Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Keeper of Jericho

Five Rooms of Doom: (32/32) - now on idgames

Soundblock:

On the comments of MAP17: I'm glad you liked it despite the fact it didn't load up several textures and some monsters were unable to teleport onto their spots (nevertheless, a mechanism at the very end of the level would've killed them anyway), I intended to do that as beautiful as I can, whilst learning from my severe mistakes made back in the Hadephobia mapset (I guess the term "Cellmap" is already often used for levels nicely detailed, but severe pain in the ass to play through, especially by tight spaces that prevent you avoiding projectile attacks and item/moster placement the player always bumps into whilst dodging/trying to proceed - see maps 19 and 33). I don't know what renders the AV dead, it was alive when I've playtested it (maybe the fault is me testing with ZDoom). Anyways, I eventually feel like it was worth participating in a CP seeing reputations such as this and CorSair's.

On the comments of MAP20: somehow I can see your point, but I begged to KoJ for the slot 17 and so. I assume anyone else wouldn't mind his/her map to be replaced, but I would. Sorry for this.

I'll make sure to check out the map again once we're out of beta. Generally, I wouldn't let numerology (Team 17 fan, I wonder?) get in the way of project coherency, but its your sticking point to wield as you will, I only just joined up. The project's hanging together much better thematically than what I would have expected with so many different authors, and for the most part exit/start transitions work really well. Its expecting a lot to have an entire 32 map community wad transition without jars, especially with so many different authors and only a reductionist project description as outset. Even getting close is an achievement.

Soundblock: i'm glad you liked the "shootfest"! (yes i'm Hurricyclone) it's really nice how my map ended up in a different gameplay contrast to some of the other ones, despite being simplistic and flat. originally i wanted MAP20 as well, but this slot is fine :).

we have two sides here, and i want to thank both for the effort of playing trough the whole megawad.

Soundblock:

glad you like it, i sincerely didn't expect anyone to enjoy that much my map (since, you know, is quite unforgiving). crossair was not even thinked as an option, but i realized that one secret cannot be reached without freelook, so i am going to fix that. i may also resize the last (optional) battle.

CorSair:

looked at your demo attempt, and i could feel your pain playing trough that thing. i don't know if you ever finished it (the demo seems to be corrupted after a while), but i can assure you that a couple of things will be changed.

1) i'm going to change a couple of secrets that contained rad suit, since there are no more damanging floors.
2) rocket launcer will be moved on the 3° room to make HK easier to clear.
3) specters. there will be no more specters on the 4° room, there will be a combination of pinky and imps probably. also i think i will place a block line to prevent monsters swarming the elevator or place a medikit on top of it (or both since mancubi tends to hit you while on the elevator).

again thank you both for your time.

Hm. I managed to make saving work in demos some time ago, but dunno what I did to them. Seems I need to look manuals again. :P

As for the doing demos; I usually want to make them quick, trying to show everything I can and making it entertaining for authors. Attempt to combine these results always in some form of chaos, gnawing my teeth when I realize it starts repeat when dying and taking too much time, or I do stupid decisions when it starts feel boring.

As for the map, I think it is pretty good in looks, but goddamn those hitscanners in first area. Getting pelted all around, made me annoyed, and infuriated, to be honest. (Guess red flashing does that to me? :P) Blue armor would be lot more beneficial in that area, or give green armor right near starting area. As for spectres in that ledge, it would be better not let them near the elevator to avoid them chomping me instantly. But I would keep them there, in UV at least. Or combine spectres and pinkies. Just my cents here.

Two plays more:

- Map 24. I just beat my first slaughtermap! I've seen them played on YouTube and thought they looked interesting but never actually fired one up before. Fun, energetic stuff, the old rules of no more than handful of cybos are thrown out the window, to good effect.
I actually feel like I'm in some boiling cauldron of hell in his map, instead of at the outlying edges thereof, which is usually the case. Good portioning of items, I died quite a lot, and tried to be careful with the powerup depots, which just lasted me to the end. One question; does the yellow key do anything? I found a lone denizen in there, backtracking after having reached the exit. 30 frantic minutes of gameplay. Being serial-juggled mile-high in the air by packs of archies was unexpected and thrilling, and probably the hardest part of the map.

