Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

When dicking around making custom music wads, I found out that Duke Nukem Total Meltdown's OST fits surprisingly well with Ultimate Doom (E1 is heavy metal and all that good stuff, E2 is all the space tracks, E3 has all the left over tracks in it and even they fit quite well and E4 is a mix of themes) and Marathon's OST fits great with Doom 2 (having the more fast tracks in first, then as the game progresses the music gets slower and much more calm as you enter hell, it sounds weird but it kind of fits with the end of the journey... Well until the marathon infinity theme plays as MAP30 but oh well).

Platinum Shell said:

It doesn't seem like many know about it, though.

I certainly didn't. Thanks for pointing out its existence! It's definitely something I'll make use of. The jittery animations caused by autoalign is something I felt was a serious flaw.

Platinum Shell said:

It doesn't seem like many know about it, though.

Well, you definetly helped 'sodaholic'.

joe-ilya said:

Well, you definetly helped 'sodaholic'.

Still, it's pretty under popular. I only found out about it when I noticed the misaligned weapon sprites. To me, fixing that was the main thing. Everything else was a bonus.

IMX said:

It has always been stimpack, right?

Yup. Always been "Medikit", too - note the extra I inbetween D and K. (Kinda-sorta blew my mind when I learned about that one years ago - I'd always read it as "Medkit", no extra I, and yet there it was, the whole time.)

joe-ilya said:

Ultimate doom title screen has red red red demons in the background.

Also, the Baron in the background is killing a marine and a pinky in the background is gibing one.

There are at least two duplicate RGB-value entries in Doom's default 256 color palette - 240 (dupes 207) and 224 (dupes 208)...

Think about it - We could have had MOAR COLARS!

Soundblock said:

There are at least two duplicate RGB-value entries in Doom's default 256 color palette - 240 (dupes 207) and 224 (dupes 208)...

Think about it - We could have had MOAR COLARS!

Oh yeah, there are several identical duplicates, but also a crapton of near-duplicates that can be eliminated with no noticeable loss. ptoing helped me find a bunch of those to replace for Back to Saturn X's palette. The one downside is that you have to color-remap a bunch of the IWAD resources to accommodate all the colors you're replacing, but the added file bloat is a small price to pay for the degree of palette freedom it grants you.

The stock palette is not only inefficient, it's badly organized. The only thing that keeps me from remaking it from scratch for my mod is hardcoded stuff such as automap colors.

I needed to whine about it somewhere.

Crushed spectre corpse looks like this:

Makes sense of course but I've never noticed this before. If someone asked me what a crushed spectre corpse looks like yesterday, I would probably say "a red puddle of blood". It would seem to me as a likely overlook on id's part.

The fuzz effect is caused by a flag. When a spectre dies, or is crushed, or is resurrected, etc., that flag is not removed, so it keeps it.

It's possible to create fuzzy imps, barons, cacodemons, etc. with DeHackEd. Even fuzzy barrels or fuzzy evil eyes! You can make everything fuzzy.

Gez said:

It's possible to create fuzzy imps, barons, cacodemons, etc. with DeHackEd. Even fuzzy barrels or fuzzy evil eyes! You can make everything fuzzy.

Quick, hide the megaspheres!

Gez said:

You can make everything fuzzy.

I thought that would be stupidfunny enough to be worth the 10 minutes it would take to make. No good way to make the weapons fuzzy AFAIK though, sadly. Other than IDBEHOLDI of course. Hmm, maybe I could replace blood with invis spheres...

DEH here: https://www.mediafire.com/?4wgefx38bifwg1a

One of doom 1 versions have a co-op attract mode of E1M5, in which the first person player kills the other twice with the rocket launcher.

Also, I didn't know that the square around the player face turns green when playing co-op, awesome.

plums said:

I thought that would be stupidfunny enough to be worth the 10 minutes it would take to make. No good way to make the weapons fuzzy AFAIK though, sadly. Other than IDBEHOLDI of course. Hmm, maybe I could replace blood with invis spheres...

http://i.imgur.com/2YAFWwqm.png

DEH here: https://www.mediafire.com/?4wgefx38bifwg1a

Thumbs up, mate! :) The projectile-throwing enemies even seem to be unable to aim at you properly, though it doesn't make sense considering the player's weapons aren't invisible.

Dave Taylor came up with the fuzzy effect - Carmack took care of the less important stuff like bsp, drawing/clipping geometry, collision detection and "purging" cats.
If you're Doomguy never trust someone who's using 'R_DrawFuzzColumn' and strolling around the same "subsector" as you.

Other games such as Daggerfall also had some kind of fuzz effect which was used for it's water, the only downside is it had a clipping issue particularly because it showed through sprites.