Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Liam

The /newstuff Chronicles #83

Fredrik said:

Who does it result in HOM with doom2.exe? I've seen loads of 3D bridges that work fully with doom2.exe...

No, the bridge looks fine, but the outside area shows hom when looking across it.

Espi said:

No, the bridge looks fine, but the outside area shows hom when looking across it.

OIC. Shame, sure you could not have fixed it? :|

If that bridge is a "Doom2.exe trick":

Is it a recent development made possible by some map editor today?

Was it just unknown back in '94/'95?

When was it first done/discovered?

What's makes it possible and how is it done?

It's quite old trick I think, but I just used new textures to make it a bit different than how it usually looks. You know the steptop-textured bridges? It's basically just that.

hatechild said:

uhh, i guess it depends on if its 1.13.0 or 1.13.1
one goes in / and if that doesn't work try /run/jdoom/
i know its one of the two

I've got 1.13.1 and I tried it in both folders and it doesn't play in game for me. I have the music set too custom/midi. Not off or just midi.

rtz said:

If that bridge is a "Doom2.exe trick":

Is it a recent development made possible by some map editor today?

Was it just unknown back in '94/'95?

When was it first done/discovered?

What's makes it possible and how is it done?

Have a look here where it's well explained.
Yes does anybody know the history? Who sussed it out and which wad featured it first?It's simple enough when you look at it,surely ID would've been aware of it.
The rope textures make all the difference though,makes it look fresh:)

Ruma looks really good so far....nice texture selection. Good contrast of structure use and overall player areas. Gameplay is not scatter-brain either....well focused.

magikal said:

Yes does anybody know the history? Who sussed it out and which wad featured it first?It's simple enough when you look at,surely ID would've been aware of it.
The rope textures make all the difference though,makes it look fresh:)

I don't know about the dummy sector bridge.....but the invisible bridge trick goes back to the way too cool level "UAC-dead" as far as I know.

greg_br549 said:

I don't know about the dummy sector bridge.....but the invisible bridge trick goes back to the way too cool level "UAC-dead" as far as I know.

Yeah, that great bridge that showed you where to go by having candles on the pathway. That was fucking awesome!

The sad part is, I looked in that folder too and didn't see it. :)

I got it now, I'll play it and post back in a few.

Thanks for the link.

I does have it's flaws though. Such as secret doors without clues to their existence of which one is actually needed to finish the level. I hate listlessly running around pressing walls Wolfenstein-style.

Other than that it's pure class and has some truly breathtaking moments like the aforementioned staircase.

Also look out for the overturned car. It is in the outside start area so it should be hard to ignore.

Nice job Espi! THat level rocks! Love the chaingun supershotty sound replacement. Kicks ass on my 15 inch sub! Haven't had that much fun in a while....

Amazing. I loaded it up and started playing it. When I opened up that door to see that curved staircase.. I remembered it!! I played this map back in 1994 with my friend over our 14.4 modems! We played this map COOP! We might have even DM'd on it!

I remember we were amazed at when we'd go down those stairs, they were so steep, we'd catch air and actually LEAP off the top of them, instead of going down them. I don't know why it was such a big deal back then, but it was for some reason.

Also, I remember really liking the room with the 2 moving side walks.

About the candle lit pathway. I think it's just invisible/clear textures. You can't walk under it either. But you can walk under the rope bridge.

I took 2 screenshots. One of the stairs and one of the sidewalk.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291756147

So that's how you do instant dropping sectors....I always thought they involved reject data. Nice, that means I can start using them in my next project. (I always had lots of cool ideas for these sectors but was never able to use them)

greg_br549 said:

Ah UAC Dead, fond memories, I think it was the first add-on I played.Yes I remember the invisible bridges with the candles marking the way, kewl.So I presume this is what some people have referred to as the 'Crystal Sectors' trick.

Little Faith said:

It does have it's flaws though.Such as secret doors without clues...

I don't mind them as long as you don't have to look too far but yes obscure ones should be clued.

Rumi is nice. I like the wiiiiide door, its probably not a new effect but I dont think I've seen it before :)

*snif* Brings back nice memories. I was still using a joystick instead of a mouse back then. I think it was one of the 1st dozen custom wads I played from the Maximum DOOM CD.

I was talking about UAC_dead. (I don't see the "post subject" for some reason.)

Virgil said:

*snif* Brings back nice memories. I was still using a joystick instead of a mouse back then. I think it was one of the 1st dozen custom wads I played from the Maximum DOOM CD.

Hey fellow ex-joystick user:)
Yeh,Post Subject doesn't seem to be working.

Little Faith said:

I does have it's flaws though. Such as secret doors without clues to their existence of which one is actually needed to finish the level.

There is yet another nasty little flaw/bug in UAC_Dead....I believe after Doom version 1.666...the Doom.exe "666" sector tag trick does not trigger the red key sector to lower down to the floor for some crazy reason....thus not allowing the player to continue through the level.

greg_br549 said:
There is yet another nasty little flaw/bug in UAC_Dead....I believe after Doom version 1.666...the Doom.exe "666" sector tag trick does not trigger the red key sector to lower down to the floor ...

v1.2 - there were quite a few changes between v1.2 and v1.4 which broke many PWADs. The 666 effect was limited to ExM8 levels by v1.4 & later I believe.

Yes, but uac_dead is an E1M8, so (like phobos anomaly) it should be fine. As far as I can remember, it worked the first time I played it on v1.2 but never again after that. Then I got Ultimate DooM and it worked every time.

(yes, it's a truly classic level, one of my all-time favourites)

magikal said:

Hey fellow ex-joystick user:)
Yeh,Post Subject doesn't seem to be working.

No one uses it/pays attention to it. Hence it's gone.