- Map 25. I immediately like the moody green brick courtyard, with proper ramparts. Feels like a proper keep though it completely dematerialises as you leave the wall. Weird and helly. However, the cross-beamed wood-structure shows HOM underneath it when you climb the blue armor stairs, as does the underside of the switches by the 2 floating archviles. Not a game-breaker, but would be nice with a fix. Nice telefrag puzzle! (by the time I had solved it I had come to realize that the Doom teleport-noise is an ocean wave beating on shore, and that the Baron's death roar most likely is the sound of a dragracer engine) Though I figured the logic of the first puzzle after a while, the second one was more or less just trial and error until I got where I needed to go. The third puzzle initially feels too punishing in that it threw me out before I could get orientated and realize there's a path to follow. Ends up being a load-loop here, most likely, since I owuld have had to solve puzzle 2 again to gain entry to 3. Might be better to leave the player inside the third puzzle once he's there, and make the exit gate a bit harder to trigger involuntarily. Perhaps just trigger the backmost line of the gate instead of the closest one?). Fun stuff btw, partially puzzles 1 and 3. First time I've played a puzzles like that in a loong while, good to see Doom still has trick up sleeve. :) The marble and green tiled pyramid could probably do with another texture choice, as from a distance its got the signature look of the gray/white missing texture pattern. This puzzler was a nice change of pace from the slaughter-play and expands the variation of the megawad.

EDIT: Was my soundcard acting up, or did the at first really subtle ambient music in map 24 change into more upbeat towards the end? It was really cool, but I was so surprised by it that I'm not sure if it was the midi acting up. 1st time I've encountered this...

Soundblock said:

Generally, I wouldn't let numerology (Team 17 fan, I wonder?) get in the way of project coherency(...)

Well, it must be overtaken this time. Slot 17 was booked.

ForeverViLe said:

I've built the map almost 2 years ago :D
I wanted the yellow key to trigger something but I probably forgot, oh well at least there's one cybie behind the yellow door so the key affects the monster count I guess.
If I'm not mistaken I wanted it to teleport like 80 or 100 cacodemons and 20 pain elementals and another group of arch viles to cause some extra troubles but I didn't do it because one time was painful and frustrating enough I suppose.

How about putting a pick-up in there, in case the player managed to run out? May I suggest the armor and a berserker pack?

Cell said:

Well, it must be overtaken this time. Slot 17 was booked.

Reading through the thread earlier, I saw you had made this condition about mapslots before you produced the map. Still, I set out to try and find seventeen reasons about change, to convince you to swap slots. I fell a bit short of my goal and only found twelve really good ones. Oh well, I thought I'd share them anyway. I do know quoting is just borrowed authority, and really hope I don't come across as being overtly confrontational. I'd rather have Map 17 in its current slot than start an argument about moving it that would lead to the project being a (star) map short. Having said that:

“In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable.”
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

“The life of every man is a diary in which he means to write one story, and writes another; and his humblest hour is when he compares the volume as it is with what he vowed to make it.”
- J.M. Barrie, The Little Minister

“Read it with sorrow and you will feel hate.
Read it with anger and you will feel vengeful.
Read it with paranoia and you will feel confusion.
Read it with empathy and you will feel compassion.
Read it with love and you will feel flattery.
Read it with hope and you will feel positive.
Read it with humor and you will feel joy.
Read it with God and you will feel the truth.
Read it without bias and you will feel peace.
Don't read it at all and you will not feel a thing.”
- Shannon L. Alder

“The best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley.”
- Robert Burns, The Works of Robert Burns

“All human plans [are] subject to ruthless revision by Nature, or Fate, or whatever one preferred to call the powers behind the Universe.”
- Arthur C. Clarke, 2010: Odyssey Two

“When someone you love says goodbye you can stare long and hard at the door they closed and forget to see all the doors God has open in front of you.”
- Shannon L. Alder

“Don't let your plans or goals become more important than yourself, or the ones you care about!”
- José N. Harris, MI VIDA: A Story of Faith, Hope and Love

“That's a horrible plan."
"Yes, but I have chosen to ignore that.”
- Christopher Moore, Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art

