Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PRIMEVAL

Godzilla [2014]

It seems weird to me how much CGI artists are obsessed with detail. I only saw one of trailers but the little bit you can see of Godzilla makes him look like he's melting or he's covered in seaweed or something.

it seems awfully common in newer videogames and stuff, like the possible concept art for doom 4s monsters or whatever. They seem like the focus on such insignificant minutiae like giving it extra rows of teeth and little muscles and tears and stuff, but the overall shape of the being is so uninspired that it wouldn't even look distinguishable from normal from a distance. The movie looks cool otherwise.

No, not Rodan. It's called a Muto. There will be 2 types of them in this movie. A better shot of it, here.

Saw it twice last night. It was really good. Hopefully we can all forget that Emmerich disasterpiece.

I am primed and ready to go see it on Sunday.

Much excitement.

I am always severely sceptical towards Japanese movies and stories undergoing a western remake, usually they never get what it was about.

I am one hundred percent sure this will be an enjoyable well made movie, but still...

My gf wants to see it. I'm really thinking I'll hate it. Since I'm going in thinking that it'll be awful, I'll probably love it.

geo said:

My gf wants to see it. I'm really thinking I'll hate it. Since I'm going in thinking that it'll be awful, I'll probably love it.

But now that you think you'll love it, you're going to hate it.

I'm a pretty big fan of the Godzilla series, I have all 28 films on DVD, I've got to honestly say I have mixed feelings about this movie.

Here's what I thought about the film.

Having new monsters-
The fact that it simply isn't a remake of Godzilla gets major points from me. Garth Edwards clearly took inspiration from the Godzilla 2000 reboot & said alright everyone knows Godzilla & where he came from, we don't need an origin story, lets do our "sequel movie" first. This is a move I'd like to see other people take when adapting films. Also bonus points for actually creating new monsters instead of just bringing a few of the other TOHO monsters along for the ride.

Monster screen time-
While I do appreciate having new monsters I don't appreciate that they got more screen time than Godzilla in his own movie. I think all 3 monsters may have gotten equal screen time, but that equates to 2/3 MUTOS & 1/3 Godzilla. And besides that it felt that there was less Godzilla here than the 1998 film, which is really disappointing. I know that a few of the older films give Godzilla very little screen time, but still if you compare it to Godzilla 2000 again he gets plenty of screen time there.

The Male creature design-
I loved this guy & he is a great addition to the Godzilla universe. While there are some comparisons to the cloverfield monster I think it was offset by the fact that he could fly, & it's also nice that they didn't just turn him into Rodan when he was flying around.

The Female Creature Design-
And then there's this one. This monster is cloverfield. Where they gave the male the ability to fly they should have done something with the female, possibly a ranged attack to combat Godzilla's atomic breath?

Godzilla Design-
I liked the new Godzilla look, similar to the Japanese versions, but still quite unique, plus he wasn't an iguana.

Good guy Godzilla-
Boy did the marketing of this movie ever lie to us. I went in expecting Godzilla to tear up the place like in the original film, but instead we got a half assed backstory & a Godzilla who only wrecks buildings because that is were his prey is. Man, they really seem to have taken a lot of inspiration from Godzilla 2000.

The Final Fight-
The fight between Godzilla & the 2 MUTOS was just awesome, they really did a good job building up that Godzilla might not be able to take on both monsters, but then they did a fantastic reveal of his Atomic breath & then he proceeds to kick ass & chew bubblegum.

City Destruction scenes-
So they do an awesome job of revealing Godzilla for the first time in Hawaii, but as soon as we get a full body shot & he is about to fight the Male MUTO they pull the cheapest crap & cut away to the kid watching the fight on the TV. Then they pull the same crap again when the Female MUTO rampages through Las Vegas. Even though I did like the final fight, it also does suffer from constantly cutting away from the fight to the human characters.

The Characters-
So since the monsters are mostly absent from the film we are left with the human characters for most of the time. I felt that the main character was pretty good & did what the film needed him to do, same goes for the wife & kid. While some people might not like that, I say it's no different that the Japanese films where the humans are just there to move the story along. I felt that the death of the father so early in the film was a bad move, I would like to have seen him helping out with Dr. Serizawa to find a way to stop the monsters. Plus it could have brought a more interesting father/son dynamic with the main character instead of the generic I've got to find my wife & kid & save them. Another reason they should have kept the father alongside Dr. Serizawa would be to offset that completely bland performance from Ken Watanabe. I'm mean seriously though why was he even in the film he didn't even do anything, it's an insult that he has the same name as the character from the original film.

Still even though I have mixed feeling for the movie I did still enjoy it, & I do look forward to a sequel. And who knows, now that Legendary has teamed up with Universal for all of their future movies one can hope that we can finally see another showdown of King Kong Vs Godzilla.

Well if King Kong is going to be the same size as the 2005 movie, Godzilla would just step on him. Wouldn't be much of a fight!

I saw the movie yesterday. I went in with an open mind, hoping to enjoy it and come out of the theater smiling, but that was impossible because that movie was fucking retarded. Seriously. I think the director has ass burgers or something because no normal-minded person would put his name on that pile of shit. I must have giggled/sighed/groaned at the same time about a dozen times during the film.

