Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Coraline

3DGE 1.4a Released! (>60 FPS interpolation!)

So, this is in Blogs because I don't think it's a big deal as far as DOOM engine releases go, and that there's been 5 previous versions of EDGE 1.36 that I've released (A-E). However, this is the final version and the next bump up from 1.35, which was the last vanilla EDGE to be released.

I guess I'm buzzed, drunk soon probably, and want some feedback on the new version of the engine. Lots of updates since 1.36, here are the major ones overall: MD3 models, Splitscreen Multiplayer, Timidity Out-Of-Box support, DDF additions, fixes from 1.35, etc.

Also, massive props to ajapted for providing me with details on fixing bugs that weren't noticed before. I'm still not 100% on DOOM-specific stuff so he's been a huge help.

1.36 overall was sort of a turmoil thing for me while I was learning all aspects of this particular engine, but 1.36 final feels really solid. Technically it's numbered 1.37 in the console because there were freaking a billion updates to 1.36, but only because 3DGE 2.0 is going to be a pretty giant update in comparison. Lots of new stuff there.

So, uh, here's the link! Changelog is attached below the download on SF.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/edge2/files/3DGE%20binaries/1.36/1.36%20Final/

Doing bug-hunt rounds on the Zdoom forums so feel free to post those here as well!

POST UPDATE
1.4a is now released, which contains rendering interpolation, although this is unfinished and doesn't bring any bugfixes from 1.36Final. Please see POST #1310263 for more details!

You can download 1.4A here

I would have said put it in the source ports section whether or not it gets the attention it deserves. I feel it will garner more attention there and be much more easier to access than in blogs, personally. Nice to see that you've finally got a final release out. I'll give it a try, but I don't think I am set up to handle the full experience without some severe lag. Good job.

MD3 model support? Sweet! I was not much aware of this source port besides seeing people mention it but now it interests me greatly.

It's warming to see people are still rooting for this engine. And Avoozl - glad you are taking interest! I bought a new domain name for the port and will be installing a Wiki-based system, while simultaneously updating the documentation (hasn't been touched since EDGE 1.29).

The next immediate version will be 1.4, which will bring MD5 models and some minor features like decals. Then we hit 2.0 territory, which will be the "major" version with things like rendering interpolation, SPLINE camera controllers, and other very cool additions that should bring the port into the modern age. Oh, and hopefully finishing up Heretic support.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing fully-functioning Heretic support.

You type pretty well for someone who's been drinking :p

plums said:

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing fully-functioning Heretic support.

You type pretty well for someone who's been drinking :p

Yep, my concentration is really fine while inebriated, I pay too much attention to punctuation. ^_^ IRL, though, maybe not. lol

Yes, full Heretic support is right around the corner. Aside from the obvious visual glitches and lack of inventory, I think the game is emulated pretty well.

I will have to update.
Edge is one of the four Doom engines I keep around (DL, PrBoom, Edge, EE). What I lack is some good demo wads for it, and some wads like 3dHorror, phobiata, and and hth2.

Beware of the 2.0. We still have DoomLegacy 2.0 stuck in limbo.

Urban Space Cowboy said:

Great. Where's the source code? Most recent source release is from 2011, and it's GPL'd.

And that's why I strapped the "drunk" in front of the first post xD

It's uploaded, sorry about that! Honest mistake :O

This port is seeming quite nice, I'm getting a very good first impression!

How do I go about starting a splitscreen game? I see the option there in the menu, but the cursor skips over it. Is it incomplete? (Sorry if this is answered, I swear I looked first!)

I've also noticed some oddities with the gun bobbing while SR50ing and running against walls, but that's a very minor thing.

Thanks for your willingness to give the port a chance, and we are glad it's working out for you!

Splitscreen can be started with the -splitscreen command line parameter, but it's unfinished. There is a minor RTS bug that gives BENEFITS to both players instead of one, and the input is wonky (I'll let you figure that one out). Was supposed to be finished by now but haven't gotten around to the controls quite yet.

Yes, there are a few oddities here and there with EDGE, but it's not a big deal for most players as it's nothing game-stopping.

Inspired by the recent 'try another port' thread I thought I'd give 3DGE a bash. I'm really enjoying it along with Doom4ever. However, I have a video issue. The screen flickers to black every few frames. I'm running the 1.36 final build from Sourceforge on Windows 7 Pro 64 bit with an i7 4770k and Intel HD 4600 GPU. Any help would be appreciated. :)

PS: It happens whether in fullscreen or windowed. In windowed mode the whole monitor screen flickers the same way not just the game window.

Pretty cool source port! Lots of things I like about this - the HUD is unique and effective. I like how the gun bobbing speeds up while running as opposed to walking. The options menu is well laid out and presents important features without having to scroll through a thousand other things. Not a ZDoom replacement for me, but much better than I was expecting. Too bad I'm not getting any music playback though which is odd.

@Average

I hope you don't have one one of those software opengl emulators. You might give it a go with vsync on then off although in my personal testing 3dge likes vsync on.'

zZaRDoZz said:

@Average

I hope you don't have one one of those software opengl emulators. You might give it a go with vsync on then off although in my personal testing 3dge likes vsync on.'

I don't think so. I've never even heard of an OpenGL emulator! I'll give the vsync thing a go though. :)

A few bugs I've found after using 3DGE 1.36 for a few days:

• The fancy INTERPIC (from BFG edition maybe?) always displays in Doom 2, even if you're using a wad with a custom INTERPIC.
  • Player bobbing is pretty extreme. I thought this might be just a quirk of the engine, but it seems much more normal in 1.36E
  • The way the view snaps when you hit with a melee attack is also quite extreme. With the chainsaw, it can cause the camera to shake all over the place.
  • In doom.wad, BIGDOOR4 has some weird offsets, but it gets displayed normally in vanilla Doom and most ports. In 3DGE the vertical offset is not corrected (though I think the horizontal offset is?)

