Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Five Magics

Favorite Sky Texture?

scalliano said:

PSXDoom's fire sky. Nothing screams "Hell" quite like it.

But is this only one sky, or 100 skies stitched together as an animation?

scalliano said:

heh no, the whole booru.org is blocked because of some hentai stuff

It's a (literal) fucking cartoon though!

SKY1 in TNT, followed by SKY2 in TNT.

Platinum Shell said:

http://i.imgur.com/Dxki4yml.png

I'm also pretty sure it's impossible to have an astronomical object that close without it and the planet you're currently on colliding into each other.

Not at all. If you were standing on Phobos and looking at Mars, it would be much like that screenshot - only less pixellated.

GreyGhost said:

SKY1 in TNT, followed by SKY2 in TNT.

Not at all. If you were standing on Phobos and looking at Mars, it would be much like that screenshot - only less pixellated.

Source? I remember taking an astrology class and a book saying that close would ultimately wind up in a collision. It's been awhile, but I distinctly rememberthat Also, the screenshot doesn't make much sense since it's of the station. Or is it the sizes relative to each other?

Platinum Shell said:

Source?

Here you go - good old Wikipedia. I think it's pretty much a balancing act of mass vs velocity, but being in a decaying orbit means Phobos will eventually hit Mars.

"As seen from Phobos, Mars would appear 6,400 times larger and 2,500 times brighter than the full Moon appears from Earth, taking up a quarter of the width of a celestial hemisphere."

As for the ISS photo, I don't know if there might be a bit of optical zoom involved, that would result in the planet appearing to fill more of the sky than it should. Nonetheless, if you peer out an Earth-facing window on the station you'll probably see the Earth and little else.

Platinum Shell said:

Source? I remember taking an astrology class and a book saying that close would ultimately wind up in a collision. It's been awhile, but I distinctly rememberthat Also, the screenshot doesn't make much sense since it's of the station. Or is it the sizes relative to each other?

From what I understand, Phobos is actually doomed, no pun intended. In the distant future it's supposed to crash into Mars. Deimos on the other hand is slowly leaving Mars and in the future will be gone.

GreyGhost said:

Here you go - good old Wikipedia. I think it's pretty much a balancing act of mass vs velocity, but being in a decaying orbit means Phobos will eventually hit Mars.
As for the ISS photo, I don't know if there might be a bit of optical zoom involved, that would result in the planet appearing to fill more of the sky than it should. Nonetheless, if you peer out an Earth-facing window on the station you'll probably see the Earth and little else.

Yes, the lower you are, the faster you need to go to stay in orbit. The ISS is extremely low, with an apogee at only 422 km above sea level, putting it firmly in Earth's thermosphere. (Nearly a thousand times closer to Earth than the Moon.) It has an orbital period of one hour and a half, meaning it rotates around the Earth 16 times in a day.

DOOM E1 sky. I used to stare at while listening to the Imps' Song on E1M2. So surreal, I wanted to get to those mountains.

DOOM 2 sky 2 was awesome, I would find a high place and stare at it too.

Piper Maru said:

From what I understand, Phobos is actually doomed, no pun intended. In the distant future it's supposed to crash into Mars. Deimos on the other hand is slowly leaving Mars and in the future will be gone.

I was never aware of this, very interesting points that I wasn't expecting to be brought up in this thread.

In the IWADs, I'd say Doom 1 and TNT both have some really nice skies.

Dwango6 has a pretty cool sky texture, but DOOMCITY.wad has the #1 sky for me. Those blue mountains under the stars look damn good, you can see it in the link Memfis provided.

drifter20k said:

DOOM E1 sky. I used to stare at while listening to the Imps' Song on E1M2. So surreal, I wanted to get to those mountains.

Me too.

drifter20k said:

x10 - I remember wandering, or better wondering, through Episode 1 and that awesome sky was always there... mesmerizingly lurking in the background... as surreal as real in appearance.
id's artists were the real deal.

drifter20k said:

Man, I thought I was the only one!

The E1 sky will always be a special sky for me. Totally agree with the above responses of how surreal but real looking it was. If there was a reason why E1 was so memorable, it'd be the sky foremost.

The E4 sky is a freaky sky, fits with any maps and for some reason it just makes a pile-of-dog-shit-map look a lot better. TNT's hell sky is awesome too.

