Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyka

TNT: Revilution . 2 small to medium maps wanted

Oh. Soz. I thought I had.

I will fix that right now. :)

@fellowzdoomer. I kinda like the uniqueness of your map. It has interesting ideas. But generally, I agree with Megamur's assessment. I would still like to see the finished map though, as there is plenty of potential. :)

Megamur said:
Review

I removed revenants, swapped them with Cacodemons and removed the useless platforms.

KiiYiiKiiA said:
Surprise post while Fellowzdoomer is posting! Woot Woot!

Thanks, KiiYiiKiiA. I'm intending for something "like" TNT01, but more my style. Ragnor? Opinion? Do you agree with Megamur and KiiYiiKiiA?

Havent seen it yet. Still insanely busy with my new house

EDIT: I just broke a window on the backdoor, due to the door jamming on the carpet, so I just made my life busier, great -_-

In other news, 40oz has done a map for this. Woohoo!

Ragnor said:

Havent seen it yet. Still insanely busy with my new house

EDIT: I just broke a window on the backdoor, due to the door jamming on the carpet, so I just made my life busier, great -_-

GR Door Open Stay.

This is tnt, so did you breaking that window cause a door to open somewhere else in the house? :P

Sorry bro, hope it all works out ok. :)

Well, typically, the landlord is being a cunt and trying to cheat their way out of not only this but every other broken thing in the house that was already present when we moved in (30+ things!) so I wouldnt say "going well"

Might ignore the house and blast some dudes while picturing said person.

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

GR Door Open Stay.

That's a win for Kyka.

And in the interest of balance, I seem to have a found a bug in the texture pack (I assume latest version is still 12?)

R_TextureNumforName: ASPHALT not found
I spotted this next one on Take 2 of MAP14, which I since deleted, so I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think it's ROCKCK2 that produces a tutti on every use.

Eris Falling said:

That's a win for Kyka.

And in the interest of balance, I seem to have a found a bug in the texture pack (I assume latest version is still 12?)

R_TextureNumforName: ASPHALT not found
I spotted this next one on Take 2 of MAP14, which I since deleted, so I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think it's ROCKCK2 that produces a tutti on every use.

Well technically 12b, but meh.

Thanks heaps for finding these. Just when I thought it was safe to call the texture pack done. Nah!

The Asphalt texture was just plain missing. so fixed that.

And the ROCKCK2 texture does produce tutti frutti. As do ROCKCK1 ROCKCK3 and ROCKCK4. Reason being they have the same name as their associated flats. Which is something I knew, and thought I had changed them all, but nooo. Apparently not.

I will get a new version sent out soon.

Great work on this, much appreciated.

Done outside of special purpose textures I assume. Someday we'll have the final boss to add, and theres also the blue light IoS.

I'm around 85& done with the layout, all i'm missing is the actuall exit door and the first room which i want to leave for the end as I have no idea what kind of start room would fit the project..

I was wondering if there any chance that you guys can pm me the midi for the map? because i want to base my gameplay around that.(fast-paced means fast-paced gameplay and such).

Ragnor said:

Done outside of special purpose textures I assume. Someday we'll have the final boss to add, and theres also the blue light IoS.

Yes. And also a few special textures for the map 32 secret level.

Fellowzdoomer said:

Don't forget me on the list of people to send the texture pack to!

Coming soon. :)

SFoZ911 said:

I'm around 85& done with the layout, all i'm missing is the actuall exit door and the first room which i want to leave for the end as I have no idea what kind of start room would fit the project..

I was wondering if there any chance that you guys can pm me the midi for the map? because i want to base my gameplay around that.(fast-paced means fast-paced gameplay and such).

Technically there isn't a specific midi for your map, as it is on the reserve list at the moment. So probably do whichever you prefer and we will find a midi to suit. :)

Ragnor is the MIDI man, so see what he thinks.

Based on the midi list, its Buckets TiN Toker, right?

Also, I've been thinking. Naming my level. I'm thinking that Terminal X is an ok name, but I've been thinking: If I name it Terminal Compound, then it can be a sneaky pun (TeRminal ComPound = TRCP). any thoughts?

KiiiYiiiKiiiA said:

Technically there isn't a specific midi for your map, as it is on the reserve list at the moment. So probably do whichever you prefer and we will find a midi to suit. :)

Ragnor is the MIDI man, so see what he thinks.

TiN Toker is locked. Map 1 is, no matter what, using that midi.

SFoZ911 and FellowZDoomer, TiN Toker is a blend of Evilution's Map 30 midi (So it will be instantly familiar to you both) and a previous midi from Bucket, unused in this project because doubles, called TargeT Neutralised. It is indeed a typical fast paced opening track.

The past couple of days i've been working on my map01 submission and I made something solid enough to look into. Basically all i'm missing is enemy placement and a secret room. I would like to ask if someone would be kind to take a look and maybe give me some directions.

For sure. PM it on over. :)

Ok. Texture pack version 13 has been sent out. If you didn't receive it and feel that you should have, then please let me know.

