Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fahim@_@

Do you find the 'E1M8: Phobos Anomaly' music creepy/depressing?

I find a sign of evil, is a heavy tune, there is a feeling after you killed the 2 Barons, that you are the only living creature left on Phobos, and that you are descending to hell when you climb up the stairs.

I'd rather assume the same goes for E4M1, where you're about to make your path back for Earth, with three possessed dimensions/places left behind. "Go, Doomguy, it's one of your ultimate showdowns before setting back to Earth!"

It's an atmospheric and unsettling music, therefore a bit creepy. Not really depressing, at least not in that way like if I fall into worse mood when hearing it.

I'd say it fits more into the X-files theme-style of just making you feel uneasy and creeping you out than actually making you feel depressed. Mind you, it was years before I played Doom with a proper sound card, so by the time I had first heard the music, I had beaten those damn Barons more times than I can count (side note - I gotta admit, sometimes I get a bit nostalgic for those classic PC speaker sound effects - I'm almost embarrassed to admit having an affinity for those bleeps and bloops), and it still sent a shiver down my spine the first time I played that level with the music playing.

And now I'm suddenly reminded of all those years the X-files theme would keep me up at night if I heard it at the wrong time.

I really like the 3DO version of this track (and the 3DO soundtrack in general).

The normal version is good but I find that synth tom a bit cheesy for such an otherwise atmospheric song.

plums said:

I really like the 3DO version of this track (and the 3DO soundtrack in general).

The normal version is good but I find that synth tom a bit cheesy for such an otherwise atmospheric song.

It's probably just nostalgia, but I prefer the original cheesy version over this refined melodramatic one. :)

scifista42 said:

but I prefer the original cheesy version over this refined melodramatic one. :)

Me too, but I prefer the GBAdoom soundtrack over the PC though.

I don't find the tune depressing at all. That always puzzles me when people find certain creepy/scary tunes to be depressing. Perception for ya.

Yeah, for some reason it has just the right notes to feel real sorrowful. If you feel like grieving, this music sings your feelings. I think there's even a scientific study cited by Cracked in one of their "# ways your brain can control you" articles, about guilt-tripping musical notes.

A similarly sad music is Doom 2's level 3 music, it just sounds like everyone's dead and you're the only soul still alive, with nothing much left for you.

Even further, Wolf3D's E2M4/E2M7/E5M4/E5M7 music sounds real damning.

I actually found it pretty sad and gloomy. Though it definitely has a feeling of dread and suspense to it which fits the battle with the Bruiser Brothers quite well.

I really love the taiko drum and church bell in the intro of the 3DO version, it really makes the song more "tragic" sounding. Though I prefer the Sonic Clang version as a whole, as the synth lead they chose in the 3DO version is just weird and out of place.

It's one of my favourite tracks, neither creepy or depressing and I'd say it helps set the atmosphere for an end of episode map.

For me, the perfect version of E1M8 would combine the drum, bells, and pace of the 3DO version and combine it with the electric guitar of the Sonic Clang version. The undertones help create mood, but you gotta have that electric guitar to get your blood pumping.

Two of the levels with this music are some of the most horrifying levels in Doom.

This is probably the most moody and awe-inspiring track of all official Doom releases, at least as far as I'm concerned. E1M8 and E1M1 are both tunes that all long-term gamers have fond memories of.

On the flipside, D_RUNNIN is basically an in-joke for mappers. I wonder if we'd feel that way if the song were cooler? I feel like it doesn't really "get good" until the awesome, very long solo. The intro bit is honestly kinda boring in that song.

I've always thought of the E1M8 music as a nice atmospheric track. I wouldn't exactly say it's creepy or depressing in any way, but man, you can really make it sound badass if you have the right tools (a la Sonic Clang's E1M8 remix).

It's like a distorted and/or reversed "Happy Birthday to You".

I feel as though knowing that fact makes it creepier for you, doesn't it?

geekmarine said:

For me, the perfect version of E1M8 would combine the drum, bells, and pace of the 3DO version and combine it with the electric guitar of the Sonic Clang version. The undertones help create mood, but you gotta have that electric guitar to get your blood pumping.

This, this, and did I forget to mention this?

Dang, the 3DO version does indeed sound fantastic. Though I prefer the midi original which I first heard on a Mozart card and instantly fell in love with.
So much atmosphere... it's like an eternal sigh whistling into your ears and clouding your mind.
Together with the map it has such an epic flair... the feeling of being in an endless desert of absurd wonders.
It seems more tragic too me than sad, though realizing in the back of your mind that this is the last map of awesome episode 1 could cause some grief.

I find this version of E1M8 to be a bit depressing/disturbing:

I find the original track to be fairly gloomy and a little unsettling. But the only version I've heard that actually creeps me out is the 32X version. You might fault it for the off-key guitar or the drums, but the fact that it sounds so wrong is a boon in some ways, IMO.

Doominator2 said:

The 32x version sounds like a demon is taking a dump!

The entire Doom 32X soundtrack sounds like farts

yeah, a bit depressing, it's like the song heralds your imminent Doom

Hellish Godzilla said:

I find the original track to be fairly gloomy and a little unsettling. But the only version I've heard that actually creeps me out is the 32X version. You might fault it for the off-key guitar or the drums, but the fact that it sounds so wrong is a boon in some ways, IMO.

This really sounds like Indian music gone wrong to me. It's almost a whole different song.