Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

Doom Wad Station Review Thread 2014

Zorah seemed to really like this one. He gave it a good write-up anyway. The screenpics look really good and he says this is a MUST PLAY (his words, not mine). So, just throwing that out there for those of you who haven't played it yet.
The review: http://doomwadstation.net/2014/ph_e0100/

And, if you want to submit your own was for review, check out the submissions page:

http://www.doomwadstation.net/submit/

All the info you need to submit to DWS is there. Enjoy the review of Escalation II: Centurion Night and be sure to give it a go....

To be perfectly honest there is far more coming in than the three of us can currently keep up with. Let's face it - we all have jobs, families, lives..... lol

It's not glamorous and there is no pay but, you get your name in lights (not really). Well, there is the joy of playing other people's maps and telling them exactly what you think of it. And, of course, if it completely sucks or is a joke wad you can always inform me and I'll just dump it. I do need another hand or two on the reviews though, so if anyone is interested please email me. Use the subject line - I want to review (or something similar).

All I ask is that if you really do want to do this that you can write...well. Please feel free to submit a short review of something that you've played using the normal format on Doom Wad Station so that I can judge your writing skills and your ability to dissect a map. :-)

It's been almost two weeks since we got a review up on the site - every body is pretty busy - but I finally got around to checking out Zorah's weapons mod - very cool with character classes, new weapons, etc... Definitely worth checking out - http://www.doomwadstation.net/2014/doomzone/

Also, Blue Paladin finished a review of a map called Escalation I: The Breach by Phobus. That can be found here: http://www.doomwadstation.net/2014/escalation/

I know that Zorah is working on one and since I have some time to kill today, I'm going to take a look at another one today. Blue Paladin will also be looking at another map but that might not come in till next weekend. So, we'll see what happens. Anyway, for today - two new toys to play with - enjoy!

Awesome! Thanks for reviewing my map man. It was pretty flattering, and the comment on the music gave me a good chuckle (also if you're wondering why I package the sounds effects seperately, they used to be included in the wad but some players aren't very fond of them, so it was a way of making the sfx optional). Something I did notice though is that the screenshots and the review are of neb04.wad (Nebula 95: Drown Stone Casette B), but the title of the article and the download link point to neb01.wad (Nebula 95: Nebula Shrine), which is a different map =P. Not a biggie though, and once again thanks for taking the time to do this.

I bet I know what happened there. I had to write a batch file to load the sound with the maps and I'm willing to bet that it played the last map on the list. That explains something. Hmmmmm
I'll change that title, so it's right

Brad_tilf said:

From the review:

Holy crap, where do I begin... This map is one hell of an experience. It's moody, it's eerie, and it takes classic gameplay and turns it into something unsettling. Click the pic to download

See all the 2014 Doom 2 reviews here:

Thanks so much for the review, Zorah. It means a lot to me. :)

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Uh, I didn't review it. And yes, Blue sent in a bare bones review but so what? The point is, he gave you the basics and the map is available for download. I'm not going to give shit to a guy who is doing something for nothing, and neither should you

P.S. - have you SEEN some of the new wad reviews on this site? Bare bones doesn't mean you can't get a feel for what he saw. Deal with it

Brad_tilf said:

I'm not going to give shit to a guy who is doing something for nothing, and neither should you

Will you extend this principle to when you review terrible PWADs? Because they are made by unpaid people as well but if you can't question their worth it's quite pointless to review them.

Brad_tilf said:

Uh, I didn't review it. And yes, Blue sent in a bare bones review but so what? The point is, he gave you the basics and the map is available for download. I'm not going to give shit to a guy who is doing something for nothing, and neither should you

P.S. - have you SEEN some of the new wad reviews on this site? Bare bones doesn't mean you can't get a feel for what he saw. Deal with it

My bad. I thought you referred to another review (which was bare bones), and so you posted this one to show how it was supposed to be done, haha. I see now that this one was indeed the bare bones one itself.

purist said:

Will you extend this principle to when you review terrible PWADs? Because they are made by unpaid people as well but if you can't question their worth it's quite pointless to review them.

I, and the other reviewer, have actually discarded quite a few pieces of shit that simply weren't worth reviewing. We have also reviewed some wads of questionable quality because they weren't so bad that they didn't deserve a review. It's a judgement call, to say the least.

Well, if this doesn't bring you back then nothing will! Dr. Von Loon was apparently feeling creative and provided me with this double dose of fun. There are two mods - one for Doom and one for Doom 2. Pick your favorite map and throw this on top for good measure and then blast the hell out of Teletubbies, Barney, Pacman, The Energizer Bunny and more and try not to take it too seriously - the graphics are straight out of a mid 90's or so play book. :-)

http://www.doomwadstation.net/2014/tubbyland/

Zorah pretty consistently gives fair reviews for what a map is and is not. He gave this one high marks for design and middle of the road marks for difficulty because it wasn't overly difficult or overly easy.
The author James "Phobus" Cresswell has consistently provided us with some good mappage and this time is no different. Here's the link to the review and download:
http://www.doomwadstation.net/doom_reviews/2014/e2mwalter/

In other news, I am currently working on a couple of different maps - The Temple of Doom by the crew over at Risen3d and also a Doom 3 map called Abandon All Hope. Both look pretty good so far.

