Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Full list of Doom clones/similar games?

Outlaws actually uses the jedi-engine, which was developed for Dark Forces.

Just added more games to the list. This is becoming quite long, I wonder if any more are going to surface?

Half-Life,
Half-Life 2,
Half-Life 2 Episode 1,
Half-Life 2 Episode 2,
Gore,
Unreal,
Unreal Tournament,
The Elder Scrolls: Arena,
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall,
I can be here all day!

If you consider that practically for the entire 90s the term "Doom clone" was applied to -almost- every FPS, then compiling such a list becomes a very long task (and a moot one, at that):-)

Superluigieth1 said:

Half-Life

HL, a Doom clone? I can see inspiration in there, but really, the game has quite a lot that makes it it's own beast. I get what you mean but I won't include it for the same reason I won't include Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok etc - They're heavy on the Polygons, simply put :P

Maes said:

If you consider that practically for the entire 90s the term "Doom clone" was applied to -almost- every FPS, then compiling such a list becomes a very long task (and a moot one, at that):-)

Good point, because of the quality of some games (and such a non-specific blanket term used) it might be worthwhile to add tags like "by the way, this game sucks" on some of them.. To avoid wasting peoples time, if nothing else.

Marnetmar said:

What a strange looking game. Is that for DOS or Windows?

Doomkid92 said:

I get what you mean but I won't include it for the same reason I won't include Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Turok etc - They're heavy on the Polygons, simply put :P
?

What's wrong with Wrack? I know it's still in its development, but.

There's nothing wrong with it, Wrack is a lot of fun. It would just be really out of place on this list. I'm sure Carn wants to distance it from the label "Doom clone" as much as possible. (Besides, Wrack is not from 1999 or earlier)

Virtuoso (1994) - a dog of a game that some call a "poor man's Duke Nukem" with a (shotgun toting rock star) player character who's given to spouting manly one-liners.

BaronOfStuff said:

You really don't want to play Isle of the Dead. It barely qualifies for inclusion on the list to be honest.

It's total garbage, but I actually got a good laugh out of it when I first saw it. I even learned that tedious music and can play it on guitar - the melody had potential, but man, what a boring game overall, music included.

Was Faceball 2000 a DOS game?

Would Mageslayer or Take No Prisoners fit? They're top-down with sprites in a 3D levels. Mageslayer felt very much like Heretic/Hexen. Never tried the other game.

Jimi said:

Would Mageslayer or Take No Prisoners fit?

IMO no. Not first person. You might as well say Smash TV or whatever at that point.

I would list Radix: Beyond the Void as Doom clone, since environment is 2.5d and action is similar, if bit more hectic.

Doomkid said:

Was Faceball 2000 a DOS game?

I believe it was for the Game Boy.

There's a Super Nintendo version, too.

And, really, that game dates back all the way to 1987 release MIDI Maze for the Atari ST, so.

Shadow Hog said:

And, really, that game dates back all the way to 1987 release MIDI Maze for the Atari ST, so.

So what you're saying is that we shouldn't call them Doom Clones but instead MIDI Maze clones?

Hahahah, that's right, MIDI Maze is where people really came to love Deathmatch and FPS in general.

This site needs to be renamed to midimazeworld.com

Someone on Reddit said:
Descent was true 3D, not 2.5D. It also used 3D enemies instead of sprites. Pretty much nothing in common with Doom engine games besides being a shooter.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

IMO no. Not first person. You might as well say Smash TV or whatever at that point.

I can see this degenerating into a "But is X Metal?"-like debate.

Plus there's the eternal -at least for me- question of whether driving/vehicular games and military/flight sims should count as 1st person shooters (provided that they are indeed in 1st person view and that they allow you to actually shoot at stuff or interact directly with your environment, and not just fly/drive/walk around).

No offense to anybody here, it is directed towards the concept :
"This is seriously getting degenerating and demented."

You know what, Your television is a clone of Doom !
A chicken egg is a clone of a man his nuts !
Every game ever made in first person is a clone of Battlezone !

Hmm, sorry but i lost every sense of logic and common sense in all these 'modern games suck' and 'everything is a clone' threads. This forum has some gigantic doom fans, and is a temple of fandom, but...
DANG !!!

Maes said:

Plus there's the eternal -at least for me- question of whether driving/vehicular games and military/flight sims should count as 1st person shooters (provided that they are indeed in 1st person view and that they allow you to actually shoot at stuff or interact directly with your environment, and not just fly/drive/walk around).

First person shooters should have been given a better, more specific term, to refer just to the classically accepted "gun-wielding" shooters, and exclude other "games in 1st person where you shoot". I understand first person shooters as a term for a certain game genre - not by a literal meaning, but a commonly known meaning - and then the answer to your eternal question would be: No, vehicle simulators and literal rail shooters are not FPS. And actually, third-person gun-wielding shooters are much closer to FPS.

Good point, scifista. I would go even farther and call Doom The first FPS, in the sense that it:

• Looked sufficiently realistic and not cartoony or Tron-like.
  • Movement wasn't so stiff that the character could just as well be a hovertank or robot.
  • Levels weren't all flat like a glorified Midi Maze with textures
  • Had constantly moving enemies which could fully exploit its environment and mechanics, and which had variety and strategies fit for a GAME, and were not just a bunch of randomly moving drones or obstacles.
  • Had sound and music which were not just placeholders or an afterthought
  • Gave the player full, fluid controls and complete save/load capabilities.
If you take away even one of those aspects, what you have is not Doom anymore. You may end up with Wolf3D, Ultima Underworld or whatnot, but not Doom. And nobody took the genre seriously until Doom as we know it came to be.

GreyGhost said:

Stumbled across another couple of DOS shooters on eBay last night -

Nerves of Steel (1995)
XS (1996-7)

Wow, both are still using what appears to be a Wolf3D-derived engine, 2-3 years after Doom, without even the "benefit" of ROTT's gimmicky heavily modified Wolf3D with jumping platforms. I wonder: was it ever possible to make a FPS without height variations that DIDN'T feel boring and repetitive after a while? I like it that XS has a hi-res (SVGA) menu with a pre-rendered screenshot that looks almost Doom 3 in quality!

XS's engine supported elevations, slopes etc. The Moby Games shots all come from the first map. Co-incidently, there only appears to be one Youtube video of the game, that also only shows the first map.

I have XS myself, but I haven't played it in ages and ages.

I'll again promote: Wrath of Earth. (Probably only place where it has proper screenshots and stuff.)
More like Wolf3D clone due to flatness, but it came -95, so what the heck.

FireFish said:

Hmm, sorry but i lost every sense of logic and common sense in all these 'modern games suck' and 'everything is a clone' threads. This forum has some gigantic doom fans, and is a temple of fandom, but...
DANG !!!

I'm not sure I understand your point, this thread merely exists so fans of Doom can find other games they might enjoy as well, it has nothing to do with modern games "sucking" or anything like that!

Doomkid said:

I'm not sure I understand your point, this thread merely exists so fans of Doom can find other games they might enjoy as well, it has nothing to do with modern games "sucking" or anything like that!

Then i might have misinterpreted the word 'clone' in the topic title and many of the posts here. It might just be a personal taste where to me a doom clone is a game which attempts to be an exact rip-off of doom without ending up in a load of copyright infringement. Games like freedoom perhaps ?