“As time went on, we learned to arm ourselves in our different ways. Some of us with real guns, some of us with more ephemeral weapons, an idea or improbable plan or some sort of formulation about how best to move through the world. An idea that will let us be. Protect us and keep us safe. But a weapon nonetheless.”
- Colson Whitehead, Sag Harbor

"The general who wins a battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses a battle makes but few calculations beforehand. Thus do many calculations lead to victory, and few calculations to defeat; how much more no calculation at all!"
- Sun Tzu, Art of War

"Let him that would move the world first move himself."
- Socrates (according to Plato)

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

---

I also played couple of more maps. Here's my rundown on 26 and 27:

- Map 26. Nice mancubus opener, sidestrafing at full tilt to get by. You really have to work for your ammo portions on this one - good stuff.
A stark and really solid looking abode is only marred by some misalignments, mostly just the windowsills. By all means keep the baronfaces, but perhaps avoid repeat-tiling them vertically?
Shockingly hard archvile battle in the interior. Can all the switches on the multiswitch pillar be made S1 instead a couple bing SR, so you can tell offhand which one you've pulled? 35 mins to beat the map and total playtime for the megawad so far just passed 10 hours in the interim.

- Map 27. Wow, looks like the caking magma is creeping down the distant walls on this one, really great subterra! I felt somehwere in the middle of a WWI trench fighter and a mountain guerilla playing through this. The revenant missiles keep sneaking up from behind, they're like little stalkers on this map. A small cluster of HOMs on the lower side of a gray raised rock out of the lava, in the northeastern corner of the map, facing away from the center of the map. You can see them if you stand on the teleporter out of the lava and face towards center. First map to show any signs of framerate drop - wall to wall that's obviously a lot of two-sided linedefs...
The final exit though? Great! I had no idea that could be achieved (without any scripting I suppose?). Been wanting that ability many many a time while planning episodes. Apprehending Map 28 with a bit more nervousness now...

Soundblock said:

I'd rather have Map 17 in its current slot (...)

You said. Argument locked.

Ignoring the back-and-forth on map slots, I've touched my map up some.

• Tried to tighten up the ammo a bit (significantly cut down the number of rockets, for instance). I may have overcorrected, since I find myself running a bit low by the time I'm opening the blue key door when I do a pistol start, but I'm not sure. Didn't really touch the final room's ammo, though.
  • Also completely redid the monster placement outside of the blue-key-locked building; instead of having tons of monsters literally pop up in your face when you cross over certain linedefs, I focused more on a few enemies doing the more-traditional teleporting-in or ambushing you from afar.
  • Didn't change up the enemies around the yellow-key-locked building too much. The ones inside the individual corners of the room still pop up instantly as you walk inside. The fights outside of the building, however, now pop up when you walk onto the lift instead of when you walk off of it. Basically, you ride the lift up and are greeted by monsters, as opposed to riding the lift up to be greeted with nothing, only to have the monsters instantly pop up as you're walking toward the next lift; a lot more aesthetically pleasing, I think.
  • Lastly, I changed the sky of the red-key-locked room to SKY3 (although that's simple enough to undo should the need arise), changed the Xs at the end into 🚫s (which should hopefully make it a little more obvious what I was trying to convey there), and made the Spider Mastermind room non-secret.

joe-ilya said:

No it isn't, it almost always gives you two patches to go, sometimes even 3!(The castle entrance and the lift) and there are even bonus places that you can go to if you want.(SSG, LS alcove, chaingun alcove)

I missed this comment the first time around, my bad! Calling your map straightforward I was referring to its toughness, as in a straightforward challenge, and I certainly didn't intend to accuse you of making an "on rails" map, which you didn't. My apologies for being unclear.

