Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

40oz said:

MAP07: Dead Simple has one pillar made of BROWN1. The rest are made out of Stucco or some other brick texture. There is apparently no secret or other reason tied to this.

Possibly missed it when they changed the textures for the map or something.

-

I learned the hard way that vanilla mapping is a pain in the arse, constant visplane and what not checks in every room as well as opening doors and running to the other side of the map to see if it causes a VPO...

I already take ages to make a Boom map damn it!

EDIT: Also "Doomed Member" exists... Heh.

"Wollt ihr das Bett in Flammen sehen?" (Rammstein - Herzeleid)

Also a reload sound of the pumpgun.

William Blazkowicz said:

You can Gib enemies with the Plasma Rifle.

I've managed to do it against zombiemans and shotgun guys, but not chaingunners or imps (well, with doomsphere from skulltag yes, but i meant the original way.), i don't know why.

____

Classic dooms lacks of dopefish in easter eggs, why they didn't place one reference of it in Doom or Doom 2?

Fine, i'll do it.

Ledillman said:

I've managed to do it against zombiemans and shotgun guys, but not chaingunners or imps (well, with doomsphere from skulltag yes, but i meant the original way.), i don't know why.

Zombiemen have 20 HP, shotgun guys 30, imps 60, chaingun guys 70.

The plasma rifle does 5-40 damage.

To gib an enemy, you have to get them to less than -100% health. So, -21 for a zombieman. Imps and chaingun guys just have too high starting health to be able to do this with the plasma rifle.

plums said:

Zombiemen have 20 HP, shotgun guys 30, imps 60, chaingun guys 70.

The plasma rifle does 5-40 damage.

To gib an enemy, you have to get them to less than -100% health. So, -21 for a zombieman. Imps and chaingun guys just have too high starting health to be able to do this with the plasma rifle.

What if said monster was involved in some infighting first?

FuzzballFox said:

Even if it had 1 health you couldn't pull it off.

Elaxter said:

Your BFG doesn't harm you. (At least in ZDOOM/GZDOOM)

I forget if there's ANY official port that has a BFG that can harm its shooter. I mean, I think the SNES version had splash damage for some reason, but not owning a copy, I couldn't say.

FuzzballFox said:

You need to put them to below negative starting health. So an imp (starting health: 60 hp) needs to go to -61, a chaingunner (70 hp) needs to go to -71. To be alive, a monster needs at least one hit point remaining. So to gib an imp you need to deal it at least 62 damage, and to gib a chaingunner you need to deal at least 72 damage. Plasma ball deals at most 40 damage.

You can gib a zombieman or a shotgunner because their gib health is within range of a plasma ball's damage, but imps and chaingunners need heavier weapons, like BFG or rockets.

Shadow Hog said:

I forget if there's ANY official port that has a BFG that can harm its shooter. I mean, I think the SNES version had splash damage for some reason, but not owning a copy, I couldn't say.

SNES port was made without the Doom source code. It's really a Doom clone using Doom resources, like a Doom TC for a custom engine. Game logic was inspired by Doom's but made from scratch and they made some mistakes or simplifications.

The brick texture the status bar gets to the left and right of it when you play at a high resolution. It's the norm for me now, and I wish I would have known about it years before. Makes it look more neat, in my opinion.

William Blazkowicz said:

And Demons/Spectres are able to Gib zombiemen.

Cell said:

And Demons/Spectres are able to Gib zombiemen.

Demon's bite does pretty much the same damage (4-40) as the plasmarifle (5-40). That said, they can hypothetically gib shotgunguys too, if the bite did maximum damage and shotgunguy's health was below 10.

Honestly, these are all way too rare situations. Far more often I see zombies or even imps being gibbed by a hellknight, mancubus or revenant, or of course the cyberdemon. It's fun to see. As well as a lost soul that bumps into a barrel, which explodes and kills it. That happened in Katamori's latest video showing a playthrough of mouldy's Going Down, MAP12, and I've experienced the situation myself too, somewhere else.

Guest Unregistered account

All this talk about monster gibbing reminds me of a hilarious moment in AltimaMantoid's Plutonia Map23 YouTube playthrough, where, at one point, a former human shot a Revenant, which turned round and punched the zombie into gibs, which flew up the stairs it was standing on. And Altima didn't even notice.

This was pointed out on the comments by someone.

The Doomed Speed Demo Archives logs 1,050 demos for the megawad Hell Revealed by Yonatan Donner and Haggay Niv, making it the highest ranking PWAD in number of documented demos, and amounting to a grand total of 132 hours, 21 minutes and 34 seconds worth of demos to watch.

Holy shit.

Do you all know e1m5 where you get the yellow key? Just found out you can strafe jump through that to get to the area that raises the bridge.

this is kind of hard to explain without images so...

these hallways are 67-px wide approximately. the monsters there are 62-px wide (demon, spectre, caco, PE). they can move fine here.

but if I turn the map 45 degrees like this so the halls are diagonal:

and then test the map, they actually cannot move. very interesting.

edit: here's an in-game screenie of a caco unable to move in the diagonal alley. in the first type of alley, he would be attacking me, but not here.

AFAIK things in the Doom engine are actually square, not circular. So in the diagonal alleys, the monsters' bounding box is overlapping with the lines.

Yep. In Doom Builder's settings you can choose to show things as squares to see the true bounding boxes.

I'm not sure if this will help, but if a monster is 32 pixels wide, then it will be 45 pixels diagonally. If it is 64, it will be 90, and so on.

looks like both of you are correct.

I just found "square things" in the Preferences just now x_x. wonder why it isn't a default setting with DB2.

Getsu Fune said:

I just found "square things" in the Preferences just now x_x. wonder why it isn't a default setting with DB2.

That was amateurish.

Bloodfalls

it took me a while to realize that this square water block at the exit actually has HOMs on the sides. cool effect.