Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sigvatr

Things about Doom you just found out

when playing around with ZDoom console commands I recently found out that you can enter and execute multiple commands by separating them with a semicolon.

40oz said:

Theres a utility on the /idgames archive called KillDoom probably programmed by order of a supervisor of an office building, designed to detect if the offices' network has any instances of Doom running with it, and disconnects the game so that workers can't play Doom on the work computers.

Lots of people wrote this, and not out of mere pettiness. The first DOOM.EXE used IPX broadcasts for everything, so a network game made the network slow for everyone else (including other network Doom games; this imposed a practical limit on the number of games in one IPX broadcast domain - given the old Mond Room, say, with 20 workstations, we could not run 5 4-player games at once; more like 3 on a good day).

Worse yet, even if you weren't using the network, the machines of the day would use significant cycles on determining they weren't interested in the contents of the spew of IPX broadcasts; so network Doom made everyone's computer slow even if they weren't trying to use the network.

The upshot was pretty well anyone who wasn't trying to play Doom was trying to stop other people playing Doom.

Getsu Fune said:

Bloodfalls

http://i.imgur.com/tpU0hQd.png

it took me a while to realize that this square water block at the exit actually has HOMs on the sides. cool effect.

Well, after 6 or 7 years of playing Doom was I aware of a linedef opposing E2M2's yellow key not having having its upper texture on the wrong side. Never caught my attention before.

joe-ilya said:

There's a texture in Udoom which is called 'BROWNWEL'.

And is used in exclusively E2M3, in the Caco cage at the very beginning.

I don't know why but I love BROWNWEL. When it appears in Doom 1 maps, it's sort of like an inside joke, or something.

I think LITERED gets used somewhere but I can't think of where, off the top of my head.

plums said:

I don't know why but I love BROWNWEL. When it appears in Doom 1 maps, it's sort of like an inside joke, or something.

Me too. Always wondered why it ended up in that particular room in E2M3.

Eris Falling said:

E3M4 has some

k, near the red door. They're so oddly aligned that I confused them to be REDWALL1 or something similar.

plums said:

I don't know why but I love BROWNWEL.

ASD replied:

Me too. Always wondered why it ended up in that particular room in E2M3.

You 2! I'm no man of advertisements, but B2B.wad (Back to Basics) reuses this texture pretty well on da same slot.

the mauler demon (Realm667 monster that lunges at you to bite you) can actually jump upwards to bite you.

Prior to version 1.2 of Doom the status bar background was not a *single patch named 'STBAR' but 2 patches named 'STMBARL' and 'STMBARR'.
Furthermore there are also 'STABARL'("SCORE"), 'STABARR'("WEAPONS") and 'STCHAT'(EMPTY) background patches.

*during single player the "FRAGS" portions gets overwritten with "ARMS" and the according gadgets.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the shotgun and the SSG don't have similar reloading rates?
I found out that the shotgun reloads a bit faster than the SSG.

I just found out that midi files can trigger a Z_CheckHeap error when idcleving backwards to the map with the offending midi, assuming the map has already been visited. Go figure that one out.

BlueFeena said:

I just found out that midi files can trigger a Z_CheckHeap error when idcleving backwards to the map with the offending midi, assuming the map has already been visited. Go figure that one out.

Which port and which WAD, please?

Derp, scrubbed. Apparently solid files has gotten a healthy does of malware. I'll get back to you with details in little bit, fabian.

DOUBLE POAST LOOAL

You remember how a while back, everyone was wondering where the PSX's plasma gun sound came from? Especially considering that it first appeared in Dwango5? I think I have solved the mystery.

Wow, nice find! It's still likely that for the PSX version they took it from a sound library, and that the movie did too. But the DWANGO5 sound could definitely be recorded from the movie.

I found out that Doom 2 on ITYTD features very few monsters in every level. Max amount of monsters is around 50. In Map01 theres only 9 monsters if i remember right.

I just noticed when testing a map of mine, that the evil eye's candle is actually animated unlike the the regular candle which is static.

joe-ilya said:

The baphomet flat looks cartoonier than the texture.

I noticed this maybe two weeks ago tops while playing "Realm of Chaos", where both textures were close to each other.

BlueFeena said:

DOUBLE POAST LOOAL

You remember how a while back, everyone was wondering where the PSX's plasma gun sound came from? Especially considering that it first appeared in Dwango5? I think I have solved the mystery.

I always liked that soundeffect for the PR.

I thought that The Hitscan enemies are just Bad Guys experamenting about monsters creations a long time ago when I was very young at 1997,by the time I went to 2007,I just found out that the Hitscan enemies are actually undead!

I also found out about the Wraith Corps wads last year.