Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mattfrie1

PSX Doom/Final Doom TC (Legacy TC, See first post for details)

I have to admit, the wave of nostalgia was high when I heard the opening title music. Somehow menacing AND eerie at the same time...
The last time I played this was in 1997 on a proper PlayStation. Had both DOOM and Final DOOM. But allowing me to play all 60+ levels on one WAD?
I could kiss you all. Seriously, the people who helped get this going, from the programmers even to the plautesters, give yourselves a well deserved pat on the back.

Now if you excuse me... (hurries off to the cacowards thread).

I've been experimenting with some enhancement wads to be used with the psx doom tc. There is one thing I've noticed that consistently refuses to work correctly.

Why is it that blood will not stain the walls in the psx tc? Is there a way to make it so that blood decals will stick to the walls in psx doom?

The blood appears on the floors and sometimes ceilings (with ketchuptest4.pk3)But not the walls.

I'm using gzdoom latest stable release.

It's because decals are disabled in the TC.

Edit: the decals weren't disabled in the way I thought (with CVARs), but rather, they're redefined in DECALDEF to display an "empty" image.

After digging deeper into the thread, I see that the dummy decaldef file was put in to adjust a bug with the decals.

No one ever figured out what causeses the bug that makes decals not appear on any walls other than on switches? Could it have something to do with the lighting or textures?

Just a suggestion, add these values into the default PSXDoom.cfg file.
SECRETMESSAGE="A SECRET IS REVEALED"
WI_SHOWTOTALTIME="TRUE"
Then set the default colour of the secretmessage string to yellow.
It'll feel a lot more like PSX doom, no?
Just cos it resets itself every time...
BTW running 2.133 with only the music PK3

Brewtal_Legend said:

No one ever figured out what causeses the bug that makes decals not appear on any walls other than on switches? Could it have something to do with the lighting or textures?

The reason is simple: I've noticed that most, if not all, of the textures and flats are given an animation with ANIMDEFS, even textures and flats that only have one static graphic. And unless explicitly specified with the allowdecals keyword, decals are disallowed on animated textures by default.

ProGamerX56 said:

Just a suggestion, add these values into the default PSXDoom.cfg file.
SECRETMESSAGE="A SECRET IS REVEALED"
WI_SHOWTOTALTIME="TRUE"
Then set the default colour of the secretmessage string to yellow.
It'll feel a lot more like PSX doom, no?

No.

Blue Shadow said:

The reason is simple: I've noticed that most, if not all, of the textures and flats are given an animation with ANIMDEFS, even textures and flats that only have one static graphic. And unless explicitly specified with the allowdecals keyword, decals are disallowed on animated textures by default.

So, adding ALLOWDECALS to the ANIMDEFS file should make them work? Does it work as a blanket command or does it have to be added to each texture? (NM figured it out)

Does the same have to be done for the flats?

It has to be added to each texture; though I'd hazard the guess that non-animated textures were declared as animation to disable decals in the first place.

I just got done adding ALLOWDECALS to all the textures in the animdefs file, but it did not appear to work. Am I missing something? (NM again. I just didn't save it properly. I got the blood decals working now.)

Thanks for the help.

I've been attempting a 100% play-through of the TC and so far, everything has held together (not sure if the MAP52 fix I posted before was implemented into the main install).

Reached a minor problem with MAP81 (Lunar Mining Project):

In the large room on the other side of the courtyard (opposite the start point), there is a hatch room which opens when walking into one of the two smaller cylinder rooms in the center. This hatch room has shotgun guys and commandos. In the back of this hatch is a brown brick wall and if you notice on the map (cheat: iddt) that there are two other monsters behind the wall.

The wall never seems to open even with a full exploration of the level. And the sector tag for the wall itself is 27, which is shared between three other wall sectors.

I'm not sure what the exact problem is with these two stuck monsters, whether the wall was supposed to open or they were supposed to teleport out of the room. Could this be patched for future downloads?

UPDATE: Just finished Final Doom, and besides the problem mentioned above, 100% is possible for every level. Hopefully this keeps with the Lost Levels.

This could interest you. Combined with the info here, you can use the new UDMF thing properties Health, Renderstyle, and Alpha to reproduce any of the PSX monsters accurately. Spectres and nightmare spectres no longer need to be separate thing types from demons, too.