On to the climax of my beta experience:

- Map 28. Fabulous mystic keep entrance of great proportions, shriekingly sporting those blues and reds we know so well from the Doom palette. I got my two guns and went for the portal opposite the triple-keyed gate. Loving the fact I had a choice on where to one-way journey. Sneaky archies abound, I don't know where they kept disappearing to, as they kept doing it out of sight, but I eventually managed to corner and dispose of them all, braving the impclad hillsides beyond. Found two texture-glitches in the form of mid-textures drawing into the floor, either side of the entrance to the cyberdemon's lair in this region (top right map corner). Didn't have the health/ammo to fight this guy, and was thus kept on my toes by his distant stomps and odd backdrop cameo as I finished up the red key hunt. Bar his cave, I didn't seem to find a single item of health in the entire red key section? Surely some stimpacks dotted throughout, at least on easier settings? I escaped with 2% health and said cybo on the loose.
On the whole, things have really gotten a lot more complex for solving each map since the lightweight puzzles of the first leg of the wad. The doors in this map don't come for free.
The yellow key area didn't feel quite as tight as the red (didn't lock me in after entry, for one), but fighting to get back control of the harbour area was a great fight. The lava there doesn't tick health though.
First impression of the leap-of-faith puzzle in the blue area was great, especially how it at the start doesn't allow you to skive on cleaning up the end of the yellow key moat. But for this puzzle to retain the funfactor built up so far throughout its own duration, it really needs a hint system of sorts to not become a lottery-chances puzzle that eventually dwindles towards frustration. Some obscure map markings perhaps? A change in floor texture, or a candle placed on the tiles where a turn is necessary? As it is, the methodical way that I find to cross this puzzled path is to save every single step of the way, and after a few dozen tiles that breaks immersion. Still, this has the makings of a unique and fun puzzle, once you understand the logic of it (I was trying to climb around that marble block to begin with). I think a 50/50 chance to make the right or wrong decision once the steps change direction would be fine, but as it stands, I needed to apply "save-scumming" tactics to reach the end of it. Out of the 26 turns I counted in this puzzle, I successfully predicted only one - so I felt a bit frustrated at the end. Falling off the pillars and doing quick load/save reloads was the first time in the playthrough that I resolved to using the idkey cheatcodes, as I managed to save my game just after having attained enough momentum to slip off the edge into the inescapable blackness. I had a previous savegame on the same map, but it precluded this puzzle, so I opted for idclipping back up rather than solving the puzzle again from the start. I know its the third to last map, but still beg for a hint system here. In the final room I fell to the floor of the pitch black without taking any damage and finding no way back up.
This is a map just a few spits and polishes short of being superb. Appropriately placed towards the end of the episode.

- Map 29. Texture pegging on the initial lift-switch, plus two candles are too close to the elevator's edge, and thus snap on sector movement. I've never crowd-surfed on a horde of imps to get out of a mess before, that was crazy fun. Great black castle, clearly this map is one of the capitols of hell, where I'm doing battle against impossible odds... and winning! The map has overpowering scenarios that open up with a bit of work. Good and orderly slaughterstyle gameplay with more specific powerup portioning than the previous slaughterfest.
The secret door in the brightly green/blue decorated atrium has no low-peg on the doortrack textures, AND it locks you in if you don't exit by the time the door closes. If the decorative rows of blue keys count towards item% and there's no way to get to them, it would be best if there was a way to reach them... Also, there's HOM and peel-pegging on the obscure door to the immediate right once you enter the hall beyond the blue gate (leads to the secret up the stairs). The body in that doorway is also left in an unexplainable stance after you've opened the door, floating mid air.
The map requires strafe-running to get to the blue key, which I generally don't approve of, but I guess might be ok for a level 29 map? I like to put in alternate access routes myself, if strafe-running leads anywhere particular. This is a _very_ tough strafe jump, and I could only do it three times in about 50-60 tries. Suggest decreasing the jump distance by a couple of texels.
The secret area with the fast moving river of blood and moving pillars could use a strip of mid-textures towards the pre-yellow key area, in order to help explain why you can't jump down from the pillars and back to safety, once you're on them.
The lava granting megasphere after the secret chaingunner pillar runs is no-hurt.
In front of the red key holding area, a way out again of the lava pool would be nice. How about lowering the redrock lip rim if you press on it?
In front of the puzzle to get the red key, this is the first map where I had to concede to looking under the hood of the wad in DoomBuilder before I could proceed. I had ran, pushed and gunned on everything in sight, spending a good half hour in said room, and after an hour and twenty minutes on the map clock I felt like enough.
It had occurred to me that the row of panels in the area where the red key puzzle is activated might be my missing link to the red key, but after spraying the walls in there (and everywhere else) with chaingun and seeing no effect on the bars blocking the way, a sneaky (yet ultimately erroneous) suspicion of the wad being at fault started creeping in. So I resorted to checking the linedef tags. Not what I'd like to do, but its a beta after all. IMO the existence of this puzzle's opening move needs to be made clearer, and once you open it and hell breaks loose, this further heightens the need for a way out of the lava pool here. I suggest either making in-world hints, like a gun-slot in the mid-fence facing directly opposite the first multi-shootable plate, and/or in mapview (preferably both), to visually mark the areas behind the shootable spots, perhaps with a pentagram, a "broken glass" square, a muzzle-flash icon or the like.
Something that would stand out in mapview, once the player starts zooming around to look for ways out. If you include both these hints or their equivalents, it'll still be a very hard puzzle to locate the opening move to.
A seriously cool map that IMO trips up its fun factor by making the start of its final puzzle too obscure to find.

