Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rizera

The amazing "identify that Doom song" thread.

Glad you ID'd that Gez, I recognized the tune but it's been ages since I heard the original, and it was going to bother me. And who covers a song from The Division Bell and leaves out the bell? honestly!

I apologize if this has been asked before, but does anyone know where the music comes from that plays on the Community Chest map 29 "Citadel at the Edge of Eternity"?

It sounds like something from Super Metroid. It's so unbelievably familiar that I know I've heard it before but I just can't place it...Heretic? Metroid? Some 90's game...

I loaded up Community Chest to check it out, and it doesn't appear that map29 even has a new music track, just the stock Doom 2 one.

Am I missing something?

Fournaridis said:

I apologize if this has been asked before, but does anyone know where the music comes from that plays on the Community Chest map 29 "Citadel at the Edge of Eternity"?

It's "Shawn's got the Shotgun" by Bobby Prince, based on Slayer's "South of Heaven". You might have heard it before while playing Doom II maps 7, 19, and 29.

hth

Alternatively, it's not that because you're autoloading some wad that you forgot about and that replaces D_SHAWN3. Another alternative is that you're playing cchest.wad with another IWAD than doom2.wad. It's "Death's Bells" if you're using tnt.wad, "At Doom's Gate" if you're using plutonia.wad, and who knows what if you're using freedoom2.wad.

Gez said:

It's "Shawn's got the Shotgun" by Bobby Prince, based on Slayer's "South of Heaven". You might have heard it before while playing Doom II maps 7, 19, and 29.

hth

Alternatively, it's not that because you're autoloading some wad that you forgot about and that replaces D_SHAWN3. Another alternative is that you're playing cchest.wad with another IWAD than doom2.wad. It's "Death's Bells" if you're using tnt.wad, "At Doom's Gate" if you're using plutonia.wad, and who knows what if you're using freedoom2.wad.

I would like to thank both you and Bashe for you responses - I would also like to apologize. I was watching a playthrough video of CChest Map 29 with the music in question.

I opened it up on my computer and realized that it was the stock Map 29 music from Doom II that I am already familiar with. So, for some reason I assumed that I didn't get the music file when I downloaded the wad.

It turns out, the video in question was uploaded by Lingyan and he chose his own music for the occasion. Turns out, it was Heretic music! I apologize for any confusion and time wasting on my behalf.

Getsu Fune said:

anyone know any other midis from Congestion 1024? I just found out MAP27's music.

According to the wiki, most of it "consists of original compositions by Ray Schmitz (shitbag)".

MAP01 uses "Backroad Wanderer" (originating from MM2 MAP10, also used as the theme song of the Massmouth wads)
MAP02 uses the TNT Evilution intermission song (also oddly it's duplicated)
MAP04, according to metadata, is "Quake II - Track 6" sequenced to MIDI by Silent Zora (Jay Reichard)
MAP13 uses "Between Levels" from Doom II
MAP19 uses a song converted from MUS, so it's probably reused from another Doom mod, I don't know which
MAP28 uses the song often called "Death Bells" from TNT Evilution
MAP30 uses "The End of Doom" (Doom 1 text screen music)
MAP32 uses the Heretic E1M1 song

The songs for MAP11, MAP16, MAP17, MAP22, MAP23, MAP24, MAP31 are most probably made by the same person since they all have the same copyright metadata string saying "Copyright © 2001 by <name>", some of them adding a text metadata string consisting simply of "Ray".

MAP18 and MAP29 use songs probably gotten from some MIDI site, they still has metadata about the instruments used on the tracks, but no useful metadata to identify the actual piece.

also, because I don't see it listed on the wiki or anything, e1m2 is a jazz standard (written by miles davis, originally) called "Donna Lee". I was scratching my head for a bit after loading this map because I knew I had it in my music library somewhere, after like an hour of sifting through eventually found it :D

Neat, thanks! Here is more stuff that I know:

Infinity
e1m3 - Michael Jackson - Beat It
e1m4 - Everybody Dance Now
e1m6 - Van Halen - Jump
e1m8 - Bladerunner theme

Eternity
e2m1 - Terminator theme
e2m3 - That Das Boot remix
e2m5 - Eye of the Tiger
e2m6 - Michael Jackson - Bad
e2m7 - Bladerunner again
e2m8 - Doom e3m8

Serenity
e3m3 - Axel F
e3m5 - Twin Peaks theme
e3m6 - Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence

I guess the most wanted song for me is Eternity e2m4 (beautiful). Also e2m2 sounds extremely familiar, I guess it's another jazz standard that everyone played at some point.

eternity e2m2 is "so what", also written by miles davis, guess they were fans.

also apparently infinity e1m7 is "too funky" by george michael.

serenity e3m1 is "25 or 6 to 4" by chicago, obviously. I feel like I know e3m3, but I can't quite place it.

unfortunately I don't recognize e2m4, it's indeed a pretty cool track.