Blue Paladin is working on Vile_Lib and SS is working on another review of a mod called 666. So lots going on. Lots of reviews to do and lots of dooming to be had. Enjoy the new review. Peace. Out

Allow me to repsectfully disagree with Zorah on this map's difficulty. Based on Zorah's review, I downloaded this expecting a nice, relaxing Ultimate Doom experience. What I got instead was 374 rompin' stompin' monsters, including enough Pinkies and Spectres to choke 3 Cyberdemons, and woe betide you if, like me, you fail to find the Zerk or Chainsaw, because your ammo stores will drain down putting these jagoffs away. On top of that, I was mobbed to death twice by these roughians. Want more? How about a shitload of Cacos and Lost Souls, and 8 rather well-placed Barons, and 55 Sergeants, and so on and so on.

All told, this is one of the most fast-paced Ultimate Doom maps I've played. 4 deaths total. I finished with only 63% kills, meaning there were significant fights in secret areas. Worth noting, life would have been easier for me if I hadn't fallen prey to expectations at the very beginning. ;)

Anyway, once the action gets going, and it doesn't take long, this map falls into a Double Impact level of difficulty, IMO, and you will get precious few opportunities to stand around with your thumb up your ass to think about things, because you will be perpetually under fire, especially if you play as incautiously as I do. True, it's not the hardest map out there, not even the hardest Ultimate Doom map out there, but it's a bit rough and one helluva workout. I liked it.

Unlike Zorah, I found this map to be almost entirely linear, though the Bigass Computer Room had enough side-mazes to offer location-optional combat. Most of the other encounters just put a large number of enemies in front of you . . . to distract you from all the enemies about to appear behind and to the sides of you. Attacks often came from multiple heights as well as multiple directions, exactly as they should for maximum excitement. Traps were continually more severe than I anticipated -- thanks, Zorah! It was you who had me primed for an okey-doke map. ;D

BTW, I also elected to run for the exit after starting the Cyb/Baron fight.

I'll have to play more maps by this Phobus guy, because I was very pleased with this one. I did agree with Zorah on the expertise with which Phobus captured the E2 style and ambience, while at the same time making a map 10 times as intense as any IWAD E2 map. Well done, Phobus!

That's the thing about doing a review, isn't it? It's all a very personal experience depending largely on your skill level. I'm glad you played it and enjoyed it though. There have been a few reviews of his maps over the last couple of months so please, go through the newer reviews and play them up.
On my side, my skills are much more average and if I had done the review, that would have been reflected in the way I handled the difficulty level. Either way, the point is to bring these maps to the attention of the community, allow them to play them and decide for themselves if it is something they enjoy.

You're right, Brad, it's all subjective on the difficulty based not only on skill, but also on playstyle. My impetuous style is just the thing to get me in trouble in a map like this. ;D Someone with a more deliberate and thoughtful style, or with quicker reflexes than me, will fare better.

But as you say, the point is to highlight the maps and let us know about them. After all, Zorah really liked the map, and so did I, and I wouldn't have known about it without the review. I was just in the mood for an Ultimate Doom map and saw your post, so I looked.

The name of Phobus is familiar to me from his many posts on DW, and I know he's done a lot of maps -- the experience shows -- I just hadn't played any before unless I played his E3M6 from Doom The Way id Did. That's gonna change. I will indeed check your site for more reviews of his maps.

Keep up the good work, Brad!

Edit: Now let's see if we can get Zorah to review Double Impact.

Double Impact is not mine, it is a full E1 replacement by Ralphis and RottKing. Can I submit someone else's maps? Not to say that Double Impact needs much exposure -- it won a Cacoward in 2011 ;) -- I'd just be interested in seeing Zorah's reaction to it because it's generally viewed as a standard-setter for relatively difficult yet still fun Ultimate Doom maps.

I'll have something of my own to submit in a week or two.

Sure. If you want. And if you specifically want Zorah to do it, just mention that - probably best to use my email link on the site if you're going to do that

I forwarded that on to Zorah for you. He said that he remembers playing that at one time so he's going to play it and review it. He said he doesn't remember much but he remembers it was HARD. lol

Awesome! I look forward to the review. And just for shits 'n giggles, I pistol-started Double Impact's E1M2 last night to see if the difficulty matched the Phobus map, and it did, because I got killed 4 times in each. ;D But ... there's harder maps than that in Double Impact.

Judging by the pics and Blues colorful colloquialisms, it looks as if there is a challenge to be had here. Have at. Enjoy and don't forget to send the author a thankyou note for sharing.

http://www.doomwadstation.net/2014/vile_lib/

P.S. It looks like we're pretty much caught up to all the submissions, so if you have a map you'd like to submit, here is how:

http://www.doomwadstation.net/submit/

:-)

As I like the DWS reviews (and you seem pretty keen on my maps), I've uploaded my latest single-map release, Big Woodchip, for review as well. I won't go back through old stuff though, to avoid monopolising your time... Well, that and quite a lot of the older stuff is pretty bad!