Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RichardDS90

Making multiple Bosseyes.

Hello there, am making a Smash TV style area. Is there anyone that knows how to make a second bosseye with different properties that'll still shoot spawncubes?

What different properties would you like? Do you mean just multiple BossEyes in the same map, or multiple types of BossEyes with different behaviours? The first case is self-evident, for the second you might need to get familiar with ZDoom's DECORATE coding.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:BossEye
http://zdoom.org/wiki/DECORATE
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Actor_properties
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Actor_flags

I already sorted to DECORATE to make it drop monsters not usually spawned by the BossEye. The second one is to drop weapons, power-ups, items, etc, etc, which again, I've sorted, both of which I wanna have on the same map and both are to spawn in the target spots.

Now I see. Sounds like you probably don't well understand inheritance yet. You can certainly make as many derived objects from BossEye as you want, and use them on the same map. Objects (correctly, actors) are identified by an editor number, or they can replace another object type (which is probably what you were doing).

You have two possibilities:

actor BossEye1 : BossEye 1111
{ code to spawn monsters... }

actor BossEye2 : BossEye 2222
{ code to spawn weapons... }
You'll have two types of BossEyes, neither of which will actually replace the original one. You can place them in the map by placing a thing with the specified number (1111, 2222). You should be able to find them in Decorate tab in Thing types when placing a thing - assuming you're mapping in UDMF or Hexen format, at least.

Or you can do this:
actor BossEye1 : BossEye replaces BossEye
{ code to spawn monsters... }

actor BossEye2 : BossEye replaces DeadLostSoul
{ code to spawn weapons... }
Now you've replaced original objects. If you put a standard BossEye in your map, you'll get your modified one (the first). If you place Dead Lost Soul (it's a thing in Decorations), your weapon-giving BossEye will appear.

Do note that with ZDoom, if your intention is just to have a way to spawn lots of enemies/items, you can probably do this much better with ACS than using a whole bunch of boss spawners.

^ I agree, ACS can allow you better customizable behaviour and timing than hardcoded BossEye special.

I'm not too great with ACS, but will try and use the inheritance method later on. Once I've sorted, will release a beta of my WAD.

Wouldn't the BossEye clones all fire at the same spawntargets though? So you'd just get a mish-mash clusterfuck of weapons and monsters all over the place. Not sure that this is what you want.

BaronOfStuff said:

Wouldn't the BossEye clones all fire at the same spawntargets though? So you'd just get a mish-mash clusterfuck of weapons and monsters all over the place. Not sure that this is what you want.

I've put the targets in a inaccessible area, which are in a scrolling floor and since there are seperate teleport linedefs for both monsters and weapons/items, it should be okay.

I'm interested to see the results of what you're working on. A secondary spawner for items/ammo is a great idea and I'm surprised it hasn't been used more often - it would be nice if the items had their own spawn spots apart from the monsters as BaronOfStuff hinted at. Wonder if that's possible through decorate or ACS? I dunno, I just use Dehacked - if I can't do it there, I give up. Then again I'm one of those vanilla nutters.

EDIT: vanilla nutters sound like delicious bits of candy.

Doomkid92 said:

I'm interested to see the results of what you're working on. A secondary spawner for items/ammo is a great idea and I'm surprised it hasn't been used more often - it would be nice if the items had their own spawn spots apart from the monsters as BaronOfStuff hinted at. Wonder if that's possible through decorate or ACS? I dunno, I just use Dehacked - if I can't do it there, I give up. Then again I'm one of those vanilla nutters.

EDIT: vanilla nutters sound like delicious bits of candy.

Well the closest I got are seperate mapspots for both items and monsters when they teleport in.

BaronOfStuff said:

Wouldn't the BossEye clones all fire at the same spawntargets though?

Yes. They will not use different pools of targets, they will all randomly choose which target from all targets present in the level.

And even if you prevent the spawncube projectiles from reaching their destination, it just means they'll get stuck in place, not that they'll look for a different projectile they can reach.

Thanks a bunch, Scifista42 about the inheritence, it turns out that I needed to do the same with the spawn shots, all are working correctly along with me getting slaughtered on testing. :P