Thanks guys. :)

ROCKCL3 still tuttis, but ROCK8 is identical anyway and works properly. This might be the cause, but I haven't checked the other ones.

Now while I'm here, here's the first shot from my 3rd attempt at MAP14. Not quite "Visplanic Drawsegian Disaster II: Why didn't we just go limit-removing?: The Movie" yet, but since this area isn't quite finished, I need to be careful. Currently capping at about 90-100 visplanes and 220 drawsegs at the moment. Sky censored with AURORA1 again.

The lost excavation site. Abandoned many years ago when they said the caverns were beginning to collapse. But it's still here. Did they make a mistake, or was there another reason for leaving?

Eris Falling said:

ROCKCL3 still tuttis, but ROCK8 is identical anyway and works properly. This might be the cause, but I haven't checked the other ones.

I an a stupid head. And that is all.

Now while I'm here, here's the first shot from my 3rd attempt at MAP14. Not quite "Visplanic Drawsegian Disaster II: Why didn't we just go limit-removing?: The Movie" yet, but since this area isn't quite finished, I need to be careful. Currently capping at about 90-100 visplanes and 220 drawsegs at the moment. Sky censored with AURORA1 again.

[image]

The lost excavation site. Abandoned many years ago when they said the caverns were beginning to collapse. But it's still here. Did they make a mistake, or was there another reason for leaving?

Like the screen. :)

Nope, it's completely new. Though now you mention it, it does bear some resemblance.

And more to the point, why are the lights on? And what's with the massive blank monitors on the inside? *nudges Ragnor*

Eris Falling said:

http://imgur.com/bhC8wWQ

It looks like a lot of your render-limit budget is being spent on things that aren't really visible. I had to squint at the darkness for a while to even guess at where that many planes and segs could be coming from. If you're wanting to free up some budget to enhance the more visible parts, a couple of things I notice:

- The layers of hard-to-see dark rocks on the ceiling above the pit could be eliminated in favor of using the existing pit sector (possibly using a fade-to-black texture edit if you're so inclined). It's dark enough up there that it isn't really contributing much to the scene.

- The walls adjacent to the sky windows appear to have something odd going on with them, though I can't quite make out what from this distance. It looks like the adjacent walls have a different brightness in the middle than on the top and bottom, so I guess there's a sector indentation somewhere? I'd give them the axe, too -- if they're being used functionally (for monster closets or something), you could probably make them work without the indented sectors in front of the closet doors.

- The lower rock border around the pit could be made to only run along the sides of the bridge to accommodate the texture change, rather than all along the other edges that share the same rock texture. If part of it is accessible as part of the layout or a secret, that section of the border could be kept while eliminating the rest -- rocks allow you to be inconsistent in ways that are harder to get away with on manmade structures, because we expect rocks to be inconsistent and asymmetrical by their very nature.

- The two doorways positioned orthogonally across from one another create a long line of sight between them, and even with player-only triggers to open them with, doors can't be relied upon to block sight: if anything is standing in the way of a door while it's trying to close, it'll reopen and you're in limit hell again. It appears that one of the buildings is shifted off to the side of the bridge to mitigate this, but that seems a bit on-the-nose :)

If the symmetry between sides was eliminated, you'd have some less-noticeable options for blocking sight, like angling one side differently from the other, changing heights with a rock stairway to a higher or lower level (which could also be used to angle the entrances away from one another), and expanding the cliff area on one side in such a way that a well-placed rock pillar (among whatever steps or other structures would be used to add more distance between views) would be aesthetically believable.

BTW, I hope you've accounted for the doors in the area when counting planes/segs!

Getting into more subjective aesthetic commentary, it also might be worth reconsidering the lighting implementation: the directional light sectors don't seem to make very much sense, with several bright wall lights/floor lamps in both the lit and shadowed areas. With all the lights going on in the area (some of which are superfluous IMHO), you could simply light up the two far ends in their entirety (i.e. eliminate the directional shadow sectors) and take advantage of the scene's existing light/dark contrast between the dark pit and the bright cliffs.

Different rock textures would probably also go a long way towards making the area not appear so limit-constrained.

If you needed to optimize further, the wall-light/detail sectors on the two buildings could have their heights shifted to match either the floor or ceiling height of the sector in front of them. If their light levels and flats match with the main cliff sector in front of them, this would allow some visplanes to be merged.

With these changes and other similar ones, you should have more freedom to add more architectural complexity to other places, such as the bridge itself which is looking pretty bare with the big techlamps sitting in the dark on the ends of their flat siderails.

Cheers essel.
Sadly, for some reason I seem to be finding this about a million times more difficult than it really is, and in the past hour, I've managed...

...whatever this is supposed to be.

It's hard to tell from that isolated shot: is that a separate area built off of the scene you showed, or a rebuilding of it? If it's the former, I don't think you need to be quite that hardcore about separating the areas.

(You could get away with a bunch less vertices on the large area's rock walls and stairs there, though, either way.)

It's a rebuild. I basically merged all the sectors except for those steps on the side. I was struggling to delete snippets of the stuff properly, so I blanked it and tried to start again, then stalled there too. I'll give it another try later.