Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
entryway

PrBoom-Plus, ver. 2.5.1.4

I suggest giving an _actual_ example, ie directly cut and pasted, and do likewise with some other Doom engine where this works.

Rez said:

Tho... I thought it did commandlines in the console box, just like a DOS port?? but it flat ignores me (it pops up the "Which WAD?" window, but that's all). What am I doing wrong??

Try disabling the In-game Launcher (Options -> second page -> bottom). Having the WADs in the same dir as the exec also helps (but you already know this), alternatively you can point to the dir where you keep 'em with the %DOOMWADDIR% system enviroment variable.
Good to see you, BTW, but where is Len? ;)

EDIT: also see this post - most of the time you don't have to bother with command lines to watch demos with prB+.

Never_Again said:

Never? you're sure? :D I must know you by some other handle. <scratching head>

Never_Again said: Try disabling the In-game Launcher (Options -> second page -> bottom). Having the WADs in the same dir as the exec also helps (but you already know this), alternatively you can point to the dir where you keep 'em with the %DOOMWADDIR% system enviroment variable.

I'll try disabling the launcher, since far as I can tell it's not doing anything anyway :( It ignored full path, only recognised WADs in its own directory. That could get awful messy... (especially with a weird conglomeration I like to use for alt-monsters).

Tho I'm a bit baffled that something so otherwise-advanced can't take a %DOOMWADDIR% from its own .cfg or via ordinary Browse, and has to take it from the environment. That's just nuts when the OS doesn't really want to let you do SET stuff. (WinXP here)

Hopefully I'll have a new monitor in a couple weeks and will dare mess with it again. Right now when PRB+ does the "randomly take over the whole screen" thing, it apparently changes refresh or resolution which my cranky monitor takes as a cue to go blank until it's been power-cycled a few times, and it's getting more and more reluctant to come back.

Never_Again said: Good to see you, BTW, but where is Len? ;)

Edmonton :) We're still in touch.

Rez said:

Never? you're sure? :D I must know you by some other handle. <scratching head>

Nope, it's just been some 10 years plus and our memory is not what it used to be. <g>

Rez said:

Tho I'm a bit baffled that something so otherwise-advanced can't take a %DOOMWADDIR% from its own .cfg or via ordinary Browse, and has to take it from the environment. That's just nuts when the OS doesn't really want to let you do SET stuff. (WinXP here)

It does, in a roundabout way:
My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Enviroment Variables

While I was editing my previous post I didn't notice your reply, so here is the edit, just in case:

See this post - most of the time you don't have to bother with command lines to watch demos with prB+.

I was spozed to remember things?? <g> 10 years ago?? all I recall from those mists of time is a map called "10 years of DOOM". You can tell I have my priorities straight. :D

Oh, that's where XP hid the envars (I can't believe I'd never looked in there!! <smacks self>) ...I have noticed it refuses to accept SET in a console box. <slaps computer>

Yep, done wandered past your other info, saved for reference (assuming I can remember where I saved it), thankee kindly. You're really givin' me an urge to help make embarrassing demos. :D

Is there a way to mantain compatibilty with Boom line actions and the like but use Vanilla behavior for the monsters? Specifically I'd like to play Boom maps without archviles resurrecting stuff inside themselves.

How can I bind "turn right" to the right mouse button? My mouse buttons don't work when trying to change key bindings from within prboom-plus, and I'm not sure what to write in the config file.

WinXP SP3, identical bug in PRB+ 2.5.1.3 *and* 2.5.1.4 beta:

I've discovered something awry in the keybindings:

If the WinKey is bound (that's my strafe key, so I use it all the time!), it works for a couple minutes, but it soon kicks me out to the Windows desktop.

Well, actually the screen goes entirely blank, but from there I can alt-tab back into the game, or to any other app. (However by then usually I'm dead, since it seems to happen mostly during a firefight.)

Otherwise I use the old DOOM default keybindings.

