Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carny Goat

Doom IV Expectations

LANEGRACABRA said:

Yeah that's been floating around a few days now. As for the screen shots, while the locales look fantastic, they just don't look very Doom. Doom 3 didn't look very Doom either so much as it looked like a diesel submarine with no power.

"A diesel submarine with no power" is the best and most accurate description I've ever read of Doom 3's aesthetic approach. It looks great if that's what you're going for. But it doesn't convey the offworld weirdness the original did, nor does it feel like a facility on another planet, except in the outdoor segments.

GoatLord said:

"A diesel submarine with no power" is the best and most accurate description I've ever read of Doom 3's aesthetic approach. It looks great if that's what you're going for. But it doesn't convey the offworld weirdness the original did, nor does it feel like a facility on another planet, except in the outdoor segments.

Really? You flatter me Sir. I thought that I'd get flamed for that analogy and people would point out well that level has plasma, that level has Mars.

Give people a chance to see there is a new one.
You discovered it though, do you have something to add to the discussion or is it just more whining about what other people think and say?

Touchdown said:

I bet nobody cares about the latest, positive Glassdor review, huh? I mean, it's positive, so it's not trustworthy by default.

I remember checking out lasik with a friend. The lasik clinic was pretty horrible. So we looked up reviews after going there. It was 2 years of negative reviews, followed up with a current flood of positive reviews. Made me think someone in the office noticed all the horrible reviews and decided to post them.

After playing Wolfenstein the new order, I hope hey implement dual weapons in Doom 4. Dual shotguns in TNO >>>> 2 barreled shotgun.

Bethesda's blog has a big fat image of the Doom Beta with claims of an updated FAQ. It's disgustingly insulting that, while it has indeed been updated, there is still zero information on what the beta is, when it begins and whether or not it's open. Why they feel they have to do things this way is beyond me.

EDIT: This might just be me having late night grumpy times, but I wonder if id or Bethesda is at all aware of how frustrated the Doom fanbase is about this whole tomfoolery.

One step at the time. People started getting invites so they had to add more info about it. The game is not even properly announced yet, I'd expect that before any Beta info.

i hope they remove monsters infighting, i know it's unique to doom or anyway it was one of his characteristic, but players abuse this and it look rather dull and stupid

leave just the damage done by monsters to others monsters, when they are in their line

Monster infighting is a very idiosyncratic element of Doom, and in many cases it can be used to play a map semi-passively, to dynamically switch between heavy and light combat, or to rush through dangerous areas in order to conserve ammo. If anything, infighting should play a distinct role in Doom 4.

infighting monsters is one of those charming things, that make Doom the game we all love. I hope they have in it Doom IV.

Also, maybe I'd said this before, but I hope the enemies look like photo-realistic versions of their classic look.

Yes, a brown looking imp, standing upright (with a slight hunch), with red glowing eyes. I really believe that would look cooler than their appearance in Doom 3. I think it would look rather disturbing; that should be the goal.

Has anyone ever made a Doom 3 mod that sought to replace the enemies with a more traditional look?

On a side note... Jesus Christ, Doom III is about to be 10 years old already?! I remember how I planned on upgrading my PC to play it. feels like just yesterday.

Kontra Kommando said:

infighting monsters is one of those charming things, that make Doom the game we all love. I hope they have in it Doom IV.

It was heavily reduced in Doom 3. Maybe it will be completely removed in Doom 4.

Kontra Kommando said:

Has anyone ever made a Doom 3 mod that sought to replace the enemies with a more traditional look?

On Doom3Files, there's two texture packs. One recolors the monsters but keeps their overall design, the other recolors them and actually redesigns their appearance.

http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Classic_Colors_Skin_Pack;33484
http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Skin_Pack_Addon_for_Classic_DOOM;77389