Solved the problem with MAP81:

Apparently, the area I described can only be accessed by Players 2 through 4 when they leave their starting area (Walk-Over trigger). This area can't be reached by Player 1 without cheats. Thus, these two enemies (Commando and Zombieman) can only be seen in multiplayer.

Simply removing the singleplayer checkmark from their actor settings removes them from the level count.

Fix Upload:
Here

With my full playthrough and patches (MAP52/MAP81) I have verified that all 90 levels of the TC can be finished with 100% completion.

Just started playing this a few days ago. Here's some things I've noticed:

Messages appear at the top of the screen. And there appears to be no option to move them to the bottom in GZDoom. In PSX Doom, the messages appear at the bottom, and only one at a time. This is actually beneficial and something I rather liked from PSX Doom. Someone should suggest to the Zdoom team to add this feature.

In GZDoom, auto-save at the beginning of every level is the default. However, in PSX Doom there is no auto-saving and no auto-loading upon death. You can "save" via passwords, which I do believe keeps your health/items although I never tried it.

I can't quite get the light right. I don't know if this is something that is a matter of changing settings, or if it's something that needs to be improved in this wad. The Emulator used in Mednafen, through RetroArch frontend. It aims for high accuracy, although it is relatively new so it's possible it is not rendering the game properly. GZDoom 1.8.02 run through the .bat.

PSX:
http://i.imgur.com/DqSDLMk.png

PSX TC:
http://i.imgur.com/jTMT64i.png

PSX:
http://i.imgur.com/uMMiub4.png

PSX TC:
http://i.imgur.com/sdTgNDw.png

That's roughly in the same spot. The walls don't seem as bright.

The .bat file also does not appear to work with the latest dev build that I tried of GZDoom. I've gone back to 1.8.02.

Different renderer = different results.

It's not the WAD at fault, or anything really. Fact is that you'll never get the TC to look exactly like the original game without pissing around coding a whole new renderer option.

Incidentally, this is how it looks on my usual emulator:

Something about the floor/ceiling fade in your screenshots seem 'off'.

Just going back to the decals thing, why was any effort put into it? When do blood and bullet holes appear on the walls on the PSX?

Sevmura said:

The .bat file also does not appear to work with the latest dev build that I tried of GZDoom. I've gone back to 1.8.02.

The config file completely changed, so none of the variables match up anymore. I think I went back to 1.8.4, which still works fine (1.8.6 being the newest.)

MajorRawne said:

Just going back to the decals thing, why was any effort put into it? When do blood and bullet holes appear on the walls on the PSX?

I guess some people just really can't play without their precious decals.

Just a quick question. Does anyone know if Sp00kyFox's PSXTCMUS conversion tool can be used with any old tracks? I'd like to give it a try with the Doom 64 soundtrack when I get home. Thanks. :)

BaronOfStuff said:

Different renderer = different results.

It's not the WAD at fault, or anything really. Fact is that you'll never get the TC to look exactly like the original game without pissing around coding a whole new renderer option.

Probably. Although I wonder if the PSX Doom is cheating a bit. It looks like the walls either emit a small amount of blue light or are colored a certain way so that they stay brighter in the darkness. So it might not be an issue of just the lighting.

Possibly erring on the side of fairness, rather than cheating. I think it's more a deliberate decision to give players a better idea of how much space they have ahead of them, in turn allowing a greater range of sector brightnesses to be used. One of vanilla's problems was that any sector with a brightness below 80 was about as visible as a brightness of 0 during regular play.

Also bear in mind that PSX Doom is generally (and literally) a lot darker than the PC original; if the walls were affected as much as ceilings and floors by sector brightness then it'd be less "First Person Shooter", more "Wearing Sunglasses Indoors Simulator 1995". It may look odd if you're used to the original software renderer but it's better than a black screen for 90% of the game!

BaronOfStuff said:

Possibly erring on the side of fairness, rather than cheating. I think it's more a deliberate decision to give players a better idea of how much space they have ahead of them, in turn allowing a greater range of sector brightnesses to be used. One of vanilla's problems was that any sector with a brightness below 80 was about as visible as a brightness of 0 during regular play.

Also bear in mind that PSX Doom is generally (and literally) a lot darker than the PC original; if the walls were affected as much as ceilings and floors by sector brightness then it'd be less "First Person Shooter", more "Wearing Sunglasses Indoors Simulator 1995". It may look odd if you're used to the original software renderer but it's better than a black screen for 90% of the game!