I set the mouse to disabled, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

This is not a Windows problem; I used the exact same keybindings in Half-Life and never had this issue. But it probably hid the WinKey from Windows in the game window. Not doing that might be the problem here given that the ability to bind the WinKey goes back to DOS BOOM. (In fact it was my feature request, to save my wrists from destruction.)

====

Otherwise PRB+ feels almost identical to Fusion (my preferred engine) so I'm happy with the rest of it, tho thanks to the above I haven't had a chance to really test the new jumping feature. Now if PRB+ could add Fusion's new codepointers so it could do the same weirdassed DEH mods... :)

TimeOfDeath: I don't believe it's possible. Doom only offered a select few functions that could be bound to mouse buttons: fire, strafe, and forward (and double-click to use, which was hard-coded and non-optional). The conservative ports (Boom, MBF, PrBoom etc.) mostly kept this system rather than importing the quake-like full keybinding system which allows binding any action to any key or button.

I suspect what you really want to do is make strafe50 easier to activate, in which case I have a patch that may solve your problem.

Two-key strafe50: StrafeOn + MoveLR = strafe50

Usually to get strafe50 you must press MoveLR, TurnLR, and StrafeOn together. Pressing only MoveLR and StrafeOn merely disables turning.

With this patch, pressing MoveLR and StrafeOn gives strafe50.

Nothing else has changed. TurnLR+StrafeOn, or MoveLR by itself, gives strafe40. TurnLR+StrafeOn+MoveLR gives strafe50 - there is no benefit to pressing all three at once. StrafeOn still disables all turning until manually released: you still can't turn and strafe50 in the same tic. Nor does strafe40 silently upgrade to strafe50 when not turning.

Does this sound helpful?

Thanks RjY. You're right, it was for sr50. I don't mind moving the mouse but wanted to try out another way. Not sure how to use your patch, but I tried binding "turn right" and "strafe on" to left alt in the config file, and I don't have to move the mouse anymore in prplus or vanilla (can only sr50 to the right, though).

That's a pretty cool patch rjy. I had used the mouse movement as the turnLR part of SR50, so not having to slide my mouse around while doing it is a very nice convenience.

Is this sort of hackery considered TAS if I were to record a demo with that keybind?

imo, I think it could be, considering I assume it lets you sr50 in either direction. Without the patch you can do two-key sr50 by binding strafe on and turnR/L to the same key, but you can only sr50 in one direction, which seems like a fair trade off for using less keys.

Ribbiks said:

Is this sort of hackery considered TAS if I were to record a demo with that keybind?

I don't think it should make people think your demos are tool-assisted. Control remains manual, you don't get auto strafe50 when not turning, or anything dubious like that.

In my view it's no different in that regard to a "novert" utility; imagine a TSR (or the modern equivalent) that makes doom think you have a third key held down when you press two others.

RjY said:

In my view it's no different in that regard to a "novert" utility; imagine a TSR (or the modern equivalent) that makes doom think you have a third key held down when you press two others.

But you don't need a TSR to do that, you can just bind multiple actions to the same key in the config file.

I'm horrible with this kind of stuff..

I'm using GLBoom+ to play alien vendetta, well I want to anyway. But first I need to know how I can load the dehacked patch with AV.wad with GLBoom+. I have av.deh, av.wad, av.txt (irrelevant here), av.exe (??), and avmovfix.wad (also irrelevant).

How do I load the dehacked patch with av.wad in glboom+, or really how do i just load dehacked patches with their associated wads in GLBoom+ in general?

Ribbiks said:

-file myWad.wad -deh myDeh.deh

I actually just went into the setup area of GLBoom+ (because I couldnt figure out how to open the console) and typed in av.wad and av.deh into their respective fields under files to preload within the setup option of glboom+. It worked. Thanks though.

I hear this Alien Vendetta is supposed to be hard :|

Is there any chance that this (tl;dr part) will be fixed in foreseeable future? It works correctly in MBF.

It can be worked around by changing weapon preferences order, but it's not a very good solution.