- Map 30. Finally, the chainsaw! (not that I've missed it, or found any use for it) First impression on the 2nd and main room: B.I.G!
However, in order to win playing paladin-style (original Doom controls only), there doesn't seem like there's a way to get on eye-level with the immediately visible icon-of-sin, nor anything other than adherence to old-school'ness to stop the player from immediately using freelook to win (which quite frankly is way too easy, after the hell I just trudged through).
Looking at the mapview (and avoiding the opening of an editor), I could find no activation-lines for me to use, so my suspicion is that there is no way up there?
Since the finish is easily rogued, and my cheat-bubble has already been fractured by map 28, downright busted by map 29, my motivation for spending a long time to find out how to win this map the original way, wanes quickly at this point.
The map seems too populated to conquer from the outset, and the icon(s) are immediately increasing population as I'm unsuccessfully looking for a way to beat them fairly.
The level looks nice though, the proportions and the ball in the sky are epic stuff, if a bit of a stretch for the engine, but I was hoping to be able to finish this quest the way I started - on my feet, not cheating and not having to rely on anything but the game's original controls to do so.
Also, playing singleplayer I can find no trace of the hallmark 5-room setup that's been beautifully stuck to (some places tighter than others) throughout the megawad.
Going into the final map of 5 Rooms of Doom, I was really hoping for a finale that would use the 5-room format in some hallmark way to conclude itself, but instead there's a rather DoomII formulaic finish, even if a very large one.
The pressure of difficulty and complexity has really built up towards this one, so I think its not unnatural to expect a fantastic finish.
In order to achieve this, I suggest supplanting the currently employed rooms 3-5 (which at current seem just multiplayer-spawning copies of room 1) and instead creating a gradually elevating path towards a vantage point that would allow level-headed, non free-aiming dependent firing at the end-of-mega boss.
Final tally: 13 hours 11 minutes 08 seconds.

I didn't find the secret maps by playing chronologically. I might warp in and try to pistol them later.

Anyhow - that's my beta 1 playthrough for you - I'm honored to have parttaken in an exciting, inventive if rocky-roaded megawad that upon actually playing it has gone well beyond my initial expectations.

Soundblock said:

I know its the third to last map, but still beg for a hint system here. In the final room I fell to the floor of the pitch black without taking any damage and finding no way back up.

There is a hint system. On that area you teleport in, there is a shootable switch that lowers certain wall portion of that structure and shows you the amount of steps and the directions you need, dunno the order, left to right or the opposite.

Besides, that map is very first map I've released. And to add salt to the wound, I think it is the first beta I sent back at the day. :D

If you want, you might wanna test the new map I have few posts back. It is finished in layout and detail sense, but I don't think I got the gameplay correctly here (but it is still playable.)

CorSair said:

There is a hint system. On that area you teleport in, there is a shootable switch that lowers certain wall portion of that structure and shows you the amount of steps and the directions you need, dunno the order, left to right or the opposite.

Besides, that map is very first map I've released. And to add salt to the wound, I think it is the first beta I sent back at the day. :D

If you want, you might wanna test the new map I have few posts back. It is finished in layout and detail sense, but I don't think I got the gameplay correctly here (but it is still playable.)

