Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kontra Kommando

Aliens: The Ultimate Doom (TC) [Major Changes inbound for Graphics, and Gamplay]

What are your plans for plot, and level sections? For example, are we going to have different sections for Space (Nostromo style), Colony (Hadley's Hope style), and Prison (Fury 161 style) levels? Or will everything take place in a single setting?

The poll suggests a single setting but I would recommend as much variety as is plausible. I am probably best used in the earlier slots because I'm not a good enough player to feel confident in making really hard maps. That sAid, unless you're happy to have a long development time, you're probably best keeping me off it until I'm close to finishing my own work.

What are the rules for making the maps? Such as features, custom textures, etc. I can't sprite or texture well at all except simple recolors and edits. My strength is mapping and can do some average coding.

I'm a big fan of the universe Watched the movies, played some of the games and got most of the comics. And played some wads too.

Colonial Marine Arsenal is awesome, i borrowed a pistol from there, is that okay?

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

What are your plans for plot, and level sections? For example, are we going to have different sections for Space (Nostromo style), Colony (Hadley's Hope style), and Prison (Fury 161 style) levels? Or will everything take place in a single setting?

purist said:

The poll suggests a single setting but I would recommend as much variety as is plausible. I am probably best used in the earlier slots because I'm not a good enough player to feel confident in making really hard maps. That sAid, unless you're happy to have a long development time, you're probably best keeping me off it until I'm close to finishing my own work.

kalinus said:

What are the rules for making the maps? Such as features, custom textures, etc. I can't sprite or texture well at all except simple recolors and edits. My strength is mapping and can do some average coding.

I'm a big fan of the universe Watched the movies, played some of the games and got most of the comics. And played some wads too.

I was also considering the results of the polls dictate the the length of each portion of the game. But I think earth would kind of be lame imo; especially for a finale. I just threw it in there to be fair to people's interests. Right now its currently undecided, but I would be open to to have it take place in multiple locations. One thing is certain, there will be levels on board a ship. Therefore, feel free to create portions of the ship. Suggest an idea, and I will place it on the list. We are using the resources I have posted on my moddb page, which I plan to update as soon as I can. We are making it in with Doom II in UDMF format. I plan on making my own base texture replacements as well. In regards to development time, you don't have to rush. There are still plenty spots to be filled still. Moreover, I still need to create a praetorian, and a spitter spritesheet. I'm even thinking about creating a Queen Mother.

looking great man I don't know if I will have any maps done when you'll need them but I will continue working on them and if they're too late maybe you can use them for an expansion or something.

The swimmer would be amazing of course its not my decision but there is very little water combat in doom mods and I got an idea for a map that takes place in the water purification of the ship or maybe a planet.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Just tell me when you finish with this new sprite style, so I can start making the gibs for them.

Sure thing, once I'm finished, I will pm you with the mediafire link.

kalinus said:

looking great man I don't know if I will have any maps done when you'll need them but I will continue working on them and if they're too late maybe you can use them for an expansion or something.

The swimmer would be amazing of course its not my decision but there is very little water combat in doom mods and I got an idea for a map that takes place in the water purification of the ship or maybe a planet.

You can take your time, its really uncertain when this will be finished really.I will be adding more of my own content over time, as well as the work of others.

Took me a while to find my way here, but now i'm at the business in this forum as well, Kontra Kommando. And i'm glad to see that the project - and why not, the CM Arsenal i made - are getting good feedback. I'll be following the thread here as well.

I was looking at the Seargent's AvPvT work and it's amazing. I really liked the motion tracker and the target-lock Smartgun. There's some other neat stuff there too, and i would expect no less from his creations.

Regarding the plot and map setting, i think i can come out with something. It's not too hard to create a fitting story, as we have the movies, the comics and previous Aliens-themed games so we can get some inspiration. And i agree with purist, we could work on multiple setting maps, after all 32 levels following the same style would be repetitive after some time. We could separate them in episodes, just like the original Doom (maybe use the old "You are here!" intermission screen again).

Revised Head sprites coming in the next beta.

This looks a lot closer to the actual drone, with the skull under the translucent dome (someone here made note of that a few months ago, well here it is now.). Moreover, I fixed the perspective of the head. Right now I'm also working on a Runner, that Sergeant_Mark_IV started. I'm giving it my own modifications and I'm finishing the sprite sheet.

I plan on utilizing this program: http://www.donrobbart.com/sprite-bomb.html

I will give my sprites yet another massive improvement; it will dwarf the last tweaking I've made.

I took the idea from this project:

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom/addons/doom-hdv03

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30879

This is what the sprite looks like with 300% scaling. The full version allows up to 2000% scaling, which I'm very interested in experimenting with. Though, some of the sprites will require some fixing after the scaling. I will improve all of the sprite I've created, across the board.

