Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

Good At Doom™

Episode 1 Good At Doom™ run in 1:59. Uses good.deh (included!).

Dime has already bested this paltry attempt by a good ~45 seconds, but as a partial instigator of the method I feel the need to post my run here. The rules can be read about in the text file provided or in this thread, but in short: gib yourself.

------
mod edit: Merged GAD demos into the announcement thread because of the strong topicality. This way, you can just grab them all without combing the regular threads.

e1good-159.zip

What is Good At Doom™?

In 2012, Xaser blew himself up with a rocket launcher. Well, he does this quite often as it turns out (faster than quickloading!), but it was the first time in which the spectacular event rendered the player "Good At Doom". From here on, both Tarnsman and myself admired the phrase and came to employ it liberally in streams and Doom Radio. Indeed, it would only be a matter of time before this spectacular show of self degradation made its way over to the speed demos subforum.

In order to register continuous runs and for heightened strategy and simplicity, the speed runner version of Good At Doom™ simply requires that the player gib himself by any means, at which point the .DEH file provided will carry the player on to the next map. Conveniently, this restricts the ways the player can die to just one of three methods: rockets (either via one's own or a cyberdemon's), barrels or telefragging - the original Good At Doom™ methods. Of course, since gibbing yourself via rockets or barrels requires you to achieve the negative of your starting health in one blot of damage, you're going to need to manipulate monsters and other means of harm into getting you below that critical, juicy threshhold. This is where the real fun comes in.

Rules Recap:

1. Gib yourself as fast as possible. The good.deh file will complete the map for you at this point.
  2. If there is no means to gib yourself in a continuous run (no barrels, RL's, Cyberdemons or IoS monster targets on a map30), complete the map regularly as fast as possible.
And that's it!

Here's the .deh file which should be packaged with every attachment. It replaces the player's XDeath scream with the A_BrainDie action, allowing the player to exit the map.

Quite interesting.
I did a few easy ones for Plutonia.
Map 3 in 0:05
Map 6 in 0:03
Map 7 in 0:03
Map 30 in 0:02
Map 32 in 0:02

plgood.zip

Doom: Episode 3 Good At Doom™ in 2:14. The only disappointing map to report is E3M1 due to its lack of immediate GAD material, although it does get points for being the first map that can be exited by regular means faster than by gibbing (not that leaving via the exit is an option, of course). The time is probably beatable by at least 15 seconds.

e3good-214.zip

AD_79 said:

D2TWID D2ALL TAS* in 7:22.

*TAS because I used rerecord at the start of every map. Also, MAP17 used some slow-motion to get the death exit more easily.

Is there really no way to gib yourself on map 15? Also, what's with map 24, there's two barrels at the start, why do you go for the rocket launcher?

4shockblast said:

Is there really no way to gib yourself on map 15? Also, what's with map 24, there's two barrels at the start, why do you go for the rocket launcher?

MAP15, I didn't see a way to do so that would be faster than exiting normally. Do I HAVE to gib myself if there is a way to?

As for MAP24, oops :P

AD_79 said:

MAP15, I didn't see a way to do so that would be faster than exiting normally. Do I HAVE to gib myself if there is a way to?

As for MAP24, oops :P

Rules:
"Gib yourself as fast as possible. The good.deh file will complete the map for you at this point. If there is no means to gib yourself in a continuous run (no barrels, RL's, Cyberdemons or IoS monster targets on a map30), complete the map regularly as fast as possible."

Doesn't say anything about having a choice not to gib yourself if it's slower. :P

Would give you a chance to fix map 24 as well if you redid it.

Well shit, that means I have to redo a lot of this. I suppose if I want to be legit at GAD, I'll rerecord starting from MAP15.

D2TWID D2ALL TAS (rerecords only, wasn't doing slow-mo because I was feeling lazy) in 7:09.

This is identical to the previous run up until MAP15, which now includes a GAD exit which is faster than the illegal way I did the map the first time.

Also, now with MAP24 in 3 seconds!

(It seems like the only way to get a GAD exit on MAP17 is to play with multiplayer things on, so I exit that map normally in this)

30idgd709.zip