Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RUSH

What Is Art?

RUSH said:

But in reality so much of art you see at exhibits is complete rubbish - or is it?

People recently noticed a giant brick (about 5 feet cubed) of compressed used plastic bottles sitting on the street near where I live. After many resident complaints, the city confessed that it was an art piece for which they paid a local artist $10k.

Heh, the line between Art and Scam seems to be crossed quite frequently. That dude made some serious profit, I've often considering selling shoes with dogshit on them or something as fine art worth thousands, but in truth I think I'd rather have earned my tiny amount of money than rip others off to acquire loads of it.

I remember there was this woman who dressed up as a vagina or a penis and walked around the town. I think some people complained about it.

AndrewB said:

People recently noticed a giant brick (about 5 feet cubed) of compressed used plastic bottles sitting on the street near where I live. After many resident complaints, the city confessed that it was an art piece for which they paid a local artist $10k.

Probably be worth a few dollars if you carted it off to the nearest waste recycling depot.

GreyGhost said:

Probably be worth a few dollars if you carted it off to the nearest waste recycling depot.

But it's art! Art is priceless! Or is it worthless... I forget.

Beauty is art. Thats all, those abstract paintings like the black square is just something that needs an explanation.

Doomkid92 said:

Heh, the line between Art and Scam seems to be crossed quite frequently. That dude made some serious profit, I've often considering selling shoes with dogshit on them or something as fine art worth thousands, but in truth I think I'd rather have earned my tiny amount of money than rip others off to acquire loads of it.

I'm happy to sell effortless crap to the kinds of wealthy people dumb enough to buy it. Now if only I could figure out how to make them like it.

Aliotroph? said:

I'm happy to sell effortless crap to the kinds of wealthy people dumb enough to buy it. Now if only I could figure out how to make them like it.

Give the art a backstory. It needs to represent something. Value quadruples.

edit: This large blob of paint that forms a black circle that I made in about 20 seconds represents the darkness surrounding a creature that is sad because it is the last of its kind. The circular brush marks form thousand upon thousands of thin lines which represent the thousands upon thousands of years which this proud race has reigned over its habitat. They started as few, and now with one left, everything has come full circle, giving the shape of the effortless blob.

£1000 please.