Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
36appl0912

help using downgrad.zip to play doom 1.1

Hello, I am honestly kind of a noob when it comes to dos games and patches. I follow the instructions and run the patch.bat file with dosbox. It seems to work but I cannot figure out how to setup doom from their or play it. I would love to play the original doom in it's pure unpatched form but could someone give me a clearer tutorial rather than the one included with the patch software and precisely tell me what to do.

It's hard to tell which part you're having difficulty with.

Maybe start from first principles. Ignoring all the patching, what version of Doom do you have? Ultimate Doom on a CD? Something like that?

I have the steam version of Ultimate Doom, latest patch. I put it in a new directory and then unzipped the downgrade folder into the copied directory. I run the patch.bat file and it says Doom is patched but I cant find the wad or exe, or run the setup.

I would suggest you download 1.9 shareware, drop the wad from steam into that folder (delete the shareware wad), and then run the patch inside that directory again with dosbox.

I don't think the steam version even includes the setup .exe.

The steam versions of the dos doom games are not the BFG editions. You only get that if you actually buy Doom 3: BFG Edition (and they will only be in the Doom 3 BFG Edition game folder).

Other than time stamp the dos re-releases are identical to 1.9, I personally use those and have successfully downgraded to 1.1.

Mike.Reiner said:

The steam versions of the dos doom games are not the BFG editions. You only get that if you actually buy Doom 3: BFG Edition (and they will only be in the Doom 3 BFG Edition game folder).

Ah, thanks for the info. This makes Beth's decision to edit the
BFG-Version iwads even less understandable. This means that they sell DOOM in two different, incompatible versions simultanoeusly...
Great JOB!

DoomGater said:

Ah, thanks for the info. This makes Beth's decision to edit the
BFG-Version iwads even less understandable. This means that they sell DOOM in two different, incompatible versions simultanoeusly...
Great JOB!

Yeah, because catering to the needs of the modding community has always been a cornerstone of the official Doom marketing.