Enjoying using 3DGE so far, will post more detailed thoughts in a week or two.

RUSH said:

Too bad I'm not getting any music playback though which is odd.

Change your music device to Timidity in the Sound Options menu. Restart 3DGE and it should be fixed.

For plums:

1) My fault, it can easily be changed by going into your IMAGES.DDF and commenting out the top two strings (INTERPIC and the IMAGE_DATA). Due to this, any WAD that isn't 3DGE-based and doesn't overwrite this string will not always take precedence even over custom INTERPICS not defined by DDF. I forgot that simply replacing the lump without overwriting it via DDF would work too.

2) Can be changed via DDF. Go into THINGS.DDF, search for [OUR_HERO:1], and add this command before the STATES code: BOBBING [percentage];. That way you can fine tune it to your liking. ;)

3) Just a feature of 3DGE, really.

4) I'll check out that offset bug.

Ohter than that, glad you are enjoying it so far.

Thanks. I figured at least some of that was adjustable, just wasn't sure where to look. Shame about the melee attacks but I'll manage.

For anyone else wanting to adjust the viewbob, the exact line that gave me something closer to what I'm used to is

BOBBING=25%;

edit: Another bug (that I've fixed myself by editing things.ddf): Spiderdemon has the wrong pain sound, POPAIN instead of DSPAIN

Haha yeah the bobbing is off the friggin' scale by default...

plums said:
edit: Another bug (that I've fixed myself by editing things.ddf): Spiderdemon has the wrong pain sound, POPAIN instead of DSPAIN

Great work there. Some of these things haven't been changed since the DOSDoom days, so it's awesome to see these discrepancies finally corrected.

Heh, the problem with me trying out a port is that I'm likely to make more work for you :P

Here's a tricky one. If a linedef has the "secret" flag, a monster can't trigger it, regardless of the effect. AFAIK this should only apply to doors (no idea about Boom linetypes). One example where this causes problems is doom2.wad MAP08 - the southwest door opens to a long hallway with the chainsaw, when you pick it up, it opens a door in front of you with a baron who is supposed to teleport right away. But he doesn't in 3DGE.

Also, any reason why so few linetypes are marked as single-sided? I added that flag to most non-Edge Push and Manual types (what's the difference?) in lines.ddf, because in the last wad I played I unintentionally did a whole lot of sequence breaking by using the backside of linedefs.

BTW is this the best way to report bugs? If you have a bugtracker, or prefer them on the ZDoom forums, I don't mind using one of those instead.

titaniumgl.tk/

This is for Average or anyone still having video issues. The wrapper linked to isn't the best solution as titaniumgl can't run 3dge with dynamic lights. Also, there's a hit to the framerate. If you're still testing for 3dge and are willing to run it with dynamic lights off, this dll can get things going. If you had rendering issues and find this does or does not address them, please describe your experiences to us.

The latest version of titaniumGL has a timer. I believe Geri has older versions avalible if you want to avoid time limits.

Chu, is there any way to use the 3DGE custom HUD in ZDoom? Is it available for download somewhere or is it unique to 3DGE? Are there plans for releasing it on other source ports? It really rocks!

It is unique to 3DGE, and thank CeeJay for that bit of awesomeness. That's called COAL and it's the LUA-based system to program the heads-up display...you can do so much more with it even at that!

@plums: is there a way you can upload your DDF-edits to a file-hosting service so I can take a look at what you did? Probably planning on integrating them and releasing DDF "upgrades" as soft bugs are fixed.

Lookout, here come tha bugzz!

Demo file: https://www.mediafire.com/?f4tr7zor279f5xq
Illustrates the following problems, all taken from actual wads. Compare with PrBoom+ for intended behaviour.

• Auto-aim is a bit weird sometimes with mouselook. If you aim slightly to the left from the start, your shots will fire in the general direction of the demon, but never hit him.
  • Monster melee attacks are off somehow. Behind the door there's a hell knight and a demon. If you can get them infighting, they will often just start biting/clawing at each other but not doing any damage, staying locked in a shouting/slapping match.
  • Boom scrollers aren't right. If you enter the room to the right, wait until the second door opens fully, then hit the switch, the voodoo doll will fail to cross the door sector and the floor won't lower like it should.
  • The room to the left has a sector with 0 height, no upper textures, and a transparent middle texture, and is also tagged with a Boom transfer properties action to make it look normal. This is so you can get a transparent texture but not be able to shoot through it; in 3DGE, this just shows up as black.
  • Tall skies don't scale properly with mouselook. Look up and you'll see a large black circle.
  • Player starts will telefrag objects. Start the map on easy to spawn a barrel where the voodoo doll in the corner is, killing you instantly.
  • MIDI music always plays through timidity. To illustrate this, the map uses Doom 2's MAP02 music converted to MIDI. If you have 3DGE set to native MIDI playback, you should be able to hear the difference between the music on the first map vs. MAP02 from Doom 2.
Other bugs:
  • I think that switches added through Boom's SWITCHES lump don't make sound when activated. I can find you an example if you need one.
  • No MBF sky transfers. I realize that this is known, based on lines.ddf, but it's still :(
Don't get the wrong idea - despite all this and some other quirks, I'm still liking 3DGE and think highly of it. However some of these bugs have prevented me from using it to play certain maps, which is a shame.