Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steve D

Too Much Death - The Amiga Demo Party of Doom, Map01 Beta

gggmork said:

Thanks for reminding me I suck at fda, beat it eventually (most recent linked version):
http://speedy.sh/hvM6P/adp1aaa-fda-ggg.lmp

Fun arena map w/ simple route that isn't too complex to remember. If you fall off beginning platform you can't go back up to get the items, but that's just for retards that don't get them beforehand. Maybe forcing all battle inside from water area would be better, like maybe make it -5 damage acid, doesn't matter much, and maybe that wouldn't be a good idea anyway. But the water area has so much roaming room, circling around that huge area is less action packed than being inside the arena.

If you made all revs arachnotrons, best strategy might be to get cybers to infight them, not sure, haven't analyzed a route at all really.
The music is midi right? (pretty sure prboom+ can't play mp3 so I guess so)

Thanks for the FDA gggmork! I asked Dobu about slaughtermap keyboarders and he mentioned your name, so right away I ran to the Swim With The Whales thread because I remembered you posting FDAs there, including an attempt to Tyson Map03, which has to be crazy, right? Alas, all the links were dead, but I soon found your and Phml's FDAs of your Lazy Copy Paste map, which has a cool layout but is way too intense for me to try unless you have difficulty settings that include HNTR with about a third of the monsters I saw. I could give something like that a go. Otherwise, I'll stay chickenshit on that one. ;D

You're the first person who mentioned the possibility of falling off the central platform and being unable to get back up to grab the ammo, as in fact happened to you. Originally, it was 24 units high, but I raised it to 32 to avoid cutting off the texture. Of course, I could always change the texture, but with the platform raised, it made things a little tougher on the player, especially when the PE teleport columns were added. Before, it was almost impossible for the Pinkies to hem in the player, but after, it was a real danger, and it's happened to me several times. On the flipside, the columns provide cover.

A big nukage lake is an interesting idea to force the player inside. I'll try an experimental version to see what it's like. More frantic, I'm sure. ;)

The music is not a midi, it's a 4-channel ProTracker module in glorious 8-bit sound, as most Amiga MODs are unless they're made with Digibooster Pro or something on one of those rare machines with a 16-bit sound card. It's amazing how good the 8-bit music sounds. There's more coming!

SteveD said:

Anyway, before addressing the specifics of your post, over time I've tried several of the music players in G/ZDoom. The surprising thing is that both G/ZDoom and Risen3D use FMOD, but the performance in Risen3D has always been better, especially with looping.

ZDoom, by default, plays module songs through foo_DUMB (that is to say, the foobar2000 version of DUMB, not with FMOD's built-in player. That may be the difference between ZDoom and Risen3D in that respect.

SteveD said:

The same was happening with this map until I changed the MOD's extension from the front, as it is in Amiga -- mod.xxxxx -- to the Windows standard of xxxxx.mod. After that, it looped fine, but this was not necessary in Risen3D, Boom or Eternity.

I'm not sure I understand, because it ends up being named D_RUNNIN in the wad anyway...

Xaser said:

For funsies (and because hellsyeah modules), here's a mirror of the original .mod on Modarchive, for folks' listening pleasure:
http://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=60933

And wouldn't you know, the only comment was by someone who didn't really like it. ;D

Mod Archive is definitely not the best place to go for Amiga music, I'd recommend Amiga Music Preservation -- http://amp.dascene.net/ -- or Aminet -- http://aminet.net/ -- but know that you have to slog through literal sewerloads of shit to find anything good or remotely appropriate for a Doom map. But there are some more reliable composers -- kalsu, Clawz, Motion and Dice are among those I lean on.

Gez said:

ZDoom, by default, plays module songs through foo_DUMB (that is to say, the foobar2000 version of DUMB, not with FMOD's built-in player. That may be the difference between ZDoom and Risen3D in that respect.

I'm not sure I understand, because it ends up being named D_RUNNIN in the wad anyway...

I don't understand, either. I ran an experiment with another problem track in a different map that played well, but wouldn't loop properly. I changed its name first, from mod.xxxxx to xxxxx.mod and then to D_BETWEE, and it still didn't loop properly, just repeating the end part over and over. I then changed the Module Replayer from foo_DUMB -- like you said, that's what it was -- to FMOD. Same problem. I went back to foo_DUMB and changed the sample rate, figuring that would have no impact, and it didn't, and then changed the interpolation to "None" and "Cubic," changed ramping to "None," all to no avail, it still won't loop.

I'm at a loss. I have no idea why FMOD loops MODs perfectly in Risen3D and perhaps in GLBoom -- I haven't checked to see what my module replayer is in GLBoom, but probably the default -- and not in G/ZDoom. This is the only problem port so far, I haven't tried Doomsday or Zandronum, and given the number of players who use ZDoom, it's a major issue, especially since I have three mapsets that will all feature tracker music. I will have to figure something out since telling ZDoomers "Use another port, or just deal with it," seems like a bad solution. ;D

So, I just did a thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQY-6MnKJRs&feature=youtu.be

This was recorded on a newer version of the map than the newest in this thread (I think, judging from the filenames), but if SteveD posts the wad version here, I'll post the demo file.

There's definitely room to shave off some seconds, but that'll require a better (and likely more patient) player than me.

that was awesome, had a good time. I really do wish more wads used modules... there are so many good ones out there and so many I want to make maps for

Ah, the thread comes back to life! Thanks, Cynical and Tango.

As Cynical suggested, here is the link to the latest version of the file, so you can see his excellent UV-Fast run as soon as he posts it; http://www.mediafire.com/download/5l84679376s3emi/ADP1aac.wad

Some other issue clean-up, addressed to Gez. The problem of looping in the MOD file turned out not to be G/ZDoom's fault. In fact, as plums explained to me -- he fixed the looping issue -- G/ZDoom was the only port looping correctly, in this case because the file had an earlier loop-point than the end. G/ZDoom saw this, and thus repeated the final section over and over. By comparison, Risen3D and PRBoom had a more "ideal" setting, where they ignored the looping flags and looped from the song's end to the beginning. The reason I suggested for the odd looping behavior in this song and a couple others we encountered, is that possibly it was meant for the "Greetings" section at the end of a demo. In case it ran a long time, you'd want to repeat the calmer ending and not go back to the hectic opening, but that's just a guess.

So a note here to Tango, make maps with MODs, but make sure you run them on G/ZDoom in testing, because you might have problems. I also ran into a problem recently on PRBoom, which instead of looping improperly, failed to loop at all. These issues can be fixed, however, and expert musicians like plums and Tourniquet have both helped me out.

Nice initials you got on this thing.

TheMionicDonut said:

Nice initials you got on this thing.

About time you noticed! ;D

Hi everybody! Can someone please re-upload this wad? All links seems to be down.. thx in advance