Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cynical

Detailing the ceiling over a lift in Boom comp?

So, I've got a room where the entire floor lowers into a trap using a generalized linedef that targets "lowest adjacent floor" with direction set to "up" so it happens instantly. I don't want this room to have a flat ceiling. But when I make more sectors to put some detail on the ceiling, obviously the lift functionality breaks, since only the sectors bordering the "low neighbor" sector will lower correctly.

Is there an easy way to make this work? If all else fails, can I just brute force it by making a dummy sector for each sector created by ceiling detail?

Unfortunately yeah, you'll have to have control sectors of some sort. Although if you can you can join some of the sectors to remove chaff.

Hooo boy... with a sector count of 44, this is going to hurt.

Hopefully I can bring that number down with some joins...

If you're using Boom, you can set up some voodooscript action to lower all the sectors by a fixed amount maybe? Like have a voodoo doll cross several "lower by 24" lines, or the like.

Unfortunately even if you're setting up all the sectors to move together as lifts, in Boom there's no way to force the game to treat them as one single lift, so it'll be possible for the sectors to get out of sync if a player or monster bumps against an adjacent ceiling while riding up the lift.

This can be avoided by keeping low ceilings away from the lift, or if you're really adventurous it might be possible to use some flat bleeding tricks to do what you're after while keeping the actual lift as a single moving sector. See the diagonal lift past the yellow key door in MAP04 of Back to Saturn X E1 for an example of how to do that.

By the way, not sure if you have thought of this already, but you don't need to create dummy sectors outside of the map. You can just put little untextured holes in the lift's sectors like this: http://i.imgur.com/XtWiDRV.png I find that much easier to do.