Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Quake-inspired vanilla or Boom wads? (+other games too)

I'd be interested to see a wad, which directly emulates Quake-style aesthetics and gameplay. Possibly even without Quake textures, just with the stock Doom ones. That doesn't matter to me. What I'm after is the feel. I'd prefer if the wad managed to capture the feel well.

Do you know of any? Any that you would recommend? Please list only vanilla, limit removing, or Boom wads.

Alternatively, I'd like to ask the same question for Duke Nukem 3D and Hexen. And you know what? Let's generalize the question to any interesting examples of "Game X"-styled emulations in a standard Doom engine, no ZDoom or similar. I'm specially curious about the three games I've mentioned, though.

Darkening E1 --> quake
Darkening E2 --> quake 2

Kesler's "beyond death" used Quake 2 as a point of inspiration, whether it was successful or not is really the player's call
Dawn of the Dead had a few Quake upright teleporters, as I recall

Thank you for the tips.

Thanks to this thread, I've discovered Zaero. I enjoyed the pace and cohesive atmosphere going on there. Unfortunately I got lost on the first map and was unable to find out where to go next, which is when I lost my excitement.

I've tried Darkening, but it doesn't really feel my taste. Even considering how old the wads are, their first maps of Darkening 2 gave me a worse feeling rather than better (weird progression and non-unified gameplay). I liked Darkening 1 a bit more, but it was more like a set of linear maps with lots of pillars rather than Quake gameplay emulation. I didn't play it whole, only a little, I admit.

Still, what I meant and what I'd prefer would be some brownish compact maps with dark unsettling atmosphere and Quake-like mostly setpiece gameplay. Or Duke Nukem 3D semirealistic, not entirely serious nonlinear maps, encouraging exploration.

Some of Kesler's Metal maps use a lot of Quake textures, giving it that Doom meets Quake feel of gameplay. Duke Nukem 3D, there's Revolution! which has semi-realistic maps. The space station maps of Icarus including the Vrack series might count since they remind me of the Lunar Apocalypse episode, my personal favourite in the game. Now, with Hexen, there's Eternal Doom as Da Werecat suggested, but there's also Alien Vendetta. Few maps in that megawad have some Hexen vibe to it, particularly Map 25, which had tons of exploration aside from large-scale slaughter. I also hear Mordeth is another one that emulates Hexen in terms of exploration, even if it's just a six-map demo.

MAP09 of the MarsDoom demo is a Heretic-style map, complete with DeHackEd Heretic Imps. Of course it also had shotgun shells that would turn into chicks with bat wings and whips.

scifista42 said:

Thank you for the tips.

Thanks to this thread, I've discovered Zaero.

Thanks for the link! I really liked the Zaero mission pack for Quake2 and wasn't aware of this hommage. I' m really enjoying it so far, nice complex layout.