Krivanka said:

I actually just went into the setup area of GLBoom+ (because I couldnt figure out how to open the console) and typed in av.wad and av.deh into their respective fields under files to preload within the setup option of glboom+. It worked. Thanks though.

I hear this Alien Vendetta is supposed to be hard :|

There isn't a console in this engine.

Your method works for what it is. Limits you to just two files I think though. The av.exe is for playing under Dos, so don't worry about that. The dehacked for AV however is only map names and story boards, no gameplay changes.

AV can get pretty challenging later in on skill 4.

Da Werecat said:

Is there any chance that this (tl;dr part) will be fixed in foreseeable future?

I eventually did nothing about that because any approach to fixing it gets bogged down in a wave of trying to accomodate every possible behaviour a player might desire. Which is silly, anything would be better than how it is now. :-/

Is there anyway to disable the autoloading/playing of demos ?

I just want the titlescreen to stay idle if theres no player input.
I figured it would be as easy as deleting the "demo patterns list" settings in the config but it just gets refilled whenever I start it up.

Is there any list or something out there that tells you what everything under General>Texture Options or GL Options or Surface Options do? I'm looking at things like multi-sampling and paper textures and wonder what the fuck some of these things do. I don't really want to tweak the settings that I'm unfamiliar with because I did that before and ended up having to reinstall because I fucked up my graphics and didn't know what did it. Like, what the fuck is a high quality texture resize. These features intrigue me, but I dont know what they do

Thank you!!

Krivanka said:

Is there any list or something out there that tells you what everything under General>Texture Options or GL Options or Surface Options do? I'm looking at things like multi-sampling and paper textures and wonder what the fuck some of these things do. I don't really want to tweak the settings that I'm unfamiliar with because I did that before and ended up having to reinstall because I fucked up my graphics and didn't know what did it. Like, what the fuck is a high quality texture resize. These features intrigue me, but I dont know what they do

Thank you!!

I'd like some clarification too. :)

OpenGL Options

Multisampling: smooths out edges, especially at a distance
Field of View: Affects how much peripheral vision you have. High values lead to distortion.
Sector Light Mode: Affects the way light levels are drawn. Fog Based or Shaders will give the closest values to the software render, but you might prefer other options, especially for overly dark maps.
Allow Fog: Not sure.
Simple Shadows: Draw small shadows under all things. Can look strange sometimes.

Paper Items: If mouselook is on, and paper items is off, then sprites will not change with the vertical view angle. With paper items on, sprites are essentially 2D, and will scale with the view angle. Looks good for small angles IMO but they get very thin for large angles; if looking straight down, sprites will disappear entirely.

Smooth sprite edges: affects how sprites are drawn, especially if they're scaled.
Adjust sprite clipping: affects whether to raise sprites out of the ground, based on the sprite.
Item out of floor offset: like above, but by a fixed amount.
Health bar above monsters: draws a small bar above monsters that shows their relative health.

Texture Options

Texture Filter Mode: Apply texture filtering to textures. This smooths out the pixeliness of textures, but also blurs them a bit. Different modes give you different amounts of smoothing.
Sprite Filter Mode: as above, but for sprites.
Anisotropic Filter: affects how textures etc. are drawn at a distance, avoiding aliasing patterns. wikipedia
Texture Format: not sure, I think different formats give better performance with old cards at the expense of reduced colour accuracy?

Enable High Quality Resize: allow algorithmic resizing of sprites, as per "resize textures/sprites/patches" options below.

Allow Detail Textures: don't know.
Blend Animations: For animated walls/flats, fade from one animation frame to the next.

There shouldn't be any options that would really mess up your graphics. If you don't like what you did and can't figure out how to undo it, just delete glboom-plus.cfg or prboom-plus.cfg

Is there some particular reason -longtics work with -complevel 2 but not with 9? Or was that just an oversight?

Longtics was added to PrBoom by cph who also reverse-engineered the modification for the vanilla binaries.

Boom was never edited, hacked or changed to record with long tics.