Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Darch

going vanilla (not really)

I'm starting to map for vanilla, but I'm not sure how to test its compatibility.

I tested it with chocolate doom; crashes by limit overflow right at the start. So I need a limit remover port, as close to chocolate as possible. (strafing would be nice).

I downloaded Boom and PRBoom+, but can't run none of those; Boom seems not to be compatible with my windows version (7) and PRBoom shows an error message saying Doom2.wad file isn't exactly where it is (inside PRBoom folder). I even matched the capital letters, with no success.

So, does somebody have a link for me to download a limit removal port (for complelevel 2 maps, I think), or any fix to these issues?

Maybe try setting the DOOMWADDIR environment variable? Here's instructions for Win7.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm

If you start using multiple ports it's a good idea anyhow because that way you can stick all your wads in C:\games\doom\wads or wherever, point DOOMWADDIR to that folder, and then all recent ports will find them.

On that note, where did you install PrBoom+? You shouldn't put it in Program Files, you might get access permissions that way.

You might also want to check out Crispy Doom, which is based on Chocolate Doom, but with some raised (not unlimited) limits and some other minor enhancements.
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/source-ports/67168-crispy-doom-1-2-update-10apr14-fixed-mouse-look/

Ummm, so what are you mapping for again? Mapping for vanilla means that your maps should work in doom2.exe and of course in Chocolate Doom as well. So if they crash Chocolate Doom you should be looking for a way to get rid of that crash, not looking for another port.

Sounds like you're actually mapping with "Doom 2" format in Doom Builder but for ports that don't have any limits on visible sectors and such? That would be called "limit removing" then.

plums is not wrong, but there's just One True Way for efficient vanilla testing. chocorenderlimits. GhostlyDeath's coding might have checkered past, but this choco hack is a brilliant tool for exactly what you need.

memfis: Crashing vanilla over and over to zero in on overflows is something that probably awaits playtesters in their own circle of hell. Of course you need something that doesn't crash, but lets you know what's wrong.

In addition to chocorenderlimits it might be useful to download Visplane Explorer plugin for Doom Builder 2. GZDoom Builder has it by default. Despite its name, it can detect various overflows, not just VPOs.

Thank you very much plums, Crispy Doom should be what I am looking for, but it also crashes with my map. So, what's the limit remover (I probably need to remove all limits) closer to vanilla?

Memfis said:

Ummm, so what are you mapping for again?

Well, I was going to map for vanilla, but since I already overflowed chocolate limits and crispy Doom limits at the first room, I think I really need a limit removing port. Going under vanilla probably means nuking the entire map. I'm coming from GZDoom modding, so working under Doom 2 format and stock textures (this is self-imposed) is enough limiting for me right now. But thanks for your tips, that chocorenderlimit thing seems very useful for real vanilla mapping, which is something I want to do in the future.

(edited thread title)

Darch said:

Thank you very much plums, Crispy Doom should be what I am looking for, but it also crashes with my map. So, what's the limit remover (I probably need to remove all limits) closer to vanilla?

PrBoom+, run with -complevel 2 (or 'default_compatibility_level 2' in the cfg).

Darch said:

So I need a limit remover port, as close to chocolate as possible. (strafing would be nice).

Even Vanilla has strafing, so I'm not sure what you mean here.

plums said:

PrBoom+, run with -complevel 2 (or 'default_compatibility_level 2' in the cfg).

Tx plums, so it seems I really got to get PRBoom running. I created the DOOMWADDIR path, but I still get this messege: checkIWAD: IWAD tag doom2.wad not present. Any clues? BTW, it's not installed in Program Files.

fraggle said:

Even Vanilla has strafing, so I'm not sure what you mean here.

I couldn't bind keys, so I had to press one key + arrow to strafe. Is there a way to configure keys in chocolate Doom?

Default keys for strafing (aside from Alt + arrows) are < and >. Obviously, it's not very pleasant for a modern player. It's possible to rebind them using chocolate-doom-setup.exe. Vanilla Doom has an external setup utility too, but Chocolate Doom's one has additional options.

Darch said:

I couldn't bind keys, so I had to press one key + arrow to strafe. Is there a way to configure keys in chocolate Doom?

Chocolate Doom supports this, just use the setup tool. Same way that you configure everything else.

But it's not a Chocolate-specific feature or extension. It has always been possible to bind strafe keys, even in the original v1.0 shareware release from 1993.

Darch said:

Tx plums, so it seems I really got to get PRBoom running. I created the DOOMWADDIR path, but I still get this messege: checkIWAD: IWAD tag doom2.wad not present. Any clues? BTW, it's not installed in Program Files.

This happened to my Plutonia.wad. PRBoom+ thinks your IWAD is a PWAD possibly because you have opened it in an editor like XWE. Best solution is to reinstall the IWAD.

Thanks, purist, that did the trick! I could run plutonia.wad, so the IWAD was the problem indeed.

Also tx fraggle for the chocolate Doom configs.