Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViewtifulJC

Doom Beta announced with pre-order of new Wolfenstein

DooM_RO said:

Doom is a PC franchise. The proper way would be to play it on PC.

I hope they focus more on the PC so it wont be what Duke Nukem forever was.

DooM_RO said:

Doom is a PC franchise. The proper way would be to play it on PC.

I have a laptop, which has no mouse. And this laptop can not handle such advanced graphics. I'd be lucky if RTCW can run on this thing.

William Blazkowicz said:

I have a laptop, which has no mouse. And this laptop can not handle such advanced graphics. I'd be lucky if RTCW can run on this thing.

Then get a respectable PC. Doom is first and foremost a hardcore PC game, and I hope Id don't intend to change that. I expect the graphical fidelity and the art to have the same impact as D3 did in 2004. I don't care that 2 Radeon 290x can't run it on ultra, I want it to look awesome and play awesome and cheap laptops and consoles are holding back this vision.

DooM_RO said:

Then get a respectable PC. Doom is first and foremost a hardcore PC game, and I hope Id don't intend to change that. I expect the graphical fidelity and the art to have the same impact as D3 did in 2004. I don't care that 2 Radeon 290x can't run it on ultra, I want it to look awesome and play awesome and cheap laptops and consoles are holding back this vision.

I hope the graphics aren't as hard to handle as Crysis or something. The way the new Shadow Warrior presented its visuals was just perfect, They didn't make the graphics to hard to run but didn't make it look too outdated.

Doominator2 said:

I hope the graphics aren't as hard to handle as Crysis or something. The way the new Shadow Warrior presented its visuals was just perfect, They didn't make the graphics to hard to run but didn't make it look too outdated.

It's not perfect, at all and it's certainly not the standard I expect from Doom 4.

DooM_RO said:

It's not perfect, at all and it's certainly not the standard I expect from Doom 4.

Well I highly doubt that we will get graphics like Crysis, I mean the game is going to be on consoles too.

Crysis 3 came out on consoles, Battlefield 3 and 4 as well. It is possible that D4 will be PC first, Willits said that if they could they would develop only for PC but the bills have to be paid and the money's in consoles.

I think I'll rant for just a minute. Now, we all know that the Doom Beta has been transparently made available with the preorder as a cheap way to crank out a few more bucks from rabid Doom fans, who have been blue balled for the last six years by id, who of course has kept their lips sealed. But why the hell is the FAQ so vague?

The response to what the Doom Beta is and how long it will last is almost sarcastic: "We will be providing more information on the specific content and duration of the beta test at a later time." So they can't provide information on something that's on the cusp of release? Not a single iota? It's not in alpha form, it's in BETA.

When does the beta start, the FAQ asks, a very basic question. Again, nothing but vagueness; we're told only that it's TBA. This is extremely unprofessional.

Lastly, the FAQ pussyfoots around whether or not the beta will be open, another question that should have been answered already.

Now, I'll admit, I'm out of the loop. I had a rant-y chat with a gamer friend of mine yesterday, who mentioned the various ways the gaming industry keeps fucking over gamers (the most notorious being microtransactions, preorders that have content otherwise unavailable in the game, not being able to play offline, etc.). Is this just another one of those things? I mean, what happened to the days of a lengthy, free demo and lots of press info?

GoatLord said:

the gaming industry keeps fucking over gamers (the most notorious being microtransactions, preorders that have content otherwise unavailable in the game, not being able to play offline, etc.). Is this just another one of those things? I mean, what happened to the days of a lengthy, free demo and lots of press info?

The demo version of Classic DOOM on xbla only lets your play for like 3 minutes, or til the exit of e1m1, whichever comes first. I found that pretty annoying when I first got my 360 a few years back, as the whole first episode is meant to be free - could they have not at least given us 2 maps, or maybe 10-20 minutes?

But yeah, to cut the BS, I'm pretty sure it's just another way to screw buyers over. The market seems to assume all gamers are retards who will shell out money even without a half decent preview of what to expect. It's not EVERY game/company that does this, but it's far more common than it was in the old days. Market saturation, you gotta love it.

Doomkid92 said:

The demo version of Classic DOOM on xbla only lets your play for like 3 minutes, or til the exit of e1m1, whichever comes first. I found that pretty annoying when I first got my 360 a few years back, as the whole first episode is meant to be free - could they have not at least given us 2 maps, or maybe 10-20 minutes?

Bethesda probably thinks that if they give the first episode for free then its like giving away something for free which makes no sense since almost every pc can run doom nowadays and you could easily get the shareware.

You can even play shareware doom with extremely accurate emulation in a browser window. They owed it to the consumer to make the first episode available for free.