Ah, I see. I still don't think a per-turn hint on each location would be a bad idea, in case those blueprints behind this shootswitch are missed... And haha, I've had my filling of playing 5 Rooms for a while, so I'll to pass on further beta testing. :-)

Its nice to have played through a set that's the same number as the original game though. And now I know that I contributed to a working game experience, which is nice. Also, I can playbalance my map to fit better into the set, but I'll likely wait a few days. For my Doom play portioning, I pretty much just downed the equivalent of a full bottle of Tequila.

update of map 21 https://www.mediafire.com/?vp0u3l2yuke2slo

soundblock: actually you can beat the level (map 30) without freelook, but i made the activation method way too much cryptic (you had to step on the marbface platforms inside the pentagram).

i'm not too satisfied or proud of this map, since it has a lot more problems that it should have... let's see what i can pull of the hat for this one.

Thanks for all the beta-testing, soundblock, and everyone else for their map-fixing. Haven't been sitting idle in the meantime, either. I've worked on a DEH-patch so that map names will show on the map even in Boom ports, together with making sure the map names will show up on the intermission screen in those ports as well. Speaking of intermission screens, I made a new one for the wad and I must say I quite like it! Hope everyone else will, too.

Third beta will be out once I've added the updated version of the maps I've been supplied with and have done the final changes to the DEH patch. I think after that we'll be nearing final release and the completion of this project.

Keeper of Jericho said:

Thanks for all the beta-testing, soundblock, and everyone else for their map-fixing. Haven't been sitting idle in the meantime, either. I've worked on a DEH-patch so that map names will show on the map even in Boom ports, together with making sure the map names will show up on the intermission screen in those ports as well. Speaking of intermission screens, I made a new one for the wad and I must say I quite like it! Hope everyone else will, too.

Third beta will be out once I've added the updated version of the maps I've been supplied with and have done the final changes to the DEH patch. I think after that we'll be nearing final release and the completion of this project.

Welcome. Btw Keeper, do you have the facilities to replace the intermission texts that are interspersed throughout the 32 levels? (6, 11, 20, 30) If so, I could pitch some text replacements for you, if you think that would be preferable to the default texts. Playing the wad, like with most wads, one gets the sense of a parallel story to that of Doom II. Like someone that wakes up after the original fray, to find an even bigger mess, or their own personal hell. I wouldn't want to try and weave the narrative into the existing canon of Doom, but some first-person text to reflect on the journey might lift the experience. That is, unless someone objects to messing with the original lines - even if they don't fit the current map progression perfectly they might be preferable to a story the contributors aren't happy with. Just a thought - thought I'd ask.

Keeper of Jericho said:

And make sure its a .zip file. Looking forward to playing it.

Keeper of Jericho said:

Wouldn't do bad if already.

Can we get a regular download instead of the damn rar file. I struggle to find a good decompressor and usually they're like a 30 day free trial.

Ashstrodamus said:

Can we get a regular download instead of the damn rar file. I struggle to find a good decompressor and usually they're like a 30 day free trial.

Use WinRAR. It will only complain after the deadline, but won't do shit.

Ashstrodamus said:

http://www.7-zip.org/

opensource, freeware, opens tons of formats.

I'd really love to hear read "THIRD BETA RELEASED" or so already.

Guys, I'm having trouble with Map07 in Zdoom 2.8pre-417. The 666 tag sector just doesn't work, no matter how careful I'm when killing the fatsos. It never comes down, so I can't grab the yellow key. The 667 tag for arachnotrons doesn't work, either.

And when I wanted to test this in latest Zdaemon, I got SC_GetFloat: Bad numeric constant "cluster". Script MAPINFO, Line 5.

I know Zdaemon is pretty weak when it comes to Decorate, but this is ridiculous...

Well it's been an entire year since I last posted here, but I looked at some of the feedback for my map and made some minor changes. I decided to add more health and make it more obvious as to when the exit triggers. Also made the yellow key a bit more easier to see by raising the platform.

Also, to avoid any misunderstandings, the map I'm submitting for is MAP21 not MAP23. My previous slot was MAP23 but I noticed I was moved down to MAP21.

https://www.mediafire.com/?zap7ldxwl0k8e8r