Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

gemini09 said:

I feel like Michaelangelo.

I haven't mapped in weeks, because I don't have inspiration, and I want every expanding step to be the best that I can do.

Like me, with the exception of the fact that I am not that talented of a mapper. Since time began, it was, and is my worst quality - the unsinkable will to make something very memorable from one day to another.

gemini09 said:

I haven't mapped in weeks, because I don't have inspiration, and I want every expanding step to be the best that I can do.

Try breathing exercises/meditation. Creativity/inspiration is always there - often neurotic episodes hinder the flow... same in other ares of life.

gemini09 said:

When I lose inspiration I don't map for months. It's been years since I last released anything. :/

I would also like to complain again about my complete incapability to finish a map. I don't have one ounce of stick-to-it-iveness.

I believe I've failed one half of my Doom year resolution, in that I've started a map but ultimately ended up deleting it. I imagine using speed maps to hit 100 releases might count as phoning it in, too, so in that case I've failed both halves. I ADMIT IT! I'M A FAILURE!

I also genuinely don't care, it turns out.

As it turns out, you have back-up copies of your work in order to prevent any self-destructive tendencies. There needs to be something that aims to fulfill "the objective" you set out to complete before you make such final decisions, IMHO Phobus.

Oh no, I deleted all the backups too, because I had (and maintain) no intention to finish it. Poor ideas and uninspired mapping aren't worth finishing, IMO, particularly with how much of both is already available even within my own work. To be fair, both parts of that resolution were pretty stupid, as nobody turns every brain fart into gold and the number of releases is nothing compared to the quality of them.

Face23785 said:

I would also like to complain again about my complete incapability to finish a map. I don't have one ounce of stick-to-it-iveness.

I have like 17 unfinished/halted maps altogether in the meantime. Still, I don't feel like that my work and life wouldn't worth shit.

I often noclip up lifts because I'm too impatient for it the lower and raise. I also noclip across platform obstacles if I've already crossed them previously.

I fucking hate most of doom 2's later maps ( especially Nirvana, I consider this the worst doom map of all time).

I have a bad habit of quicksaving right as a missile is about to kill me.

Count651 said:

I often noclip (...) platform obstacles if I've already crossed them previously.

That's a lot like me. Guess who will do that roundabout more than once. Those who have six mothers.

Usually, I noclip into hard to reach secret areas.

I HATE the last map on both Doom and Doom 2. I dunno, final maps on both of those games just suck in my eyes.

At a time, I thought Doom was...
gay. :o

NOT ANYMORE THOUGH.

Count651 said:

I fucking hate most of doom 2's later maps ( especially Nirvana, I consider this the worst doom map of all time).

I always wondered, what's wrong with "Nirvana"? Sure, the part with cave and toxic liquid seems not thought thouroughly, but first part is interesting with those windows to the inside--like it was inverted.

facelessdoomer said:

At a time, I thought Doom was...
gay. :o

He got really lonely out there in space, but rest assured, that imp was female!

Count651 said:

I fucking hate most of doom 2's later maps

The Chasm was too confusing for me as a kid (70% of the map is optional which really confused me back then) but I think Gotcha! and Abandoned Mines were really great maps, with a cool music track to boot.

Come to think of it, why did they repeat so many tracks so close to one another (26 and 20, 11 and 17) yet cool tracks such as on map04 and map23 only got used once? Never made any sense to me.

Doomkid said:

Come to think of it, why did they repeat so many tracks so close to one another (26 and 20, 11 and 17) yet cool tracks such as on map04 and map23 only got used once? Never made any sense to me.

I was never too fond of D_AMPIE, but I could live with it until I met Final Doom, where (and in the Pwad HR, too) it wasn't replaced. Since the track rather builds on the fact how the original MAP23 plays, I couldn't stand it. I rather assure the MAP09 and MAP25 tracks (along with the aforementioned MAP04's) to be essentially cool, yet quite unused in the original game. TNT makes a better use of the MAP04 and MAP09 tracks (see maps 21, 24 and 32), but also makes a general fault by having the same track on slots both 27 and 30. I guess TeamTNT considered the last four maps too long for this to be encountered... they were wrong.

Recently, while grinding a difficult speed run, I started to get too lazy to exit to the command prompt when I die, instead pressing "use" and playing from the beginning, assuming that I'll die again at some point anyway, and this way I'll save some time (instead of running PrBoom from the command-line again). Of course, there's always the possibility that I'll actually achieve a good exit which wouldn't count (because I die in the demo) but it hasn't happened yet.

I love everything about Vanilla Doom except auto-weapon switch on pickup. It is the only reason why I'd ever touch a source port.

joe-ilya said:
facelessdoomer said:

I HATE the last map on both Doom and Doom 2.

How can you hate E4M8?

He didn't say Ultimate Doom so I'm assuming he must've meant E3M8.

Alien Vendetta is overrated, and is not a good mapset in my opinion. The later maps are just completely lazy. I don't see what is so 'legendary' about spamming monsters all over the place.

This seems to happen even WORSE once the maps get really, really long.

EDIT: To clear any confusion, I meant the monster placement. The levels look great.

It was a quite daring statement to make, Humanity, but on the later maps thing, I'd agree. Sure I see that maps 25-28 are put quite alot of work into, but on the fact they're just getting lenghtened over and over, I kinda got flipped out of my illusion quite soon. Also, it's a nightmare to score "100% items" on any of them, especially for me who is too sensitive towards things like this.

Mrs. Nesbitt said:

I love everything about Vanilla Doom except auto-weapon switch on pickup. It is the only reason why I'd ever touch a source port.

This one is a real pain in the ass in OS deathmatch! It becomes a skill all it's own just avoiding the weapons laying around that you don't want to switch to.

Humanity said:

I don't see what is so 'legendary' about spamming monsters all over the place.

This seems to happen even WORSE once the maps get really, really long.

Visually speaking, I think every AV map is amazing, but I get what you mean with the monster spam and drawn out maps. Different strokes for different folks, but im always a fan of short & sweet. I regret over-cooking some of the maps in Revenge of the 90's.

Doomkid said:

a fan of short & sweet

To be more precise, a fan of Scythe.

^I love your username.

also, Demonic Hordes and Stench of Evil were the most grueling AV maps for me, out of the later ones.

I think Doom 2's Downtown is balls out the worst Doom 2 map. It can be some fun at Co-Op, and the fights are fun, but good god, once everything on the "streets" are dead, I suffer til the end. It's incredibly boring, and although it's the only map that resembles a city for that set of levels, it's ugly as sin.

Humanity said:

Alien Vendetta is overrated, and is not a good mapset in my opinion. The later maps are just completely lazy. I don't see what is so 'legendary' about spamming monsters all over the place.

That's nice that you think that, but you're wrong.