Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marnetmar

Evil Unleashed - New Screens on Page 2!

So, is this sponsored by the European Union?

Actually, this made me think that the utility name, and abbreviation, DEU (for DOOM Editing Utility) might well be derived from the name of the alpha versions...

myk said:

Demonic invasion caused by Hell joining the Schengen Area
European Commission says sending Marines to fight constitutes infringement against free competition, threatens with fines

I could see it.

A demo would be really great after all this time. No idea how far you have progressed with this in the meantime, but even if it's only one map, it would be something. ^^

myk said:

Actually, this made me think that the utility name, and abbreviation, DEU (for DOOM Editing Utility) might well be derived from the name of the alpha versions...

The European Union is secretly Hell.

NightFright said:

A demo would be really great after all this time. No idea how far you have progressed with this in the meantime, but even if it's only one map, it would be something. ^^

We're working on it c:

This has come quite a ways since I abandoned it and allowed hfc2x to take over, great job so far!

Although, I must admit I'm somewhat disappointed to see Cage's polished E1 press beta sky to have been tossed. This one just doesn't have as much atmosphere. Also, I think the blue sky would be better for the dark side in episode 3, while the brown one would fit better for the light side of episode 1.

I have to admit I think the brown sky works better too. I'll see if I can talk hfc2x into changing it :)

Need some crates? Because the Secondary Supply Depot has all the crates you could ever want!

The crates are hiding because they're shy

Can't wait for this one, loving the look of that main corridor there. I've always been intrigued by the concepts pitched by Hall in the Doom Bible, so it's exciting to have it finally march towards fruition.

That's it, I demand that the plug is pulled on this project effective immediately. I didn't lend my work to hfc2x be used as basis for illegal crowd-funding. As nice as the project is looking, I can't condone this kind of bullshit.

If anyone may, please inform hfc2x of my decision, preferably by posting a link to this post on the ZDoom forum thread of this project.

If you're going to continue the project (though I SERIOUSLY do not want you to), you must remove my own assets. These include:

*The completely gray 0.5 rifle.
*The alpha/final shotgun hybrid.
*The computer voices (like "ground floor" and stuff)
*My modified 0.4 maps (if any remain in the project)
*Whatever decorate coding I did.
*Who knows what else, I can't remember as it's been years.

Hell, I don't know. I don't have any power to actually stop anybody, but I'd prefer that either this entire project is cancelled or that someone other than hfc2x leads it.

This is an awful lot of work to go to waste. Perhaps I should just take control instead of having this shut down. In any case, I don't want hfc2x on this project anymore. Not only for the asinine attempt at monetization, but also that he seems to disrespect me despite building off of my work.

hfc2x said:
Sodaholic said:

*describing my Chocolate Doom fork version*

lol

Not sure why you're saying "lol" about it, but it seems that you're laughing at me, perhaps because I never completed that version.

hfc2x said:
Grain of Salt said:

hfc2x, is there an argument concealed somewhere in that mish-mash of quotes?

Sort of. It was some drama that happened on the ZDoom thread long ago that was heavily related to what you say you'd prefer to play.

What drama, you asshole? There was some drama in an entirely unrelated project, but not this one (until now). Is there something you're not letting me in on?

hfc2x said:

Or maybe because the whole first post was entirely dedicated to this whole fiasco? Who do you think I am to kill the project at the first sign of hassle? Sodaholic?

Are you calling me weak? It certainly seems so. Either way, yes, I'm trying to kill this thing because you're clearly toxic for this project. I wouldn't be so mad about it if it wasn't my stuff being used in absolutely asinine ways. Because my work is used as a basis, I feel that I have stake here.

If Bethesda catches wind of this, I don't want to be caught in the crosshairs just because you decided to do something illegal with my project. I will have nothing to do with crowdfunding for someone else's copyrighted work or anything else equally illegal.

Oh, and don't blank your posts. It's rude to those that arrived late and didn't get a chance to see what was said, and it's also a defacto admission of guilt. You don't blank posts if you're not embarrassed of their contents.

hfc2x said:

Okay, so this Thanks for all the people that were actually giving legit advice. I was actually suspecting that something like this would happen if I did, so I guess the campaign was dead from the start.

You had enough foresight to know that people would obviously have a problem with this, yet you took your chances and did it anyway. Great thinking.

hfc2x said:

So, don't support the campaign and just ignore whatever I've written in these last days. Thank you all anyways.

Oh, boy. You can't back out of this one, buddy. You've gone too far, irrevocably so. No, I won't "just ignore" such a grave offense and let you carry on as if nothing happened.

From my own experience, I've learned that one cannot pull some major bullshit and just go "nothing to see here folks" to save one's own ass after the public calls them out on it. Perhaps it's time you've learned the same lesson.

In any case, I demand that you give me a the current build of everything that has been done so far on this project and that you leave the team. Whether the project goes anywhere from here depends on if I feel like working on it and/or the current collaborators are willing to communicate to me via email or Doomworld's PM system. But for now, you're out for good.

