the barrel explosions though I expected it to open up more areas for some reason? Didn't care for the last fight at all, was hoping the SMM would come out and shoot the pinkies but it didn't happen.

FDA: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1248961

edit: Where's the music from? It breaks Chocolate Doom with OPL playback.

FDA

Watch for laughs. I played with complevel 2 (or if that wasn't the problem then something else must have gone terribly wrong) so the Spider Mastermind ambush is "slightly" dysfunctional. But what an exciting battle it is when I do get the gate open! :D

Agonizing with a rocket launcher, a pillar, and a spiderdemon may not be the best definition of "enjoying", but you're welcome! :P

BlackBooks
Where the hell is the red key? I gave up after 2 tries FDA

Anyways i like this one though i missed the secret passages you mentioned in the description.
Keep e'm coming, your speedmaps are great.

EDIT: ok after looking for the key in DB2 i assume that something went wrong while i played this. maybe because i used complevel 2

I'm not quite sure what complevel 2 does, to be perfectly honest. :/ Venien mentioned that it caused anomalies in the last map I made as well, so I'm not sure what to think.

FDA for Black Books.

Watch for laughs. Only now because I sucked so hard it wasn't even funny. Died total five times by:

1. Manc fireball clipping
2. Just plain suckage
3. Owned by a Lost Soul
4. Ragedeath, apologies
5. Another crappy player sighting

As for the map: well there's the hard way and the cheesy way in each fight, the cheesy ways being displayed in the FDA. I do like the trap dynamics otherwise, it's a shame they can be cheesed so badly. The HK and the Manc felt a bit redundant since they add little else than slabs of meat to pump ten shells into (oh the irony, I know...) though. I think the "finale" would also be improved vastly if you had simply eliminated the possibility of cheesing it by releasing the Arch-Viles after the player has already teleported into the library. A neat little speedmap overall.

Very enjoyable map. I have recorded a video and it will be on youtube at 19:00 GMT on March 14th. I will post it here when it is up.

Great map again!

Steel Trap.

♪Don't stop me nowwwww♫

I honestly might try make a megawad's worth of these things. :D I'm 3/32th of the way there at any rate.

Link.

Obsidian said:

I'm not quite sure what complevel 2 does, to be perfectly honest. :/ Venien mentioned that it caused anomalies in the last map I made as well, so I'm not sure what to think.

complevel 2 = vanilla compatible (or limit removing).
complevel 9 = Boom-compatible. Note that some vanilla features will work differently in boom. Including the key switch here for some reason?

What did you test these in?

Making the inner sector of the red key area an actual separate sector and giving it a ceiling height of 192 makes it work in chocolate doom for me.

Anyways, Black Books (sans red key) and Steel Trap FDAs.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1249392

Black Books was a fun bastard. Once you know it it's quite easy, but getting there is devious. Steel Trap was nice but the actual trap could have had some more oomph to it, it was a fairly easy map. Both looked decent, though I think Volatile had the best visuals of the maps in this thread.

Only 29 to go! ;)

Thanks for the feedback Plums. Considering the nature of speedmaps in general the megawad is most likely going to be limit-removing to avoid hassle: for some ungodly reason, Black Books somehow manages to break the visplane limit! Harumph. On a side note:

Technophage.

This one has a bit of a story to it: I originally started on this idea earlier today, but 25 minutes in Doom Builder inexplicably crashed on me and I lost my work. The second time around I had more of an idea in my head, hence the slightly higher complexity.

Linky.

Blackened Books.

The sequel to Black Books, if you will. :) I'm going to try match the themes of each map from now on: as you may notice, this one starts out like Black Books and ends up like Volatile. Plus I couldn't resist making another library map.

Fun fact: I made this while at my mate's radio show.

Downloab.

DarkSteel.

Made to the lovely tune of "Self-Immolation" by Fear Factory on repeat. One of these maps will probably be sporting that name sometime soon. Enjoy!

Link.

Could it be? Is obsidian inching himself considerably higher on my favorite mappers list?? Someone get a hold of worldstarhiphop, cause khorus' speedy shit, were callin you out!

FIREBLU is amazing though, can't get enough FIREBLU portals or reactor core structures. Literally the worst thing about Plutonia is that they took it out to make room for that animated rock texture.

Obsidian said:

Thanks for the video Retog! :)

No problem. I look forward to playing the rest of the maps.

Mortal Processing.

Eh, this one I'm not so sure about : I was planning to add a decent bit more detail and at least one secret(something most of these maps have been lacking), but unfortunately it just never happened. I'll let you guys decide if I use it or not.

Clickski.

All of your maps are the perfect balance between nice attention to detail and the oldschool Doomy vibe. Keep up the awesome work, man!

This may have already been asked, if so I apologize, but are you planning on compiling these into a megawad of miniwads? (That was fun to say.)

Thanks. :D With luck I should be able to make another one today, so stay tuned! And yes, I am planning on a megawad: I've got a heap of ideas waiting to be used.