Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Blastfrog

Strife

I know that EE is primarily for Doom, but I was curious if Strife support is something you're open to in the long-term. I'm under the impression that Strife doesn't make nearly as heavy changes to the underlying engine as Hexen does. Obviously and understandably, it's still a lot of work and likely low priority, so it doesn't matter if it's something that would occur years down the line, if ever. Please don't be under the impression that Strife support is something I take seriously.

The reason I bring it up is because I think Strife would be a really neat application of Eternity's portals. Though it would only be a very minor improvement, having a 100% seamless world would be a cool novelty.

It is both planned and has had a very small amount of progress made toward support of it (cross-fade screenwipe implementation, and ability to load Strife's unique texture format, mainly).

There would be a few problems with an all-the-game-in-one-map thing with Strife, notably with the castle and the front base, also the alarm status (the alarm in sanctuary doesn't close the shops in the town, etc.).

Gez said:

There would be a few problems with an all-the-game-in-one-map thing with Strife, notably with the castle and the front base, also the alarm status (the alarm in sanctuary doesn't close the shops in the town, etc.).

I know it wouldn't work too well as-is, but I don't think woekarounds are entirely out of the question.

Alarm status could be handled via a user-defined script instead of relying on the internal method. Same with the things that share IDs while spawning different actors according to the present map. Make them entirely separate instances.

If there is ever a method to change portals mid-game, that could be used. If not, the pre-programmer-defeated maps could be duplicates, though this would have the unfortunate side effect of nullifying the player's previous actions. I suppose one could compensate by making more desolate, used versions of the town and surrounding maps. Probably remove quest characters to imply that the Order disposed of them, and also account for you possibly having killed them prior. Leave most enemies dead or missing, activate all permanent switches and remove pickup items (probably leave major secrets hidden, though empty, so as not to spoil them to players unaware of them). Could also provide an excuse to use the teaser content like demo Front base music for the Front controlled castle rather than redundant music, different decorations in town, different music and prisoner in sanctuary, etc.