Also, the program seems to crash here on my work pc. I hope my home pc will hack it; it really should.

These sprites have certainly changed radically from when I first created them.

_bruce_ said:

The sprite bomb program makes it look worse.

Over at the zdoom forum, someone explained to me that the scaling would probably affect performance for a lot of players. Therefore, I will offer two separate versions of the WAD. One with the sprite bombed Sprites, and one with the original sprites. Therefore, not only could people choose based on performance quality, but also personal taste for the aesthetics. I still have all of the original sprites from their first incarnation as well.

EDIT: Scaling project cancelled, since the HQN4X filter does the same thing as the sprite bomb program. Big thanks to Sgt. Mark for pointing that out to me.

Good to hear! Also about the 80mb filesize if your concerned maybe release 2 versions 80+ mb doesn't bother me. I am curious are there any restrictions besides a general theme for maps? I prefer to do 3d floors among other fancy features :P

Edit: Sorry I meant other than the format.

Cool. Does it need to be 32 levels, though? Not sure Alien is diverse enough thematically to span such length, unless it uses small maps, or Predator gets thrown into the mix, or else it diverges into non-Doom gameplay, or something...

The Z-doom forum says it will either take place on a space station/ship or planet/moon colony. You could easily create two episodes if it went from planet/moon colony to space station/ship. Don't forget to include mysterious abandon alien space craft.

1-9: planet colony
10: planet colony queen boss fight
11-15: outside on the planet itself (something similar to a rad suit could be utilized as the environment would be harsh)
16-19: abandon alien space craft
20: space craft queen boss fight
21-29: (player returns to) space station
30: space station queen boss fight
31-32: secret levels (maybe on Predator's planet or something Prometheus?)

kalinus said:

Good to hear! Also about the 80mb filesize if your concerned maybe release 2 versions 80+ mb doesn't bother me. I am curious are there any restrictions besides a general theme for maps? I prefer to do 3d floors among other fancy features :P

Edit: Sorry I meant other than the format.

It is being made in UDMF

3D floors are perfectly fine to use. Moroever, we are allowing people to use custom textures, particularly from Alien Trilogy. However, any hive textures will be the ones that I have created.

We are actually going to compress the music files in the next beta, to make the file smaller.

Tuxlar said:

Cool. Does it need to be 32 levels, though? Not sure Alien is diverse enough thematically to span such length, unless it uses small maps, or Predator gets thrown into the mix, or else it diverges into non-Doom gameplay, or something...

Yea, we figure 32 levels will give us plenty of time to come up with even more stuff along the way. The predator will actually be the boss of E2M8 in Aliens: The Ultimate Doom (TC) in the next beta.

Egregor said:

The Z-doom forum says it will either take place on a space station/ship or planet/moon colony. You could easily create two episodes if it went from planet/moon colony to space station/ship. Don't forget to include mysterious abandon alien space craft.

1-9: planet colony
10: planet colony queen boss fight
11-15: outside on the planet itself (something similar to a rad suit could be utilized as the environment would be harsh)
16-19: abandon alien space craft
20: space craft queen boss fight
21-29: (player returns to) space station
30: space station queen boss fight
31-32: secret levels (maybe on Predator's planet or something Prometheus?)

We will actually make a derelict space craft, and will eventually include Engineers once I get around to making them. But I think the game will predominately take place on a human space ship.

Here is a preview video the next beta thus far. There is still work to be done here, thus this will be subject to change. In the meantime I hope you enjoy this demonstration video.

http://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/addons/xenomorph-hive

This is an early map I have created, before Aliens: The Ultimate Doom. This was supposed to be the final level after Starship Konrad. I have left it untouched; error and all. The game play is noticeably different from the current aliens games. I plan on redoing this level, with all of my new content. You may notice this WAD is very similar to my Friday the 13th mod. I last worked on this on April 20th.

May take some time for approval on moddb

Here's an update on what I've been working on.

-I've included 2 different types of friendly marines

-The ape suit now makes the player immune to acid damage for health, but decreases the armor

-The colonial marine armor reduces acid damage by half

-I've created better looking acid blood sprites for when it splashes on the ground.

-I've been included gibbing for all the aliens as well, except the queen.

-Smoke columns have been reduced in size

-I made some tweeks to the flying aliens, and combat synthetics

-New HUD

Tonight is the night that I plan on uploading BETA 5.5

I will release it as an add-on to the Brutal Doom mod page on moddb.com

Here is one last sprite sheet I want to complete and implement into the game before I release it to the world. The Colonial Marine