I wonder if it's worth updating doomwiki with this sort of obscure soundtrack trivia? Usually my course of action when trying to identify midi goes: text-file --> doomwiki --> doomworld search --> google carpetbombing.

Ribbiks said:

also apparently infinity e1m7 is "too funky" by george michael.

Nice music video there...

I'd appreciate it if someone could shed some light on Map 20 of Icarus: Alien Vanguard. Love the music on that map

Anything from Destination Unknown please? I'm especially interested in 02 and 16. I think stewboy once said that all songs except map03 are from vgmusic. I only know 04 (Space Harrier theme) and 19 ("Cornered" from Phoenix Wright).

Memfis said:

Anything from Destination Unknown please? I'm especially interested in 02 and 16. I think stewboy once said that all songs except map03 are from vgmusic. I only know 04 (Space Harrier theme) and 19 ("Cornered" from Phoenix Wright).

Many I know from memory~
1) Remix of the theme from Cybernoid II

7) Theme of Wave Race 64

11) Daytona USA King of Speed

13) Intro theme to Advanced VG

14) (Broken Midi) Petshop Boys - Absolutely Fabulous

16) Seven Gates of Jambala - Title (A little harder to find but got it in the end!)

I did know more but perhaps later my memory will help!

is it Gez who has a program that compares the md5 of midi in doom wads to a database of some sort? If so I bet he could answer nearly any inquiry if the music was sourced from a popular site like vgmusic. Btw he should share the source for that, I've been debating writing some scripts to do it myself :D

Ribbiks said:

is it Gez who has a program that compares the md5 of midi in doom wads to a database of some sort? If so I bet he could answer nearly any inquiry if the music was sourced from a popular site like vgmusic. Btw he should share the source for that, I've been debating writing some scripts to do it myself :D

I just use SLADE 3 for that. (And it actually compares the CRC-32, not the MD5.)

I have a fattened version of Jimmy's jukebox PK3 where I just add more music in more folders from time to time. Then I paste a wad's music in it, do Archive->Maintenance->Check Duplicate Entry Content, and look if it catches anything.

It doesn't always. When music has been converted back and forth between MIDI2MUS and MUS2MIDI, the conversions are lossy. Found plenty of IWAD music in MUS format that didn't match the IWAD originals, for instance, though I don't hear any difference in playback.

Ahh. That does give me an idea though. Seems like it could be fun to write a little script that:

given a folder of mus and/or midi files:
- hashes the file
- converts mus2mid, or mid2mus, and hashes that also, stores with same metadata
- saves as database, or as a binary file, whatever.

then you could query it pretty easily. it could grow in a similar fashion as what you're already doing. Might take a few days to build it up initially though. There's that 2011 backup of all the midi from vgmusic, 30k files or so, could be supplemented with other popular midi sources (jimmy's jukebox, pop song midi, etc). brb ripping every midi ever created from the interwebs...

Idk, might be useful. Doesn't sound very hard to do either.

Of course it wouldn't catch edited tracks. For example I've messed with plenty of midi rearranging sections, making them loop better, adjust volumes etc. But it could be handy for catching the easier ones.

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/DWANGO

I noticed on this page it says map06 of dwango7 is unidentified? I'm almost positive this is Led Zeppelin, but I don't have my albums with me.. Please, if someone could help to identify it? I know I've heard the real version of this before..

What the heck? Map09 is also blank?! It's an awful version of "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You" by Zeppelin! Obviously whoever compiled this one was a Zep fan.

I guess I now have a reason to make an account on the Doom Wiki.

EDIT: Noticing a few more oddities, Dwango10 map10 simply says "Dwango10 map10 song", which I'm fairly sure is rubbish - Isn't this one of those awesome TeamTNT midis? Could definitely be wrong here but I don't think it's an original. (If you had an original this awesome, wouldn't you obviously put it at map01?)

DCdwango map16 is blank, isn't that from Requiem?

AZdwango map06 is blank, I'm 100% certain that's a Green Day song, but again, I don't have my CDs at the moment.

Some of these "hollow" sounding tunes that are blank, I'd venture a guess that they're originals, but of course there's no way to prove that unless the authors ever make an appearance in the community (which is of course VERY highly unlikely)

Doomkid said:

EDIT: Noticing a few more oddities, Dwango10 map10 simply says "Dwango10 map10 song", which I'm fairly sure is rubbish

When you see something like this on that page, it means the exact same song is reused later down the list. In this case, in D10M23.

Gez said:

When you see something like this on that page, it means the exact same song is reused later down the list. In this case, in D10M23.

Ahh, that makes sense. I wonder if all of these will end up discovered one day, or if the world will come to an end with these last few tracks remaining a mystery.

Memfis said:

Thanks a lot FuzzballFox, nice memory\knowledge. :D

Used to play the shit out of Destination Unknown back in the day~!
So the music sticks~