Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Memfis

First-try Demo Contest #13

FDC #13 will be held on May 18, 18:00 MSK (that's 14:00 UTC). The rules will be pretty much like the last time:

- you will play a wad with 4 maps.
- you will have to record a single demo playing all maps (a movie). If you die, just press USE and continue playing.
- the wad is in vanilla format, so use doom2.exe, prboom-plus with -complevel 2 or other compatible port for recording.

The wad was tested by me and it's pretty cool. The author wants to remain anonymous for now.
If you aren't familiar with FDC, you can read the rules here - http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-speed-demos/56004-first-try-demo-contest-7/
If you're playing in prboom-plus, don't forget to turn off the Intercepts Overflow emulation or else there will be a (very small) chance of a horrible bug happening and ruining your demo. Go to Options -> General Options -> go to the last page -> under "Intercepts Overflow" set "Try to emulate it" to OFF.

Please tell us if you're planning to participate. If we don't get enough people, we will have to postpone the contest I guess.

i should be home and should be there to take part with everybody. if not ill nonetheless make a demo once I'm home without reading any spoiler post before that :)

Well, we decided to let out a little spoiler actually... All the maps fit into a 1024x1024 square so if you were worried that 4 maps is too long for you, now you don't have to worry since all of them are so short and they can't take that much time to complete.

Damn son, unfortunately, yet again, I will not be able to participate due to work but oh well, maybe some other time.

Isn't 4shockblast from Ukraine? :) So you just need to wake up before 17:00, which sounds possible even for me lol.

Memfis said:

Isn't 4shockblast from Ukraine? :) So you just need to wake up before 17:00, which sounds possible even for me lol.

I'm originally from Ukraine, but I live in the Central US. I believe 14:00 UTC is 8:00 Central.

There has to be some kinda alternative to everyone being available at the same time to participate in a single-player oriented event. At this rate I'm gonna miss every single one. Can't get out work on Sunday mornings here.

40oz said:

There has to be some kinda alternative to everyone being available at the same time to participate in a single-player oriented event.

Well, what do you suggest? If we send the wad to different people at different times, there will be a chance of leaks and stuff happening. And it will lose that "live" feel which is a big part of FDC for many of us.

Of course even with the current system all sorts of cheating are possible but they must be somewhat less tempting when your time is very limited (demos sent too late usually aren't accepted).

In the end, people who couldn't make it in time can just record their FDAs whenever they have free time and they might still become informal winners to people who trust them.

Well perhaps the wads could be PMed to the contestants at a time of the players' choosing (within reason), and at that point be given a time limit to submit their demo.

Do the players have anything to gain by leaking the wad to their competition? At worst maybe you could have the players have to pass some sort of honesty test to be admitted in the competition too or something.

PMing could work but that would be more work for Memfis.

How about people voting on a time instead (Google has a tool but I forgot what it was called). And if some people are excluded once, the next time you could try to choose a time that would include them.

Maybe it's just a part of Russian mentality and it sounds weird to others but in our communty we always want to have good enough anti-cheating measures in contests, like in speedmapping contests people are required to make backups every hour to prove that they really made everything during the 4 hours provided, etc. PMing the wad at different times sounds much less safe, plus it would be kind of a hassle for the organizer.

I think I've said this before in some FDC thread and I'll say it again: if you don't worry about all this cheating stuff and you trust everyone here, then just consider the FDAs published after the contest to be a part of the contest as well. Like after FDC on amok.wad, Creaphis posted a demo that was faster than anyone else's, so you can consider him the winner if you want.

And, just to clarify, I'm personally closer to 40oz's point of view in that maybe all these anti-cheating measures should be just dropped but... The thing is, FDC has its history and its authorities and I feel like I can't just decide everything on my own. Maybe if e.g. Hitherto + Heretic + Eternal all say that it's time to make the rules less strict then something might change, but for now the "official" results table will stick to the old rules, and you'll have to decide for yourself what to think about "unofficially" submitted demos.

We usually do ask what time people would prefer but don't get enough responses. We could try that Google thing next time, maybe it will be easier for people that way. Thanks for the suggestion Kotzugi.

It could be made easier if there was a special account for this, you could add everyone to the buddy list so everyone is easily accessible from the user profile page, and you could PM everyone at the same time any crucial information they'll need to know.

You'll probably have to get a pen and paper to jot down when each contestant receives the wad, so you can keep track of what each contestants' deadline is or something.

EDIT: oops missed your post.

I can try to start a discussion about this on the Russian forum. Something tells me that almost everyone will be against the idea of less strict rules but we'll see.

I can understand the day of choice seeing as most people don't work on Sunday, which is 100% understandable. The day isn't bad for me, it's just the time (about 15:00 GMT for me, I think) which sadly for me, I will be stuck behind the counter of a shop which was the reason why I couldn't make the last one. Then again, timezones can be a complete and utter bastard and that's the major problem but unfortunately, that cannot be helped.

Memfis said:

I can try to start a discussion about this on the Russian forum. Something tells me that almost everyone will be against the idea of less strict rules but we'll see.

I kind of see why this would be somewhat controversial; I'm not sure that the benefits outweigh the costs, especially since waiting for every individual player to find time can be problematic because that could take too long. I think, in that case, maybe the FDC time frame could be extended to a few hours, maybe 4-5 or so, so that it still goes relatively quickly, but even then cheating could still happen.

I remember awhile ago, Plut organized a few speedrunning contests here and at the Russian forums; maybe something that allows for players to be more flexible (like the speedrunning contests) should be created?

I have a thought about new speed demo contest, maybe I'll organize it soon, but gameplay of this wad is pretty similar to previous contests, I think now the contest needs something intensive and fascinating, but not very hard, like Speed of Doom map05 or 06 for example...

Memfis said:

Reminder: the contest will start in 11 hours from this post!

ty! do the reminder again closer to starting time, I always get confused by those times and theforum one

oh bah. Ill be out and return late for the contest
ill close the forum and re open when back to partecipate! ;(
gl guys :>

One hour before the start!
Here is the wad in a passworded archive.
Here are the suggested *.bat files (you don't have to use them).

Quick recap:
- 4 maps in the wad
- vanilla Doom 2 format (-complevel 2)
- record one demo (movie) covering all maps
- if you die just press USE to restart on the current map
- remember to turn off Intercepts Overflow emulation to be safe
- time spent on intermission screens doesn't count so you can relax there for a few seconds

We don't have the upload form ready yet, perhaps you'll have to send the demos via email. More info on this later.

Sorry, I made a mistake with the *.bat files. Please edit them and replace "fdc12" with "fdc13". And of course replace NICKNAME with your nickname. :)

I'm ready to participate and have some fun!

Btw memfis, you can update a little your batch in order to set directly the names, you know, with "SET xxx="

set FDC=14
set USERNAME=Ch0wW

set IWAD=DOOM2.WAD
set PWAD=liberty.wad
set COMPLEVEL=2
set SKILL=4
set MAP=1

start glboom-plus.exe -complevel %COMPLEVEL% -file %PWAD% -iwad %IWAD% -skill %SKILL% -warp %MAP% -record FDC%FDC%%USERNAME%

START! Password:

pikapowlispyhills

When you're done send the demo to me via e-mail - [removed]

Demo sent!

That MAP03 is a pain. I've died about 4/5 times in the whole demo!

(Total ~= 21 minutes, "ingame" = 10:27)