Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Venk

doombuilder 2 or gzdoombuilder?

Which is easier and has more abilities? I am currently using db2

Far as I know, GZDB is just a branch of DB2 specifically designed for GZDoom mapping. If you want an editor that also shows dynamic lights and whatnot, go for GZDB. Otherwise you're good with DB2.

I guess maybe plain old DB2 is "easier" because it has less features, but I greatly prefer GZDB now, even though basically all my mapping lately has been Boom or vanilla. personally I would recommend switching to GZDB even if you're not doing GZDoom stuff

I'm just making a megawad for use with brutal doom. Does one have more abilities for walls and sectors etc? Like more switches and doors and so forth?

you mean more textures, ie things to paste on the walls and ceilings/floors?

Yes, as well as things that you can program to switch and door and cieling and floor, like how switches do things, and how cielings and floors act when walked on

ah. ok. well. that opens up a lot of potential explanation. regarding textures and flats (ceiling/floor textures), you can try the texture stock on realm667.com as that should have a good bunch of stuff. a lot of other good texture packs would be those included with any of the recent 32in24 series, or the Greenwar 2 textures, or something like that. are you familiar with how wad files work, structurally?

also before answering the question about switches/effects and all that, are you familiar with different mapping formats? ie Boom vs ZDoom in Doom Format vs ZDoom in UDMF, etc.

No clue man. I just know how to build a decent map, i really need to learn more

haha ok, righto. if you check out the doom wiki (doomwiki.org) you might find some explanations of the things you need, otherwise I would be happy to provide the basics of this stuff later when I have more time!

Having recently started a new project meant for GZDoom, I totally forgot GZDoomBuilder was actually a thing. I'm not sure what I'd use it for though, unless it's easier doing things like bridges and 3D floors in it, though.

Thats another thing i needed to know actually, is whether or not gz is easier for stuff like 3d floors, slants, etc. I cant figure out how to use that stuff

Tutorials for the mandem. When you say "slants" I assume you mean slopes? There should be a tutorial for designing them in that playlist. You may also want to consider using the ZDoom wiki as that contains a shit load of helpful material for ZDoom modding.

GZDoom is pretty great for advanced projects and can be used to display dynamic lighting amongst other effects. It does sound like (to me anyway), that you would benefit more from using GZDoom builder. As for ease of use, they pretty much function the same, in terms of building the map, but GZDoom builder has a few more features which eases mapping for GZDoom. Might as well link the Doom Wiki page on GZDoom which should help explain the features more.

GZDB has became my weapon of choice, after it got proper vanilla/boom settings. I virtually have no use for DB2 now, and I don't like for switching back and forth, just because I want to do some vanilla map for a change.

Also, if you want to ease of doing 3D stuff, boris made a really nifty tool for that. Still WIP as far as 3D slopes are concerned, but it does more than well for now.

I used to use DB2, but then I switched to GZDoomBuilder and never went back. Far better dynamic lighting options, More intuitive visual modes, better support for GZDoom mapping (my source port of choice), it totally runs circles around DB2. The only minor gripe is that it uses more of my processor, though that might not be a problem for you if your computer is better than mine (which is likely)

Its simple to swith to gz without losing my current progress right?

Venk said:

Its simple to swith to gz without losing my current progress right?

Right.
Both, DB2 and GZDB, keep their own config files, which are overwritten with each mapping session.
And if you feel the need to convert to a newer map format there is this to guide you along.

Venk said:

I'm just making a megawad for use with brutal doom. Does one have more abilities for walls and sectors etc? Like more switches and doors and so forth?

Both DB2 and GZDB are limited by the map format, basically you can do the same stuff with both editors. But several things are easier to do in GZDB, because it provies (a better) interface to those features.

That said, people should always remember that there probably wouldn't be a GZDB if CodeImp hadn't put so much great work into DB2.