Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darch

Pirate Doom! [GZDoom pwad] - new map 06/05/14

kmxexii said:

Make sure you are using the latest version / rev of GZDoom! I don't know offhand what I used when I did my playthrough a few days ago but it ran fine and if something isn't working right that's the first thing I'd check.

lol, I literally just realized that I hadn't updated GZDoom in a while too. It works like a charm now, thanks for the quick reply :)

Avoozl said:

Would like to see throwing axes and knives in this for some reason.

There you go, throwing knives and axes we have!

Here's the link to a new version (1.6):
http://www.confrariadacosta.com.br/piratedoom/PirateDoom.zip

Features:
- flaming knives and axes for imps and barons;
- powerspheres come in beautiful chests;
- handguns fire rate is slightly increased after eating spinach (lasts the whole level)
- some flipped sprites for the sake of randomness (attack and death animations, trees, etc)
- minor bug fixing overall
- A BONUS MAP: Plunder Island Fort (plays on slot 49, between Battleships and Lost City)

Hope you enjoy :)

(I'm keeping version 1.5 also available for download at first post, in case you don't heh)

screenshots:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/690/zi44.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/837/gjnv.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/22/iohl.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/268/3s7i.png/

Darch said:

A BONUS MAP

I adore you. Thanks for keeping it up even still.
Maybe it will turn into full 32 levels replacement eventually...

Thank you, plums!

Demonologist said:

Maybe it will turn into full 32 levels replacement eventually...

32 might be too much, but maybe a couple of extra maps won't hurt... I had planned a "belly of a whale" level long ago that never happened, also the "house of mojo" from Monkey Island... but if more levels would be made, I was thinking about including classic pirate levels instead of crazy ones.

By the way, here's a video showing new map and some features:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKhvyu-Sngg

It's not as easy adding new levels to a mod like this than for a usual mapping project. You have to come up with a convincing scenario first that fits. Therefore, I think it is a good approach to add new content step by step without having the 32 levels in mind all the time. :)

Let this grow slowly, and every new map will surely be appreciated and celebrated appropriately. ^^

I've finally finished this yesterday and I want to thank you for your effort. I'm a big fan of golden era LucasArts, so I was right at home with the tone you set. The Outlaws map had me all emotional. :)

I adore the ease with which you switch very different themes while keeping the gameplay entertaining at (almost) all times. It's a brilliant experience (ride?) the way it is, so I'd say be aware of just adding maps because people are insatiable. You risk making it too long for the first time experience, so I'd suggest splitting new stuff into a mission pack or a sequel instead!

That said, the bonus map was excellent, it was in the style I enjoyed the most. Also, I was really surprised how well you pulled off the Aztec ruins map, I usually end up hating that sort of theme. On the flipside, I thought the swamp map and the Baron's Castle were dragged out. They reminded me of regular Doom maps the most, with the former one dragging on for too long in the hedge maze and the latter just being a generic castle. Oh and I hate the LeChuck fight, but that's because I dislike Zdoom bosses in general.

Anyways, easily the most endearing wad of 2013!

Well, I took my sweet time getting round to it, but now that I've played it I can definitely see why this won a Cacoward. Brilliant theming and a really fun experience that makes great use of GZDoom's abilities. Probably my favourite project of 2013 and definitely one of my all-time favourites too :) Unlike a lot of other high-end (G)ZDoom projects, I thought the boss in this wasn't overpowered and went down in a reasonable battle on my first attempt. Very satisfying to beat this, all told.

The hammy pirate voices and humorous touches throughout definitely helped my appreciation of Pirate Doom too!

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the feedback. About new content, I think plums is right, it might get too long.

As I couldn't get my hands out of it yet, next releases will be optional content, like secret maps. I am currently working on a skill 5 replacement, where monsters will have some new behaviors instead of being faster. Imps throwing dynamite, demons jumping, Hellknights dashing, stuff like that.

Not yet ETPC, I'm still testing the balance of new attacks and had no ideas yet for alternative attacks for Arch-Vile and Mastermind.

I do not think that all monsters need alternative attacks... the fire is completly fine with archvile, it does fit into theme.

Sokoro said:

I do not think that all monsters need alternative attacks... the fire is completly fine with archvile, it does fit into theme.