One example is when the army dudes are looking through the nukage vaults in Nevada and they see this behemoth lumbering off toward the only city in the desert for thousands of miles, which happens to be right next to nukage mountain? And that's not even it. I found it absurd that NOBODY SAW OR HEARD THE DAMN THING BUST OUT. And it's huge! It's even too huge to fit in the fucking room! Explain that shit!

Another example: Why is the dude's wife constantly caught up in this shit, even though it started on the other side of the world?

Another example: I just *love* how whenever the big mothra thing appears, he's real quiet, just slowly creeping along in the distance, ever so mysterious, occasional animal groans and foot thuds... and then when the camera gets up close for the action shot suddenly it's bass! BASS! BAAAASSSSSS!!!!! *Head explodes from vibrations in theater* Seriously, do these animals have subwoofers on their bellies? Is this what you need for a blockbuster film today? Oh, and not to mention the fact that mothra is completely silent and invisible at night while they're transporting the nuke, even though he glows brightly in the daylight.

Another example: Since when does it fucking rain like that in San Francisco? Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but the most I've ever seen there was a light sprinkling and overcast skies. Not the hurricane Katrina-type weather depicted in the film.

Another example: Why is the mothwoman suddenly intelligent when her eggs are destroyed? Regular moths don't give a shit about their eggs. Yet this one not only panics when it sees fire near the eggs (how does it know what fire is?) but it immediately picks out our hero as the mis-doer after the fact. And I loved that moth-expression. Like, "It was YOU, wasn't it?"

There are more examples, believe me. Save your cash. Don't go. Worst 12€ I ever spent.

Saw it yesterday, I thought it was decent. Much better than one last Godzilla from the late 90s.

However, I thought the original Godzilla looked cooler. The new one looked a little too chunky IMO. Nevertheless, I give this movie a 3.5 out of 5.

Krispy said:

Why is the dude's wife constantly caught up in this shit, even though it started on the other side of the world?

Yea, the protagonist's family was really boring to watch. The movie could have benefited if they didn't portray his wife and kid. But I suppose they felt they needed to acknowledge the family demographic.

Krispy said:

There are more examples, believe me. Save your cash. Don't go. Worst 12€ I ever spent.

I'd say its worth catching on cable, when Its available.

The biggest problem I had with the movie is that Godzilla isn't the bad guy. That and the fact he doesn't appear that much in his own movie. I hope the movie get's a sequel where Godzilla just goes berserk and attacks everyone like in the original.

Krispy, the fact that you keep referring to the MUTOs as "Mothra" really makes your little review a bit invalid... I can't take it seriously.

And Kontra, the original Godzilla was chunky, how is this new one any different? Or are you referring to that Broderick flop?

I thought the design of Godzilla was spot on, a homage to the Japanexe originals. And I forgot to add, Not a single fuck was given by either Godzilla or the MUTO twosome when being shot by the army.

Saw it on Friday. It's pretty damn good but far from perfect. I knew Godzilla wasn't featured much until the end so that didn't upset me. Aaron-Taylor Johnson's character is pretty dull. Everything else was awesome. Watanabe's character was fantastic and I hope the sequels revolve around him as the main human character. A solid 7/10. Would watch in theaters again.

PRIMEVAL said:

Krispy, the fact that you keep referring to the MUTOs as "Mothra" really makes your little review a bit invalid... I can't take it seriously.

And Kontra, the original Godzilla was chunky, how is this new one any different? Or are you referring to that Broderick flop?

Idk, i thought he looked a little chunky in the neck. But at any rate, its was still a lot better than the one with Ferris Beuller. But maybe I'm just bias from the nostalgia of the original look.

Kontra Kommando said:

Idk, i thought he looked a little chunky in the neck. But at any rate, its was still a lot better than the one with Ferris Beuller. But maybe I'm just bias from the nostalgia of the original look.

http://i.imgur.com/rAMoaDQl.jpg

Kingu-Goji is one of my favorite suits next to Mosu-Goji and the original.

This new Goji did have a thick neck, I do agree there. His design (and fighting style) was inspired by bears, so that's probably where it comes in.

As someone not familiar with Godzilla or its history I thought the movie was super entertaining, even though I sure wish Walter White had the star role and not his lame ass son; what a terrible actor.

The scenes with the Mutos and Godzilla were so awesome. I like that the action didn't go over the top ala Peter Jackson style. I thought the director did a great job with the cinematography and creating a strong sense that the monsters were real--they had such gravitas--and I found myself empathizing with them a lot in the second half of the film---not so much with the lead actor who was about as compelling as a wet noodle. He really drags the whole film down. I want to watch it again in IMAX 3D.

Saw this just the other day and it was great. Yeah, there were things that needed fixing. For one, I never gave a shit about the protagonists personal life. At all. So they could've left that out, also I feel that Godzilla needed more screen time and they should've stopped cutting the fight scenes away like that until the end. That was irritating. Other than that, I loved seeing him literally nuke the female MUTO with his atomic breath. That was wicked.

RUSH said:

But now that you think you'll love it, you're going to hate it.

i didn't hate it, but I didn't think it was good. I thought it was great until I saw a monster, then it was just a downward slope in quality. It became unintentional comedy in my mind.. There was a lot of laughable stuff. Its just like an old Godzilla movie only it has CGI. On land, Godzilla still looks like a man in a suit even if its CGI.

It wasn't awful like Dragon Wars.

I would say more, but I don't want to spoil it for everyone although it looks like some people have uh spoiled it.