Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sokoro

Lack of fat, mentaly or physicaly handicaped characters in rpg games

yep, they are pretty rare cases, even thought that real-world seems to be full of weirdos and lazy fatasses.

I could even think about FPS games, but in those, most of your enemies and friends are warriors so it is understantable.

The point of these games is that the important characters are heroes. They are strong, fit, talented, charismatic, and attractive.

I'm not sure that Whomp! The RPG would gain much traction.

I am not talking about Player Character, but about NPC.
It seems that developers just copy the bodies with only slight alterations, out of lazines!
Sometimes they even copy their personalities.. dialog etc.
Two different characters using identical sentences!

It depends in what kind of enviroment you move: in barbaric setting fatasses dont have a change in fight against muscular and faster opponents or at desert there isnt as much food as in city or some paradise setting. Only place where I can imagine fatasses live in fantasy rpg world are big cities where they are merchants or inn keepers who drink alot and eat whole chickens like nuggets

Morrowind has a fat, crippled, formerly-insane dwemer genius!

This is part of the general problem of a lack of divsersity in game characters. Any given game will have only a few personality types, a few body meshes, maybe a few more faces, a dozen or so voices, and no children. If creating all the assets were easier there would be more diversity in games. Films have it easy. The extras can be people hired from the bus station.

Gez said:

The point of these games is that the important characters are heroes. They are strong, fit, talented, charismatic, and attractive.

True, but you'd still get some outliers that don't follow conventions. However, I can also imagine the authors being reluctant about using such characters simply because they might end up catching flak for it. One wrong step and you get the concerned parties pointing out how stereotypical and mocking such characters are and the Political Correctness Corps calling for lynch mobs because of the Insensitivity and Chauvinism.

So yeah. Fat merchants and sheiks, one-eyed characters, amputees with hand-, leg- or crotch-cannons and utterly mentally unhinged crazies are so common, because they're safe. Don't want to endanger profit for reasons that can be easily avoided and ignored.

EDIT: I'd totally love a game based on Dick & Zelazny's Deus Irae.

Phml said:

Just about every guard in Skyrim has a physical handicap.

hahaha that is like the first arrow in the knee joke that is actually funny :)

Sokoro said:

I am not talking about Player Character, but about NPC.

Alright then!

Mellthas, a playable char in Albion, was deaf-mute. It'd give you a nope when trying to talk to people with him as the party leader, heh.
Cassidy, a companion in Fallout 2, had a bad heart and could stroke out without pills.
In classic adventures, I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream and Sanitarium deal heavily in crazed characters, but I think only Benny was truly mentally handicapped. Artificially.
In FPSs... uh, maybe Superfly Johnson should count?

The GTA games run the gamut with fat characters and all sorts. Hell, London 2 even has wheelchairs you can steal. How RPG they are varies from game to game, but San Andreas lets you be a fat fuck if you like, whilst crazy is an option in 5.

In the original two fallout games you could set you intelligence so low as to be mentally deficient, yet still have a chance to beat the game.

Technician said:

Mother 3 has a cripple.

Mother 3 is full of unique characters, but that's partially because the whole game takes place on a series of islands, not around the whole world like Earthbound. it makes the whole game feel rather tightly-knit, though, as none of the characters are a carbon copy of another (except for the numerous scientists and Pigmasks, but those weren't part of the islands in the first place).

All the gnomes, halflings and dwarves were kind of plump in Arcanum. I think there was some fat npc in Fallout2... one of those mafia bosses. All the rats were kinda fat too. Torr was kinda mentally simple.

Most characters get physical handicaps when they interact with player...

Games for like any other part of entertainment business - everyone is attractive, fit, etc.

An "ugly girl" in a typical movie usually means "a hot girl with weird clothes and glasses". Same goes for computer NPCs.

Killer 7 has several cripples, mentally and physically.

Patrol1985 said:

Games for like any other part of entertainment business - everyone is attractive, fit, etc.

An "ugly girl" in a typical movie usually means "a hot girl with weird clothes and glasses". Same goes for computer NPCs.

Doesn't mean we can't have some variety.

There are plenty of fat RPG characters.... none of which I can think of offhand.

dew said:

True, but you'd still get some outliers that don't follow conventions. However, I can also imagine the authors being reluctant about using such characters simply because they might end up catching flak for it.

And they still catch flack from the Kotaku SJ crowd because they are not catering to the snowflakes. You cant win.

To be fair, consider how many mentally handicapped people have been played as comedy relief rather than as, y'know, people. Also, Pokemon had specific sprites for fat trainers in the overworld, and had several different varieties of larger dudes you would battle.