Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

When you first played Doom....

...what episode gave you the most trouble?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. ...what episode gave you the most trouble?

• E1-Knee Deep in the Dead
    • E2-The Shores of Hell
    • E3-Inferno

...when you first played Doom, what episode gave you the most amount of trouble? You know, back when the game had awesome graphics and sound, was scary as hell, and every level brought a new challenge and was harder than the last.
For me, it was the Shores of Hell.

E3 because it was hard and it took 2 hours finding the exit in Mt Erebus which ended being the secret exit. I even thought the game was broken because it lead back to E3M1 and that theyre was a cyberdemon at the end so I quit and changed game. Then I forgot about Doom for 3-4 years until 4 years ago when I bought Doom on SNES. Anyway, E3 gave me a hard time when I was kid.

Heh, E1, totally.

I had to cancel it at E1M3. I got stuck in that room where the lights go out after you get the blue key and couldn't find my way out of it after like 20 minutes :P

I just started on E2, finished it, E3 finished it, then back to E1 and finished that (by then I had learned the LightAmp cheat).

E3M5 was the second hardest map though, everytime I ended up in the center it took me about 30 minutes to get out.

Gate to Limbo (E3M7?) was pretty confusing and kinda hard too. Took me an hour to do. Too many teleports and lava.

E1, because it was the first I had played, and I had never experienced anything like it, ever. I was eight at the time, so it was pretty scary for a little kid. I made it to E1M7 on HMP (cause it was the default), then got surrounded by imps and quit when I got down to 2% health cause I was scared of what would happen when it reached 0% ^_^

Anyway, by the time I got registered Doom, I had already beaten Doom 2, so I was ready for episodes 2 and 3, and I knew what I was doing by that point.

E3 Because of levels like limbo and house of pain, god that was hard as hell on the snes... then supah easy on the computer

heh I remember when it took like 40 min to beat a level, ahh old days

E3 and why not... it is the last episode of Doom (excluding Ultimate Doom), that fucking Spidermastermind on the last level gave me some trouble because first time I exhausted all my cells and had no ammo for my BFG.

Inferno - it was the hardest of the three episodes, though I guess, E2M8 was the map I had most trouble beating (dang, that cybie kept blasting me to smithereens). The SMM was piss-easy though - all I did was run behind that small "house", wait for it to get close enough, run around the corner and blasted it once with the BFG, and repeat - took three BFG shots to kill it - I was pretty surprised that I had killed it in my first try and this easily (though I DID take quite a lot of hits). Later, I found out that you could easily kill it by just running straight at it blasting it repeatedly with the BFG - it can't dish out enough damage to kill me first.

E3 not because there were lots of enemies, but back in the day I was actually scared of all the hellish references. I haven't felt the same until the sacrifice in the Doom3 leaked footage.

dsm said:

The SMM was piss-easy though - all I did was run behind that small "house", wait for it to get close enough, run around the corner and blasted it once with the BFG, and repeat - took three BFG shots to kill it

You can actually take down the ugly fucker with ONE shot if you can get right in it's face before you're shredded :)

Anyway - a dead heat between Eps II and III - the reason being that E2M6 and E3M6 (Halls of the Damned and Mount Erebus, respectively) were hard bastards. The former, cuz it was scary as fuck and loaded with monsters, and the latter cuz it was complex and, again, loaded with scary bastard creatures from hell.

Just the way i like it.

Spike said:

You can actually take down the ugly fucker with ONE shot if you can get right in it's face before you're shredded :)

I know, I've tried that too, but only if you hit it just right, as you said, are lucky that the blast happens to be in its "damaging mood", and if you're reeeeally close to the SMM.
As for E2M6 and E3M6, I never had any trouble with E2M6 (it bothered me a little with that dark area in E2M6, but nothing too problematic), but that E3M6 did give me a lot of problems (not to mention frustrations when I tried to figure out how the Hell to get to the secret exit - I could see the bastard, but I couldn't reach it, grrrrrr), and then there was *argh* E3M7 - gawdawful level!

Play PSX DooM where the music is scarier and you get to hear screams and that in the background. I played it when it was released when I was about 10(I'm 15 now)and I beacmae pretty scared. didn't want to play it on my own. The marshes was a scary hidden level where you were pusued by 1 cyberdemon and it was really dark. The cyberdemon sounds scarier. The funniest thing was the secret level club DooM where you start in this dark corridor and you go updtairs finding dead boidies along the way go in and the music changes to some night club stuff and the level does too. Anyone played it?

How do you get to that secret exit?

That particular level was PSX-only, AFAIK.
Pretty cool, though, eh?