Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Six

German Guy Sells His Game Collection

A guy from Germany is selling off his rather rare collection of games, one of which includes sealed copies of Doom including the ID Anthology, of which 4 are sealed.

He's also parting with other sealed games such as Duke Nukem, Blood, Shadow Warrior, Rise of the Triad, and more.

He's auctioning a lot of the bundles for 10k, which is a bit steep. However he does ask for a best offer, because lets face it, unless you're rich you won't have a spare 10k laying around.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/bugzz-1987/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

He might be open for single auctions, he seems desperate to get rid of his stuff.

Edit: I'm just going to give you a run down of how many copies of each series he has and how many are sealed.

Doom: 74 items, 60 sealed
Blood: 44 items, 43 sealed
Shadow Warrior: 5 items, 5 sealed
Quake: 66 items, 58 sealed
Duke Nukem: 54 items, 43 sealed
ID Anthology: 6 items, 4 sealed
Rise of the Triad: 7 items, 4 sealed
Redneck Rampage: 18 items, 15 sealed

There's other auctions, but they may or may not be relevant to your interests.

Would love to get the Shadow Warrior and Blood copies but I doubt I'll be able to afford his prices.

An impressive collection, but way outside my price range. Though that's somewhat academic if he only posts to Europe.

Why german sellers always set high prices for everything compared to UK prices. Like If I wanted to buy old console from ebay.de its always more expensive than on ebay.co.uk and its the same exact item, just the powercord is diffrent and in many consoles it doesnt matter because you can just buy the powercord separately

I wish him luck. I don't see any of these games going for those prices. I've dealt a lot with game traders and they'd rather swap meet for cheap shit to fill their collection than go all out and buy everything all at once. That kinda kills the hunt. Plus German shipping. Unspecified German shipping.

Impressive collection indeed. I wonder why he's selling it off. Almost sad in a way.

Even if I was Bill Gates, I don't think I would bite at some of these prices. Impressive collection though.

Also, he seemed to make a funny with Shadow Warrior's pricing.

He's not made any real calculation on the value of the items it seems, otherwise he's calculated his Doom collection at almost £135 per game. That's not including the ID Anthology either.

The Blood collection is even dearer, valued at £227 per item, and don't even get me started on the Wolfenstein bundle.

Eventually he'll probably reduce the asking price, seeing as he's just trying his luck. Though i don't see it ending in his favor.

I'll add to the chorus saying he's pricing them way too high. For example, the Id anthologies have a price of £2,542.00 for 6. That's £423 each. For comparison, I got my (pristine) copy of the Id Anthology a couple of years ago for ~£200. Even if they're sealed, I'd think that would only add an extra £50-100.

Something I often read about in other gaming communities (especially the collector ones) is people often put up high-priced gaming items/sets like these, not to actually sell them, but just to show off. Don't ask me the rationale behind this, I don't even think about it. But it seems to be the case a lot of the times.

buttspit said:

people often put up high-priced gaming items/sets like these, not to actually sell them, but just to show off.

I suppose eBay's insertion fee's a small price to pay for bragging rights.

Is this guy serious? As impressive as this collection may be, I don't think anybody is going to pay thousands of dollars for them.

GreyGhost said:

I suppose eBay's insertion fee's a small price to pay for bragging rights.

The ebay fee is something that always comes to my mind when I read about these. There was a guy who put up an NES game for over $70 000. I mean, it was clear as day that he had no intention of cutting it at that price; just wanted everyone to know he's one of maybe 4 others in the world to have a CIB copy of an already rare title. He did have that Best Offer button, but naturally, he turned down the realistic offers (ie, all of them).

But anyway. I do wonder if the fee is a fixed price or calculated based on selling price. And is it a rate or single payment (EDIT: checked eBay, just seems like fluff of caveat fee information). The latter cases would make bragging not so enjoyable, I imagine.

Keep in mind that someone may surprise everybody by legitimately making these large purchases, but that's not at all often the case. Other times, it's troll accounts that commit to buy and leave it at that.

From brief reading, there's indeed a fee after the sale, but a listing fee may be applied as well.

And the final value fee keeps climbing, in Australia it's now nudging 10% and they're cheeky enough to include postage costs when calculating the final value. Listing fees are (by comparison) a token charge and in some countries sellers are allocated a monthly quota of free listings, which are used first.

I never really got the whole "sealed" thing - for any type of collecting. I guess it's because I'm not into collecting for the sake of collecting, where having the item is more important than what the item was originally for. Unless, the original purpose of an item was purely to be collectable. In that case (perhaps illogically) I am less bothered by it.

I mean, I know that being sealed means that the item is in mint condition but no one is even going to check that. There could actually be a completely useless disk inside the box. No one would know or care. It's sealed.

I guess, that kind of collecting is just not my thing and I find it alien that, effectively being useless, makes the item in question so much more valuable.

I'm not really a serious collector of anything but I do have a few small collectionettes of stuff. I generally prefer stuff that has been visibly used. To me, that adds a depth and history to the item (even if I may not know the details). Good condition is, of course, nice, but a dent, scratch, stain or some other non-critical flaw is actually quite nice to my way of thinking.

And it usually makes stuff cheaper. :D