Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
quakke

List of CoD-clones

mrthejoshmon said:

Compared to the older Halo games, it is a lot more like CoD but not an actual clone of it.

But why did the have to get rid of dual wielding, flamethrowers and the hornet?

Khorus said:

It's useful in the non-HD games against kamikazes because it has no wind-up time (you can use one bullet on a kamikaze in close range to put distance before the second) and marsh hoppers because the minigun puts out way too many bullets. It does the exact same damage as the minigun in the classic games, but the minigun does twice the damage in the HD version while halving the firing rate which makes using the Thompson a waste of ammo.

oh, that makes a lot of sense, actually. i dunno why they did that in the HD games, for; i actually own the classic versions of the games, but the most recent playthroughs have been of the HD ones. then again, i heard the HD re-releases were rather buggy in some aspects, so i guess i shouldn't be surprised this happened.

Doominator2 said:

But why did the have to get rid of dual wielding, flamethrowers and the hornet?

One thing was that the developers changed, it used to be Bungie but then Micro$oft changed them for a shitty company called 343 Industries who can't make anything good (Lets see, they made the useless Halo Waypoint, they made Halo Anniversary which is just a HD port of the first game, they made the abysmal Halo: Spartan Assault and they also made the failure known as Halo 4. They also practically broke Halo: Reach with an update that changed the game to such an extent that the multiplayer for it was unplayable for a week or so).

Avoozl said:

Halo is pretty much Call of Duty: Future Warfare. :P

Nah, it's more modernized Marathon than CoD. Note that Halo's gameplay is about attrition, weakening your enemy and not allowing them recovery. You've got ground and air vehicles, jump pads, as well as emphasis on effective side-arm use (either dual-wield, other weapon slot, and grenades). There's definitely an emphasis on vertical movement, especially once they removed falling damage.

CoD on the other hand is about catching the enemy by surprise or otherwise immediately killing them (pop-n-stop), flat movement on foot (no jumping or vehicles), and often focus on a single weapon. Halo is much more arcadey, and frankly requires more strategy than CoD.

Da Werecat said:

It's not about what I think about Doom successors. I have the ability to perceive games on their own.

Nevertheless, I will help you with your propaganda.

Serious Sam and Painkiller are good games, they are fast paced, even if they aren't exactly 90's retro. Rise of the Triad may be flawed but it is the only one that feels like a 90's game.

I never liked the player speed in Halo. I like some of the firefights though. Halo 2 and onwards never inspired me much, though.

What kind of clones is it that you hunt, Clonehunter? Clones of people? Clones of animals? Clones of software? Clones of hardware? Are you the bladerunner of clones? Are you a clone yourself?

I tried to use it as a plot for a story once, but I gave up on them. I think it was the first and last two items on your list.

Otherwise, I do like Doom clones.

Your username gives me the impression of a retired clonetrooper who still uses his armor and is a hunter.

40oz said:

Wow this thread really got ought of hand with the hair splitting. Umm doom clones and codclones are both bad for the sane reasons. They're lacking in innovation and original thoughts and ideas. A call of duty clone is tricky to describe in excruciating detail, but in general its a game that's designed in such a way that if you've played codmw before, you'll have no trouble adapting to the general flow of the game, which as quakke describes as having regenerating health, taking lots of cover, aimdownsights, and other stuff.

Agreed. Seems like i threw gasoline into fire by creating this thread:D

Also agree that yes, technically DOOM-clones are also bad. But i still feel if DOOM-clones actually atleast put you to think and challenge you (unlike CoD-clones), that they are then for the better. Ofcourse it'd be nice to have Skate-kinda innovation in FPS, but that takes some serious skills to develop something completely new and yet cool.

40oz said:
in short, someone who's really accustomed to those game play elements found in call of duty and similar games would have a lot of trouble adapting to doom or a game like doom because the primary objectives are different. Like in that article about how doom is still a great game, the game play is more focused on using your swift movement and reaction time to evade the monsters different attack patterns, which aids a panicky escape from hell / run for your life type of game. Because of call of duty cloning, sometimes you'll see a game where a new kind of gameplay is expected and you don't get it. [/B]

Exactly. DOOM and CoD are played pretty much completely differently from eachother, and most newgen gamers don't do too well in DOOM, due to becoming so accustomed with health regeneration forexample.

40oz said:
I feel more shooters need what the skate series did to the Tony hawk series. It created a fresh new set of rules and controls and game play elements that were still essentially designed to fit the scope of the game. If there were more shooters who were more comfortable with explaining new rules to their loyal customer base and giving them a brand new environment to adapt to, wed have much more interesting games in the shooter market. But at the moment, we have plenty call of duty clones. [/B]

Wolfenstein: The New Order is starting to change this CoD-clone thing.

40oz said:

You're right, that was my thread, and it wasn't very informative. I didn't really know of many games off hand and wasn't really sure how to accurately research it without buying a bunch of games on my own. I was hoping the community would help me flesh it out in a Wikipedia sorta way.

glad you took an interest in it because I'm pretty curious of the survey results too. :)

No problem :) I have a huge passion for especially FPS, since i pretty much started games with Wolfenstein 3D on PC and Mario Bros on NES when i was about 3 years old. And seeing how FPS has been so badly butchered at the moment, i'll gladly make a thread that explains about it.

40oz said:
not sure about that. A few months ago I was seeing battlefield 4 commercials on tv. When I saw it again, I said to my wife "this that really loud annoying commercial I was talking about," and I was seriously convinced until it said cod ghosts at the end that it was alternate bf4 commercial. The visuals, background sounds and noise and presentation were virtually exactly the same.

I mean it was just an ad, but every comprehensible detail was pretty much the same. I mean, what's stopping them from continuing the ww2 theme? There's really dispute about the element of bandwagoning there [/B]

Yeah, those TV ads can be very annoying. I was also very annoyed by the CoD Ghosts commerials since i wasn't even slightly interested in that "game".