I am probably influenced by nostalgia, but I like my Doom 2 cloudy sky as something to be never bothered to return to. But, I highly appreciate new custom skies if they're looking good. Doom 2 first sky still remains the deep-rooted base of my experience.

The other good looking skies for me are the commonly appreciated ones, like Doom 1 skies, TNT and CC4 space skies... Even though they really impress me inside the wad, they usually don't stick in my mind enough to think about them later.

While E4 sky is good it really doesn't feel like it's part of hell, feels no different than a sunset sky.

I'm a little surprised at how often the IWAD skies are getting touted before some of the community-made PWAD classics, although they're certainly a versatile and charming bunch and with nostalgia one their side I guess it's understandable. Plutonia's first two skies and HeXen's red sunset one are certainly loud and striking, I think, and along with E4's orange haze can complement both bright and dark exteriors with highly contrasting moods.

To the best of my recollection, however, my favourites have got to be MM E3, MM2 E3, Interception E2 (the second episode's setting is brilliantly realised thanks to this cavernous sky), SoD E1, WoS E1, Pirate Doom's spooky swamp sky, Rebirth E2, SiD E1, UAC Ultra's, and a bunch from bundled maps in boom megawads that I can't find time to list. Mostly from 32in24.

There was also this one sky I remember seeing here in a thread that still escapes my memory, and with no words to search for I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to find it again. I'm not sure who was responsible for it or who it was that linked it, but it was a blotchy, blackened silhouette of Doom 2 E2's skyline set against a bright red sky. It looked a little like The Rebirth's E2 sky, for reference, but much bolder.

Alfonzo said:

I'm a little surprised at how often the IWAD skies are getting touted before some of the community-made PWAD classics, although they're certainly a versatile and charming bunch and with nostalgia one their side I guess it's understandable.

Nostalgia can influence and even override people's perception of quality, I probably appear to be one of these cases. But only partially, sometimes and just at certain things.

Devilution's E2 sky is the best normal sky ever, and Revilution has its work cut out for it trying to match it. Obviously "best ever" goes to PSX Doom's fire sky.

I wonder if animated skies are possible for original Doom? Would love to see UD E4 and D2 E1's skies with moving clouds, and the city sky with a flickering burning city and smoke clouds

Avoozl said:

While E4 sky is good it really doesn't feel like it's part of hell, feels no different than a sunset sky.

That's because it's not Hell.

Ragnor said:

I wonder if animated skies are possible for original Doom? Would love to see UD E4 and D2 E1's skies with moving clouds, and the city sky with a flickering burning city and smoke clouds

AFAIK not with vanilla Doom, but can be done using MBF Sky Transfers.

Alfonzo said:

There was also this one sky I remember seeing here in a thread that still escapes my memory, and with no words to search for I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to find it again. I'm not sure who was responsible for it or who it was that linked it, but it was a blotchy, blackened silhouette of Doom 2 E2's skyline set against a bright red sky. It looked a little like The Rebirth's E2 sky, for reference, but much bolder.

I think Katamori used a sky like that in a screenshot of Somewhere in Time I think in the Post Your Doom Picture thread. You're gonna have to sift through pages and pages and pages to find it though, or you could just ask him for it if you want it.

Ultimate DOOM: Ep. 3 -- I can't imagine Inferno without that landscape. It really lets you know where you are.
DOOM 2: SKY 1 -- Simply clouds, It gives the feel that sky fits with any type of map, also makes a good semi-dark athmosphere.

_bruce_ said:

Doom - E3
Doom2 - E3

same here. the e3 sky was the one that really impressed me. this and the fire & brimstone design made doom's representation of hell the best in a shooter ever, imo.

as far as PWADs go, i'm quite fond of Equinox's second one, where you can see Jupiter, its moon (i assume), and Saturn looming nearby. too bad the sights you are seeing makes the sky somewhat selective to use, though.

as for IWADs, TNT's starry sky is quite cool. i guess i just find dark, starry skies with celestial bodies in them soothing.

Jaxxoon R said:

The E1 sky was taken from this photograph of Yangshuo here.

Not this photograph in particular; but the same region. The pic in question has been deleted from Wikimedia Commons for copyright reasons when it was pointed out that it came from a CD ROM instead of being made by the uploader as claimed.