Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Venk

help with monster teleport

Tryin to make a monster funnel to cause enemies to spawn after a switch is hit. I am using doombuilder 2. Help please?

Tryin... and something not working or what? More info please.
You can look at Doom 2 map13 for an example. Make sure the monsters aren't deaf or else they won't hear you.

Well, i made a distant room, and made a door open when a switch is hit. Past it the "w1 teleport (monsters only)" us set to a single linedef linking to a sector with the same number. The monsters should be teleporting but arent, but i figure i may just not have built this correctly

There could be more issues to it, but the most likely one is that the line (prefixed by W1) only works once. Meaning if one monster uses, he deactivates it for all the other monsters.

If you're getting one monster to teleport and not the rest, there's your issue. If you are getting none at all on multiple occasions, there might be an additional problem that we could help solve with more information or the map in question.

(if you're not interested in sharing the map yet, perhaps create a test map with a similar scenario and show it to us.)

Is there a teleport destination in the sector where the monsters should be appearing?
Do they wake up at all? (you can check with IDDT or IDCLIP)
And yeah, a simple example map would really help with identifying your problem.

I would be happy to share my map (as its nothing special its my first try) but my internet is only free at night and i work night shifts. Thanks though. And despite the fact that they are not deaf, and they arent in a block sound room, they still arent hearing. To clarify though, i did clip over to the room and make them aware but they still did not teleport

Okay, have you done something to make them hear the player? If you just put them in some box completely disconnected from the rest of the map, of course they won't hear. You need to either connect it with some part of the map where the player will make a sound via a small tunnel (you can use Doom 2 MAP13 rocket launcher trap as an example) or merge it with some sector. In Doom Builder select two or more sectors and press "J": that will make them one (note how the result depends on the order in which you select the sectors to merge). Now if the player makes some noise in one part of that sector, the monsters in other parts will also hear him.

And if they still don't teleport even after you awake them... again, is there a teleport destination object in the sector where they should be teleporting to? Does it exist on the skill level you're using to play? Also, are the monsters able to actually cross the teleporter line, maybe it is just too close to a wall? To cross a line, technically a monster needs to touch it with its center if I understand correctly.

I am really not sure if i have their destination correct. I tried linking a square 32x32 sector to the same number as the teleport line, but that isnt working

You need the teleporter line to have action 97 (WR Teleport) and have the same tag as the sector where the monsters should be appearing. AND you need to put a "Teleport Destination" object somewhere in that sector.

Have you ever made normal teleporters just for the player?

I have no clue what a teleport destination object is, and no this is my first teleport build

Create any object, right click on it and select Teleports->Teleport Destination. Place it where you want the monsters to appear. Without a teleport destination your teleporter will never work!

So is that in the edit thing menu? Or actions of lindefs/sectors?

Yes, it's in the same window where you select imp, shotgun, medikit or whatever.