Woah, really? I mean, I totally agree with you that the crowdfunding was a horrible idea, but given that the attempt ended 26 days ago, one day after he started, I think that we can assume that it's all OK now. Why can't we just forgive and forget?

EDIT: OK, this:

Or maybe because the whole first post was entirely dedicated to this whole fiasco? Who do you think I am to kill the project at the first sign of hassle? Sodaholic?

I can understand your anger at that. This is not a way to treat a co-developer/project contributor.

TheMightyHeracross said:

Woah, really? I mean, I totally agree with you that the crowdfunding was a horrible idea, but given that the attempt ended 26 days ago, one day after he started, I think that we can assume that it's all OK now. Why can't we just forgive and forget?

I only found out about it by merely coming across it early this morning. That it's been less than a month is entirely irrelevant. If I had known about this when it occurred, I would have reacted all the same.

Bringing illegal activities into the picture is a substantial violation. Note that I called it "irrevocably too far", and I mean it. I have zero tolerance for this shit, and the fact that he even attempted it means that it's already too late for him. Frankly, I don't give a shit that he retracted it a day later, it does not lessen the severity of his offense by any means and was only a cowardly way of trying to cover his own ass.

The moment I saw it, I knew what I had to do. Even after thinking about it for several hours, I still stand by this. My decision is final, he's out.

TheMightyHeracross said:

OK, this:

*hfc2x quote*

I can understand your anger at that. This is not a way to treat a co-developer/project contributor.

Crowd funding was only one of the issues, the insults being another. While I was tempted to boot him just for that and other insulting things he's said behind my back about me, I figured I'd keep quiet about it and not rustle any feathers. The crowd funding was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Someone always has to do something dumb and put a project at risk of collapse. I had hoped I wouldn't see another Devilution for a long time. I definitely understand where Soda is coming from and can definitely sympathise.

Did it have to be this project though :/ The Doom Bible is almost cursed with the rate of projects that try to make it then die out, and this looks like it'll break that trend.

Hope you guys can sort something out.

Marnetmar said:

Hey Soda, check your PMs

And yours. I hope this all blows over soon and that hfc2x respectfully resigns. I want to keep friction at a minimum.

Ragnor said:

Hope you guys can sort something out.

I hope so too. The faster, quieter, smoother and more peaceful, the better. I want to make it clear to everybody that I don't like drama and am only resorting to this because I will not tolerate what I find to be a grievous action in itself and a violation of my trust. I want this to be over ASAP.

I've revised the ZDoom wiki page of the project, but somebody reverted it thinking it was some kind of "hijack." Thing is, this has been my project all along, and have always reserved the right to remove anyone at any time for any reason, and have chosen to take this course of action with hfc2x who has violated the law and my trust.

I sense an edit war brewing, but don't want one to occur. I've restored my revision as I felt it the right thing to do (after all, it is my project), but will take no further action, as I do not have authority over the wiki or any illusions of such.

As for the project itself, I assert my authority and ownership. Though it (hopefully) doesn't need to be said, I don't assert ownership over those assets that others have graciously contributed, just the project as a general whole: who can work on it, what direction it will take and what assets do or do not go into the mod.

Soda my friend, I'm behind you 100%. hfc2x is a fucker and should stop backpedaling.

Also who the FUCK would give 2000 USD to a kickstarter project for a DOOM MOD. If it went the full time and got jack shit, Retsupurae probably would have done a video on it.

DrNukem said:

Soda my friend, I'm behind you 100%. hfc2x is a fucker and should stop backpedaling.

Also who the FUCK would give 2000 USD to a kickstarter project for a DOOM MOD. If it went the full time and got jack shit, Retsupurae probably would have done a video on it.

You're not helping the situation.

In other news I'm locking this thread until things have been cleaned up a bit.

No, it's okay, Marnetmar, DrNukem is a personal friend of mine. Oh, and thanks for reopening the thread; it will be very useful as a conduit for public communication to resolve this until it's over, at which point it should indeed be locked and left to rot.

I hate drama with a passion, but I'm not going to back down until hfc2x resigns. I will communicate with everyone to get this sorted out as soon as possible. I didn't want it to come to this, but I didn't make this decision lightly.

Jake Crusher said:

Wait a sec, I don't get it. If Sodaholic is not EU's current leader (no pun intended), and hfc2x decided not to do that crowd-funding stuff - then why the first person is so irritated?
I do not wish to see this project stopped. Especially because of someone's rash decision to stop everything.

Let me explain it to you from my position.

When I handed the project off to hfc2x in early 2011, I only gave him permission to work on it as he saw fit; I did not excise my rights. Since a bulk of my work is still in there, it is still very much my project. And as for the "not the current leader" thing; I am now because I said so.

I think it's misrepresenting the situation to say that hfc2x "decided not to do that crowd-funding stuff". No, he very much decided to. Deciding to and then backpedaling like a coward after justified backlash =/= deciding not to at all.