You're right, I got rid of that extra skill level with alternative attacks. That was just an excuse to use a new monster, but now it is placed on the main campaign. So, here's a new version of lots of updates:

Pirate Doom V1.7 DOWNLOAD LINK: http://confrariadacosta.com.br/piratedoom/PirateDoom.zip

changelog:
- A new map: Port Royale (plays on slot 54)
- A new gun! - Big thanks for le_L for lending his drawing skills to this mod
- A new monster!
- Sprite replacements for vegetation, torches, chandeliers, candelabras, lamps, stones, etc
- New textures overall, specially in hell map, grog factory and baron castle.
- Difficulty slightly decreased: more booze added. New gun also helps.
- Handguns fire rate is increased after eating spinach.

screenshots:
http://arrrrch.imgur.com/all/

ETPC said:

Fantastic work, Darch! Is this going to be the last version?

Thanks, mate! There are still some ideas that have not been included, I might give a shot at them later. If they work fine, there might be another update, but not very soon.

By the way, just finished uploading a gameplay video of the new map:

I've been loving this wad so far, but I had a question and since I'm new here I was wondering if there was something I don't know. For some reason Pirate DOOM crashes every time I reach The Lost City Map. It just doesn't work, GZDoom turns itself off. I thought maybe I could skip to the level since I can't get there through the level-end route, but even then it crashes. Map51 loads just fine with the IDCLEV cheat, but Map50 won't load no matter what I do. Is that simply an issue with this update or am I doing something wrong? Thank you.

Hey doomguy, which GZDoom version are you using? I had this same problem with everything from 1.6 until a build fixed it in version 1.9. Try downloading the latest GZDoom patch, that will probably do it.

Darch said:

Hey doomguy, which GZDoom version are you using? I had this same problem with everything from 1.6 until a build fixed it in version 1.9. Try downloading the latest GZDoom patch, that will probably do it.

Hey Darch, I have 0.2.4 right now which appears to be the latest. I forgot to mention I use a MAC, I'm thinking maybe that's the reason. For what I've seen MAC support appears to be a tad behind Windows, which I can understand but it's still annoying. Perhaps I just need to wait for an update like you said. I think you're right.

Darch said:

By the way, just finished uploading a gameplay video of the new map:
[yt]_kcnJ2_xZXI[yt]

Cool level that has everything I want; lots of heights and monsters. I'm sure I'm gonna have fun with this level.

joe-ilya: Let me know what you think; I didn't get any feedback of this last update yet.

doomguy: On my end, crashes were caused by the fog. Try disabling fog this way:
Display options - OPENGL options - preferences - fog mode: off

This map heavily relies on its fog, so it will look a bit weird, but, well, better then nothing. Same for map 51.

Darch said:

doomguy: On my end, crashes were caused by the fog. Try disabling fog this way:
Display options - OPENGL options - preferences - fog mode: off

I appreciate your help, but it still crashes. By this point I think the MAC version of GZDoom just isn't quite as advanced as the Windows one, so for the moment maybe I'll just have to skip that level and go back when the source port is a little better. Thank you for making this wad, I've been having a blast with it so far.

MAP57 has a bug where you can get to the ghost imps without unfreezing them, and you can get there by the window near the door.

Another bump, another map. Time for something a little different, but anyone who has played any Monkey Island game will remember: The House of Mojo.

Download link:
http://www.confrariadacosta.com.br/piratedoom/PirateDoom.zip

What's new:

- New map: House of Mojo (plays on slot 55);
- Idle sprite animations for zombies, shotgunners, imps, demons and revenant;
- Added peg legs to Chaingunners;
- Invulnerability view is now sepia instead of default inverted palette;
- New textures at "LeChuck's Hideout", "Grog Factory" and "Booty Bay";
- Skies and music are no longer replaced on "other maps" mode.

Screenshots:

heh yeah, I saw that these days. Thanks for the review and the update, BTW. I wonder if you or people who speedrun this get angry when I add more things to it :P

Darch said:

heh yeah, I saw that these days. Thanks for the review and the update, BTW. I wonder if you or people who speedrun this get angry when I add more things to it :P

Yarrr we can always be usin' more maps