Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phml

Blatant gggmork fanboyism - one copypaste map for Boom+

Blagggmf V5

-complevel 9, difficulty settings included.

An attempt to parrot gggmork's numerous copypaste maps. Well, there's the copypaste part, if nothing else.

No custom music for this level, but I'm using PSXMUSIC.wad alongside it, so you could do the same. Or you can stick with those sick D_RUNNIN beats. The possibilities are limitless.

---

[Edit: removed dead links]

I'm glad I have fanboys.. because... well, I am a pedophile. It was quite interesting to see how you approached the magical realm of copy/paste (there's also this great tool called cut which I use even more on all my shittier entire maps).
At first I played FDA (I really tried to beat any map ever on FDA at least one time but failed, even though I could probably make pretty short work of it on uvmax, it seems like 1/4th the difficulty of lcp1 or whatever I named it.
But anyway, the architecture seemed like normal phml style, and it was only after the fda I iddt'd and saw the square tile based prefab construction. You can be even lazier like me and copy paste monsters along with the tiles (but wouldn't work well for small square tiles probably). Things in nature and manmade things tend to have symmetry (in the sense of the core definition of the word, not just mirror symmetry but also slides/rotations/flips/even scales/etc) so copy/paste often all just fits together and looks good as a whole. There's sort of a sweet spot regarding how much line-of-sight blocking columns are in the way, important since too few means everyone infights to death and too many is less of a problem but becomes harder to navigate and reduces infighting. Often my monster/line copy pastes result in incorrectly guessed gameplay- too hard or too easy, which often is fixed by scaling the whole map up or down which is a weird way to change difficulty by increasing/decreasing overall spacing (and messes up all neatly aligned textures).
Here's my FDA (Fail Doom Awkwardly):
http://speedy.sh/Bqfsx/blagggmf-fda-ggg.lmp

Thanks for the FDAs!

Many of the monsters were copypasted, but it's hard to resist meddling with things. Just like you I feel this doesn't look much different from my usual stuff. Possibly because my maps are already highly repetitive. Might as well embrace the copypaste.

The HOM lifts of doom were a lazy last minute addition for co-op, didn't feel like making a voodoo doll script. Ditto for those stairs with yellow bars that don't open with the yellow key, I kept falling down and was tired to have to walk all the way back. Hasty changes always cause twice as much work...

There's a new version, just small changes and fixes (aforementioned issues + added extra health in final room and removed a bunch of pillars).

gggmork said:

I'm glad I have fanboys.. because... well, I am a pedophile.

My barely legal FDA for the latest version (v2?). I died in the fight behind the red door. I didn't feel like replaying the long beginning again while recording. It was fun, but a bit lame with only a normal shotgun. Adding a ssg and more PE's and zombiemen to make it more of a challenge to move around could be fun. A harder fight at the RK pick up is almost mandatory. Just that cybie was kind of a let down. Anyway, I don't think you care that much about tweaking this map to perfection :P

Nice job

Another FDA to waste some of your time before Game of Thrones is out : here
( v2 )

Pretty cool slaughtermap. It's actually easy compared to ggg's map, even if there are many more heavyweight monsters and big guns into play.

The BFG9000 fight did scare me though :p

uvmax in 12:04. It might work to leave that pocket of 3 viles etc till after the red door (go back and do them with rockets). Or just kill them right when you get the (yellow?) key. Or maybe just race to exit area then clean up all beginning parts later w/ bfg.
http://speedy.sh/uX4xp/blagggmf-v2-uvmax-1204-cl9-ggg.lmp

Funny, danne didn't find the SSG in this map (slightly hidden but walk forward from start) and wilou didn't use the ssg at all in my map (but that's because he tends to kill all killable monsters before switching/triggering stuff for fda, and the ssg was only available at the end.

Thanks for the demos guys (haven't watched gggmork's max yet). Nice run Wilou, cautiousness pays off. ;)

Ramping up the red key part seemed like a good idea, coupled with toning down the BFG fight a bit more, so there's a v3.

I might make more maps like this, it's pretty fun; but if I change my mind I'll definitely submit the level to SF201x.

"Run to the exit" is probably the smart strategy. Not only you get the BFG, but there's plenty of cells in the level, especially if you skipped through everything and hardly used the plasma gun.

Nice map. Isn't annouing like many slaughterfest maps, and visuals are pretty good. Also it doesn't become much easier with phmlwep.wad, since there is plenty of barons and demons.

I don't get it...
I went through the entirety of the gggmork catalog a few months ago while sick, nearly had my heart explode on Harbringer.WAD, and I still don't understand. Maybe I'm just unenlightened.

Jaxxoon R said:

I don't get it...
I went through the entirety of the gggmork catalog a few months ago while sick, nearly had my heart explode on Harbringer.WAD, and I still don't understand. Maybe I'm just unenlightened.

Little white mouse or whatever (her?) name is made harbringer, not me. I just had it in the same folder due to laziness. The only thing to get is that I often use copy paste, and phml did this time too. Or something.

FDA for v3:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/39aqfb

I wish more so-called 'fanboys' could produce something like this...
Great stuff as always. A little bit of chaos (not really gggmorkian) in an otherwise pretty forgiving and perfectly manageable map plus recognizeable aesthetic style make for one hell of a ride from the beast of Phml. Not hard but still fast and entertaining, just the thing I wanted. The only thing that sucks is the ending, for obvious reasons I suppose. We should invent something new.
Still - keep up the great work, mate!

Thanks for the kind words!

What bothered you about the ending? I suppose I use those small relatively non-threatening group of AVs right before the exit a lot; and blocking the player off in the first part + dropping lined up hordes contrasts with the rest of the map. But I kind of like the whole thing. I can be oblivious when it comes to those things, feel free to elaborate (if you feel like it).

gggmork - cool run. The sprint to the exit was impressive. Past the three minutes mark you play more conservatively. I think being aggressive could give good results considering the amount of cell ammo around. Perhaps it'd make sense to skip the cell ammo near the teleporting cybie and the blue key door too, even though it's unintuitive; because you're going to want to grab the first secret megasphere anyway, and there's four cell packs there. And you're probably going to go back to the blue key door to clean stragglers anyway. Another option could be to spam the plasma gun early on and get some damage done, ideally on PEs and AVs.

I think demonologist is referring to the fact that it's pretty much a bad joke at this point to end a slaughtermap with a brick of AVs :p

anyways I'll echo other's thoughts: fun map! pretty easy, but overall enjoyable. The spaciousness lends itself to plenty of rushing and havoc-creating, definitely makes for enjoyable fda'ing/demoing and such. The tile-based design is certainly fun, I think it's noteworthy that were enough distinct areas such that the block composition wasn't obvious until iddt'ing (at least not to me).

Def make more!

Ribbiks said:

I think demonologist is referring to the fact that it's pretty much a bad joke at this point to end a slaughtermap with a brick of AVs :p

Exactly. We're all sinners in that regard...
When I said about ending - I was referring to this moment alone, bfg fight was really cool.

Ribbiks said:

The tile-based design is certainly fun, I think it's noteworthy that were enough distinct areas such that the block composition wasn't obvious until iddt'ing (at least not to me).

Same. Copypasting mastery, heh.

Ribbiks said:

Def make more!

Yes please.