Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MD922

What speedrun demo of yours are you most proud of?

Just a question for everyone, what's your most admired demo of your own? My best to me so far would be my Scythe Episode 1 Nomonsters speedrun that I posted lately.

I answered 3 years ago, and from today's perspective:
- those demos suck, except m232t725
- generally I didn't record anything spectacular since then
- I really don't know how to assess stuff like my over 40 minute Tysons, mm2 MAP29 for example. Except for j4rio, no-one records these nowadays, they are usually very slow, but I wouldn't be able to record them myself now (so I admire my patience then). So you may watch these at your own risk :)

Aside from the demos I already mentioned in that thread vdgg linked to (I still think they're pretty nice btw):

- 2002: A Doom Odyssey E1 UV-Speed of course, vdgg's and Kyle's responses made me put a lot of effort into it.

- Arch-Vile Jump MAP02 UV-Speed, termrork couldn't beat it even on NM, which is easier.

- Darkwave 32 UV-Max, yes it sucks but for me this map is very hard even when not rushing.

- Memento Mori 2 MAP22 UV-Max, very painful map in this category.

I'm rather happy with my map 29 trick on Doom 2 Done Turbo, though I don't really feel that the run itself is fully up to my current standards (especially maps 1-16).

Other than that, here's a few demos that I consider to be either well optimized or fairly lucky:

D2TWID Map 7 UV-Max in 1:03.

Plutonia 2 Map 15 Pacifist in 0:06.

TNT Map 17 Pacifist in 0:08.

Rebirth Map 06 UV-Max in 0:35.

Some of my better demos were also made for demo packs that have not been finished yet.

I only have very few demos out, and I'm not proud of any of them. But I do hold a record in Plutonia 2 map25 UV-speed. So I'll go for that one ;)

edit: the pacifist one is faster

pacifist demo

I've only a few demos out there,of but I wouldn't call any of them particularly special. I'm certainly fond of three:

mm07-524 is cool for me because it really shows the amount of effort I put into it. When I first ran that map, I hit something like a 6:45. I grinded the ell out of it and somehow found a way to negotiate the maze in a pretty darn efficient way and cut 35 seconds off of Xit's original time. Now, I'm not fool and I know this could be broken easily, but it has stood for a pretty long time and I still like to go back and watch it.

sc06-107 is probably my best demo in general. There's very little I don't like about it and I think it's probably the hardest of mine to beat there is... not that it couldn't be beat, but still.

sc11-140had its guts ripped and torn by stx-Vile, but darn it if I didn't get a real confidence boost in beating a slightly harder-than-the-norm map in a record time originally. Plus, something about being topped by stx-Vile that makes it feel somehow special.

As far as demos with monsters, I'd say my 1monster MAP05 tyson in 8:23 (found on DSDA).

Without monsters, I'd have to say av09o029 and av23o121 (both are on DSDA).

Don't expect to be too impressed by these, as I'm not a great speedrunner.

My No Rest for the Living UV Speed SS is probably my own favorite. And out of the individual levels for no rest, MAP03 in :55 would probably be my own favorite.

As for other WADs, I haven't put enough effort into anything to call them great.

Not too many. Plutonia ep 1 max took me probably the longest to do, in terms of hours spent.

Oh and for Doomdaniel, I've beaten your Scythe Episode 1 run. It is now a sub 3:00 run, and I even did the run before I found your's. Hehe, you had quite a good run except the mistakes :)

MD922 said:

Oh and for Doomdaniel, I've beaten your Scythe Episode 1 run. It is now a sub 3:00 run, and I even did the run before I found your's. Hehe, you had quite a good run except the mistakes :)

Did you check the nomonsters speedrunning thread again and/or DSDA? I now have a new one in 2:37. Thank you for your compliments, though. :)

I'm sure you could probably beat the one I made in 2:37 because it's still loaded with tons of mistakes.

TendaMonsta said:

None. Because I'm trash.

Lol, that's not true. Your ScytheX MAP04 max in 1:36 is excellent, as well as your PL2 maxes for MAP13 and MAP27. Those are just 3 I can name off the top of my head.

So far (22 demos) I haven't made any runs without some significant mistakes, however in terms of scale and epicness I'm a little proud of my Jenesis map 26 run. It's long and got some pretty hard set pieces, but would still be a piece of cake for the top guys of course. It's more about me getting through in one piece than getting a good time.

I've also adopted The Rebirth as my project to practise UV-Fast (actually I wanted to do UV-Maxes since the maps are nice and short and not too hard but as I couldn't beat Skepticist's times I decided to attempt to fill the UV-Fast niche instead). Of course I found most of them super hard but I'm a little proud that so far I made all of the first 11 (except for 8; 7 should be up soon and I'm working on 8). I think it's excellent exercise for improving your combat skills, especially reaction times and I definitely think that I'm better than 2 years ago. The hardest one so far was map 4 and then 9 but I bungled up 9 a bit.

The only demo I'm really proud of is the first ever (?) instant flatface glide demonstration (here it is). My modesty has completely faded out when I made it. lol
P.S: Geez, 2 years have passed since then.

Most definitely my best demo ever is my plutonia uv-max TAS speedrun in 57 minutes. There are some mistakes in the episode 1 part, but I don't really care about that. The demo took more effort to make than you can imagine (more than 6 months of intensive recording, with often 100+ trials for many segments).

If I ever manage to finish Hell Revealed MAP11 uv-max in under 15 minutes, then that will probably be my favorite non-TAS demo of mine.

doomdaniel95 said:

Lol, that's not true. Your ScytheX MAP04 max in 1:36 is excellent, as well as your PL2 maxes for MAP13 and MAP27. Those are just 3 I can name off the top of my head.

Just watched those. Surprised no one bothered to improve them. I guess I might have to do it now.