Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lost Heretic

Scythe 2 Demos [-complevel 2]

dew: Are you confusing spechits and intercepts again?

Spechits overflow emulation is the one you should definitely have turned on (no bad effects and it means it emulates the original game accurately), and intercepts is the one you should turn off unless you are investigating this phenomenon or have something very unusual in mind (i.e. exploiting the overflow to exit a map with a damage/exit sector). Otherwise nothing beneficial can come from having intercepts overflow turned on, as all it will do is trash an attempt without adding any useful compatibility otherwise.

memfis's simple advice is good (although playeringame is largely irrelevant): turn emulation on in all other cases, and for general play or recording, turn all warnings off.

I also recommend that once you have the settings set up the way you are happy with, you retain your cfg files, and whenever you upgrade to the latest glboom-plus.exe/prboom-plus.exe (using the current test version is recommended), you simply overwrite the old exe with the new one.

Memfis said:

Eventually it will happen to you during a really good attempt about 4 hours into okumap and then you'll be a little angry at yourself.

It happens only with -cl2/3/4, okumap is unaffected by it. ToD's cl2 maps are somewhat prone to trigger them a little more occassionally but those are all I could think of.

Grazza said:

I also recommend that once you have the settings set up the way you are happy with, you retain your cfg files, and whenever you upgrade to the latest glboom-plus.exe/prboom-plus.exe (using the current test version is recommended), you simply overwrite the old exe with the new one.

Hmm, but what if there are some new config variables in the version I'm updating to? For example here it says that there are now variables for playing with monster health bars, however they don't simply appear in the cfg file after you load the newest *.exe, it seems. That feature sounds really fun, I want to try it. :)

edit: wow, also just found out about the crosshair and how you can make it lock on targets and change the color when doing so. Super cool feature, gonna come in handy when shooting at monsters above you!

Wow, nowadays no matter how good demo you post, people don't comment. I didn't know such a low time would be possible.

I really liked the demo, but jario's mute textfiles/upload posts make me less inclined to post feedback. Throw me a line, show some emotions. :P

I guess the tower part can still go (much?) better, but only at (unrealistically?) increased risk or some new strategy. I mean, the cyb manipulation takes some effort, hehe. It's really sweet that you come up with all this stuff tho.

Heh, when Ancalagon\j4rio\etc started posting lots of awesome demos in short periods of time (remember the Death-Destiny craze for example?) they kind of lost their value for me. My typical reaction slowly transformed from "woah, this is so amazing, unbelievable" to "oh yeah, another impossible demo, cool I guess". Too much of good things was too much for me, plus at that time I was already getting much less passionate about the game anyway.

I'm not familiar enough with Scythe 2 to really make a worthwhile comment. In general, though, not much commenting goes on in this forum; it's mostly just uploading runs. Whenever I look at older posts or threads here, there seems to be much more discussion going on. I guess it's getting harder and harder to impress people. :P

Guess people are getting jaded or just don't care as much, but I'm always seeing great runs by people in which 90% of them I'll praise for. Should start doing so to make people feel better :P

dew said:

I really liked the demo, but jario's mute textfiles/upload posts make me less inclined to post feedback. Throw me a line, show some emotions. :P

Hehe, that's a lie, even textfiles with emotional breakdowns in them don't instigate responses these days. I guess it just got somewhat passive here overall over the years. Also, I don't feel too inclined to write anything in textfiles anymore, just letting the demo speak for itself. If I were to comment on something, I would probably just mention that cyb near exit had an unreal infight with afrit, that's about it. Strategies? What a bore. Map description? Watch and see for yourself.

dew said:

I guess the tower part can still go (much?) better, but only at (unrealistically?) increased risk or some new strategy. I mean, the cyb manipulation takes some effort, hehe.

You mean BK? Maybe, dunno.

Memfis said:

Heh, when Ancalagon\j4rio\etc started posting lots of awesome demos in short periods of time (remember the Death-Destiny craze for example?) they kind of lost their value for me. My typical reaction slowly transformed from "woah, this is so amazing, unbelievable" to "oh yeah, another impossible demo, cool I guess". Too much of good things was too much for me.

That's rather demotivating thing to hear.

:DD Please don't take personally, it's just me getting bored of the game more than anything else.

very same as memfis sadly, but i guess ill be back in a while again. i mean i play with breaks since i was a kid, i'm not going to quit totally before i've got a grandson taking my place.

4shockblast said:

I'm not familiar enough with Scythe 2 to really make a worthwhile comment. In general, though, not much commenting goes on in this forum; it's mostly just uploading runs. Whenever I look at older posts or threads here, there seems to be much more discussion going on. I guess it's getting harder and harder to impress people. :P

Funny :-)
I remember that maybe 3-4 years ago I noticed this slowly coming change, that replies on these forums will be written just according to the template: (WAD) - MAP - CATHEGORY - TIME (+ ATTACHEMENT) ... and nothing else + no reactions from others. (it was some long spree of Revved or maybe j4rio replies that made me think about this, btw :-))
Well, that's the progression, we can't stop it :-)

Anyway, awesome demo j4rio! My jaw is dropping very often while watching your crazy runs.

Writing here, I realized that I have one little run that I recorded almost 2 years ago and was perhaps too ashamed of uploading it: map21 max in 3:00.

Cheers! :-)

s221-300.zip

Awesome magical survival on map05. :) Heading for the soulsphere on map02 looked silly since you've lost that health surplus in like the next 10 seconds. Perhaps that's something you can skip to save time. It may sound a bit absurd but in my 2002ado E1 runs I noticed that the e1m1 soulsphere didn't necessarily help because with >100 HP I would get too ballsy and quickly lose the bonus health. So I skipped it sometimes and it didn't really seem to affect that much.

Yeah, unfortunately, taking unnecessary health is something I tend to do a lot. Not sure if I'll go back and try again, though, my luck throughout this was fairly good (really, I should have died on MAP05 :P)

It's finally done (thanks to Looper)! The shortest of them all, enjoy!

====================================================================
                             Scythe II
                             Episode II
                             Done Quick
                 The Ultra-Violence TAS Speed Movie
======================================================================
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Map06 - Temple Entryway      _  0:06    0%     0%     0%     
Map07 - Temple of Isis       _  0:09    0%     0%     0%     
Map08 - Graverobbers         _  0:18    4%     4%     0%     
Map09 - Valley of the Queen  _  0:09    0%     0%     0%
Map10 - Pharaos Tomb         _  0:37   18%     0%     0%
----------------------------------------------------------------------
                       Total _  1:19                         
Recorded using GLBoom-Plus 2.5.0.4 / GLBoom-Plus 2.5.0.6 beta
Doom Replay Editor 2.0 custom / XDRE 2.06
Strafe50 is always ON
 prboom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file scythe2.wad -playdemo sii2-119.lmp
 (-complevel 2)
 prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file scythe2.wad
 -playdemo sii2-119.lmp
P.S. I was busy, so sorry for keeping you waiting.

sii2-119.zip

Well, it is virtually impossible for me to improve that E2 run for a D2ALL. Don't think I'll try to improvement, nor continue to D2ALL. I have Resurgence to do boys!

MD922 said:

Well, it is virtually impossible for me to improve that E2 run for a D2ALL. Don't think I'll try to improvement, nor continue to D2ALL.

A bit anticlimactic.