Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

I would like to review some Doom 3 maps

So, hey, if you have one, and you think it's pretty good - let me know. Time to start adding new reviews to the site. :-)

Ya, I have that on my tc's page.
Nope, I'm looking for something like regular maps that somebody might want reviewed - something fairly recent would be good.

http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Demon_Genes;104567

This is a map I made and released near the end of 2009. It took around nine months to make, and was how I learned a lot of the things I currently know about mapping. Obviously there's still a lot of rookie mistakes there (lighting is shit, pacing is off in some areas, etc.) Still, there's enough well-done aspects of it that I can look back and feel proud of it 4 1/2 years later.

I just read the review of Demon Genes. I appreciate the positive feedback. I do remember having the morgue freeze on me a few times when I was testing the map, and maybe once after I released it, but the occurrences of this seemed so sporadic that I wasn't quite sure what was causing it. At one point, I had a swinging light in the morgue, which was constantly penduluming back and forth, and the freezes had seemed to cease for the most part after I removed it. Had I known that it was happening consistently in the specific case set the reviewer describes, I definitely would have fixed it. Anyway, thanks again for the positive feedback. I stated in the description that I had originally intended for this to be a two-part download, with a follow-up map (where you would meet a lot of the bigger creatures that this map didn't have), but as it was, I joined the Hexen EOC team just about a month before this map was finished(plus being in school full-time back then), so I definitely didn't have time. I could maybe see myself going back someday and making a part 2, but if I did, I'd have to go back and make serious revisions to part one, with the mapping knowledge and skill I have now that I didn't back then.

I also noticed you're looking for Doom 3 total conversions, so I'd suggest visiting the Hexen: Edge of Chaos page---www.hexenmod.net. There's a demo we released back in November of 2010 there, and we're still hard at work on our next release.

Caffeine Freak said:

I just read the review of Demon Genes. I appreciate the positive feedback. I do remember having the morgue freeze on me a few times when I was testing the map, and maybe once after I released it, but the occurrences of this seemed so sporadic that I wasn't quite sure what was causing it. At one point, I had a swinging light in the morgue, which was constantly penduluming back and forth, and the freezes had seemed to cease for the most part after I removed it. Had I known that it was happening consistently in the specific case set the reviewer describes, I definitely would have fixed it. Anyway, thanks again for the positive feedback. I stated in the description that I had originally intended for this to be a two-part download, with a follow-up map (where you would meet a lot of the bigger creatures that this map didn't have), but as it was, I joined the Hexen EOC team just about a month before this map was finished(plus being in school full-time back then), so I definitely didn't have time. I could maybe see myself going back someday and making a part 2, but if I did, I'd have to go back and make serious revisions to part one, with the mapping knowledge and skill I have now that I didn't back then.

I also noticed you're looking for Doom 3 total conversions, so I'd suggest visiting the Hexen: Edge of Chaos page---www.hexenmod.net. There's a demo we released back in November of 2010 there, and we're still hard at work on our next release.

Thanks for the heads up but I've known about that mod for years. I'm pretty sure if you go to the tc page for doom3 on Dws you'll see it there. I'm actually a mirror for the downloads. :-)