Could such an effect be replicated in Doom TC?

BlueFireZ88 - the 100% completion play test, that's some going man, and its very much appreciated, also your map52 was included in v2.132, map81 fix will be in the next.

Average - Sp00ky's music tool works with any track. Look in the .bat file and arrange your tracks to match the order in the .bat file. So you want the music to be used as the title theme to appear at the top of the directory then the intermission, credits ..etc.

The 2.134Beta on my post on the previous page works with Gzdoom 1.8.6.
However there a some differences that prevent it working with older versions.

assuming the Spectre in exit room of The Focus with 100% additive blending and the transparent Cacodemon in the Tenements are mistakes do we want to replicate them?

PSXDOOMTC2.134 & CUSTOMIZER0.9.4
Version 2.134 for GZDoom1.8.6 onwards.

Works with latest version of GZdoom
Added BlueFireZ88 map fixes

Gez said:

..you can use the new UDMF thing properties Health, Renderstyle, and Alpha to reproduce any of the PSX monsters accurately. Spectres and nightmare spectres no longer need to be separate thing types from demons, too.

all spectres and nightmare spectres are now demons (type 3002) with appropriate .render style, health and alpha values. (Done automatically with a tool I knocked up, not manually).
also added the Spectre in exit room of The Focus with 100% additive blending and the transparent Cacodemon in the Tenements.
They now match this table.

Quasar said: from forum

Bitmask | Meaning to PSX GPU        | Observed in Game As...
-----------------------------------------------------------------
00      | 50% transparency (B/2+F/2)| Cacodemon on Tenements
01      | 100% additive    (B+F)    | Spectre in MAP34 exit room
10      | 100% subtractive (B-F)    | All Nightmare Spectres
11      | 25%  additive    (B+F/4)  | Usual Spectres

new Customizer v0.9.4 for use with PSXDoomTC 2.134 onwards. will not work with older versions.
added an option to allow blood spatter and other decals.
and an option to mix lost levels with original episodes.
It also automatically display the mods you currently have active when it starts, hit Default Settings if you want to turn them all off.

Good stuff. It's always nice to see a new update to this.

I have a request though I'm not sure if it's within your remit. Would it be possible to make a version of the SBrightmaps.pk3 that's compatible with PSX Doom? Perhaps it could be added to the customiser? It would be really cool to be able to play PSX Doom where the monsters have creepy glowing eyes... Just a thought. :)

We'll never be able to reproduce PSX Doom to the exact micron, but I am very happy with the GZDoom settings BaronofStuff (I think) gave me which makes the graphics more pixellated and caps the frame rate. Pity I don't know what these settings are so other people can try it. Playing the PSXDoom TC without these settings feels far less like Playstation Doom, and more a modern PC pretending to be Doom. Yes, I know how that sounds ;)

All in all, this is the greatest project ever attempted on Doomworld and has been such a success so far. Good to see that people are still working on it, still finding out cool new things and even going to the efforts of replicating the Cacospectre, which has opened up a whole new vista for anyone wanting to create a PSX Doom spin-off.

EDIT:

That said, here are the problems. I don't know how to use the new Config thing - I open it, make my selections, but don't see the Williams logo when I start the TC. I've got no idea how to load the TC without dragging and dropping everything onto my GZDoom shortcut.

I also get lots of errors when it loads up, "Tried to register class PSXnonsolidtwitch more than once" (among many others), "Editor number 3000 refers to hidden class type PSXNightmareSpectre".

I am using the recommended version of GZDoom and the latest version of the TC. Perhaps some (SIMPLE) "How to use" text files would be in order.

Its just the same as before. use a new directory, don't mix it up with an old version encase something is conflicting. you can always put your save games in the new directory.
unzip the gzdoom-bin-1-8-06.zip, PSXDoom2.134.zip and PSXDoomTC_Customizer_V0.9.4.zip into the same folder, then place the psxtcmus.pk3 in there. Then double click the PSXDOOM.BAT to start.
it should look like this.

After you have double clicked the PSXDOOM.BAT it generates the PSXDOOM.CFG and INI files the first time it runs.
Someone else had a problem with the intro sequences not starting, it turned out to be the titlemap.wad in the PSXLOST.PK3, ether open up the psxlost.pk3 and delete the titlemap.wad from the maps folder within, or download the latest version of the lost levels