Why am I irritated? Well, I'm more than irritated; I'm pissed. This is my project to begin with and the majority of my work still in there (if the gameplay videos are up to date). He went and broke the law using my assets. Everyone knows just how litigious Bethesda is, and I do not appreciate potentially being put at legal risk because of his stupid recklessness. And as much as I think copyright law needs revision, I still respect it in some ways. If I were id/Bethesda/Zenimax, I'd be pissed, and rightly so.

This isn't the only thing. While minor in comparison to this, I've been quietly watching him and this project for a while and have become annoyed with his disrespectful insults about me behind my back. The Kickstarter thing is the main issue, but the insults are only further justification for my decision.

Not only is it my project he's badly handling, but he broke the law and he broke my trust. I have very good reason to be upset.

And while my initial reaction was "shut it all down," if you had actually bothered to read the rest of what I wrote, you would know that I've decided to simply take over than shut it down. I and others don't want to see this project die, so I'll do what I can to prevent that.

Despite my highly negative tone in this post, I do want to clarify that I'm not mad at you at all, even if I find your view of the situation lacking in understanding. The only person I'm mad at is hfc2x, and I don't want anyone else to think that I'm mad at them.

EDIT:

wildweasel said:

Considering that he has only now decided - after one small mistake - to return and reassert his leadership over a project that, two years ago, he wanted nothing more to do with? Not cool.

You make a legitimate point. Though never stated until now, the reason I tried to remove my credit was out of childish spite in regards to how my tenure at the ZDoom forums ended. Though, rationally and in retrospect, the two are actually unrelated. However, I was in a less rational and less mature state of mind back then. Not that that excuses it; it's still on the record.

Take from it what you will, I will admit that it is a weak point in my argument, but I don't consider it very valid since much of it still remains my work and being the author, I feel I have the right to regain credit. I look at it that though one may attempt to conceal credit for whatever reason, it is impossible to actually lose it by virtue of being the author whether one likes it or not. Others may see it differently of course, and I'm fine with that.

Also, I must disagree with you that it was not a "small mistake". He broke the fucking law, for god's sake. Wanting credit or not, my work is still in there and I did not authorize it to be used in that way. I also don't appreciate being put at potential risk by being connected to the project, should Bethesda choose to litigate.

wildweasel said:

About the only things he can legally claim credit to are probably the computer voices and the code. The rest is so deeply rooted in the original, id Software-copyrighted assets that demanding that they be pulled is pretty much meaningless, since they can be very easily recreated from the id assets.

Also true. Though, some of my maps were heavily edited from the 0.4 versions I used as a basis. While I realize one could recreate them from scratch just by reference, they were unique. I think I deserve at least partial credit. Not in any legal sense or whatever, but rather in an "etiquette" kind of way, if that makes any sense.

Sodaholic said:

Also, I must disagree with you that it was not a "small mistake". He broke the fucking law, for god's sake. Wanting credit or not, my work is still in there and I did not authorize it to be used in that way. I also don't appreciate being put at potential risk by being connected to the project, should Bethesda choose to litigate.

No litigation ever took place, though, and the crowdfunding campaign was canceled with no money having changed hands. So, no, he did not "break the fucking law." You're overreacting.

I had written another semi-lengthy response, but I decided it's not worth it and that this has escalated enough as it is and would rather just wait for hfc2x and the other contributors to be notified and aware of this and hopefully we can work it out in private from there.

For the record: I am willing to compromise. He can continue his project as long as it doesn't use any, and I do mean any, of my stuff (except for the easily reproducible weapon sprites). Though, the work that other contributors has made is very valuable, and I would hope that they're willing to work with me or me and hfc2x, but I'm obviously not expecting anything of them. Everyone is free to make their own decisions, and so am I. I choose to entirely separate myself from hfc2x as he has crossed several lines too many for my liking.

Regardless of who's working on it and if there are multiple versions or not, I just want this project to succeed.

EDIT: I've seen that hfc2x has responded. Well, he's not cooperating. Fuck it, I may as well put it to rest.

You don't want drama yet you have caused an enormous riot? lmao

That's all I can say about it.

Hmm, I honestly can't take a side. Sodaholic is trying to take ownership of a mod he ditched two years ago over an incident that ended a month back and lasted only a day. Meanwhile, hfc2x is being a jerk and calling his former co-developer (whose work this mod is based off of) names and insulting him behind his back.

Honestly, out of this drama, I can only see this thread (and mod) go to (Post) Hell. R.I.P Evil Unleashed.

I'm still pissed at hfc2x, but if he's not willing to budge then it's not worth the trouble.

I don't know exactly what to think about what I've just done. I feel justified yet disgusted with myself at the same time. I'm leaving this issue here since I can't make any progress.

If I make it through this unscathed, I'm going to take a posting hiatus of at least a month to think over my behavior.