Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Boingo

Doom Robot!

And then the robot was a Doomguy.

All it needs now is an actual model of a doom marine or monster,For the creator this might be an important test, but for the viewer it is kind of... a square on wheels with a servo.

Coopersville said:

I suppose Doom is probably the best reason to develop pointless inventions.

FireFish said:

All it needs now is an actual model of a doom marine or monster,For the creator this might be an important test, but for the viewer it is kind of... a square on wheels with a servo.

There are people out there, who are interested in exactly this kind of amateurish robotics. In fact - me and my father are ones of them. Nowadays, mostly just my father. The basic components are easy and relatively cheap to buy on the internet, or even a real specialized shop. It offers an opportunity to create something that actually moves, which can be exciting as much as to make a Doom map that can be played.

Some schools / universities support this kind of amateurish interest in robotics, there are competitions for simple robots (such as Eurobot, taking place in Europe). They are mostly educational centered, and the robots do just some basic actions while moving around a playing field. Anyway the great thing is how everyone can compete, even professional university teams with rich sponsors, or just enthusiasts who build simple "robots" from various components and from scratch "on a knee", at their homes and as a hobby.

Sorry, I just wanted to share my interest into amateur robotics. It's interesting to see a connection of two disciplines that both interest me. But truth to be told, there's nothing much exciting on the robot on this video, just that in accepts signals from Doom and reacts quite poorly. There's a huge room for improvement in making the moves more reasonable, more intense, and more fun to look at and be excited by the thing.

There was a time many years ago where i searched a lot of info about transistor bots. To me these (usually insect like) robots seem to behave so realistic compared to an actual insect that they become intriguing.

No doubt people find this interesting (robotics) as there are millions of people all following their own version of a hobby. This counts for anything a human ever could do.

*Edit :
written while half asleep...

FireFish said:

There was a time many years ago where i searched a lot of info about transistor bots. To me these (usually insect like) robots seem to behave so realistic compared to an actual insect that they become intriguing.

No doubt people find this interesting (robotics) as there are millions of people all following their own version of a hobby. This counts for anything a human ever could do.

*Edit :
written while half asleep...

Robo doge

EDIT: written while half asleep