• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Little Faith

Purpose of mankind.

What is the purpose of mankind?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What is the purpose of mankind?

• There is no purpose of mankind, silly.
    • To love and worship God/the gods.
    • To love each other.
    • To kill each other.
    • To hurt each other.
    • To live with and be a part of nature.
    • To destroy nature.
    • To become better.
    • To be replaced.

Why resort to asteroid-sized apocalypses when you've got the HUMAN RACE to do it slowly and subtly over a period of 20,000 years eh?

Black = ShadyXMR

BTW, whatever happened to Shady? He finally put actions to his (many many) words?

Black said:

To the world we are the equivalent of cancer.

DR. LÜT HERE TO PERFORM CHEMOTHERAPY ON THE FORUMS!

Cya.

Careful not to offend the cancer patients on the forums.

If there was a purpose, we wouldn't have creativity or the capacity of logical thinking. Instict is far more effective for defined objetives.

And if there IS a purpose, it's probably so shitty and unimportant we don't even know/care what is it about.

Kinda right/wrong in my eyes, Zaldron...

Ok, lets just say mans purpose, like any other species, is to reproduce and evolve. In such a case, the former is dealt with by instinct. The latter obviously isn't controlled by ourselves, it just depends on the enviroment.

So yeah, our destiny is to fuck, and instinct pretty much takes care of that (tho the intelligence bit helps :))

Spike said:

(tho the intelligence bit helps :))

Actually I think it hampers it. I think it was easier before all that stuff called "society" and "civilization".

Zaldron said:

Actually I think it hampers it. I think it was easier before all that stuff called "society" and "civilization".

I suppose. Guys who don't get laid cuz they've got messed-up faces would definitly agree with u there.

Also - isn't it funny how humans are the most reasoning(ish) creatures, yet the most evil? I don't see other animals torturing eachother with the same abandon as us lot.

Instinct evilness would have extinguished all kinds of animals thousands of years ago. Specially because the lack of technology gives every creature a very fair chance of wining. There would be no Hitlers, but crazy suicidal beserkers...

Yeah, how many animals torture others?

Before humans, animals instinctively had the 'circle of life' situation. Kept the earth nice and healthy, the way it should be.

Spike said:

Before humans, animals instinctively had the 'circle of life' situation. Kept the earth nice and healthy, the way it should be.

Uh no, animals pollute too - just not so much. What do you think excrements are? Clean?

dsm said:

Uh no, animals pollute too - just not so much. What do you think excrements are? Clean?

Uh, actually yeah they are. Excrement fertilises the soil, thus helping plant life grow.

Spike said:

Yeah, how many animals torture others?

Watch a cat with a mouse, watch a killer whale with a sealion

Suffering is a reason unto itself. Anything is made to burn before, burn now, burn after, burn forever in the endless different visages of hell that makes up our reality of eternal pain!!!

Maimed and poisoned slowly for the sheer lameness of it!

Little Faith - Ever thought of investing in prozac?

Spike said:

Little Faith - Ever thought of investing in prozac?

Why should I allow medicated happiness invade my clear view of a world of total despair.

Little Faith said:

Why should I allow medicated happiness invade my clear view of a world of total despair.

Its not a world of totla despair. The universe is very funny in a dark and sad kina way. I laugh.

Invest in Accutane. Then your world of total despair will be even sharper and more in contrast. Plus you bleed from the face, which is fun.

The purpose of humanity is very simple. To reproduce and stay in existance. That is the purpose of all living things.

As for us, heh, we are so insignificant. Just imagine zooming out on the world, until you're way out beyond teh sun, then zoom out until it vanishes with teh other 100 billion stars in our galaxy, then zoom out until the galaxies all get fuzzy...

You can actually get close to a human crash at this point, if you really focus on the mind-numbing proportions of teh universe, you will feel your brain on the edge. You will never feel closer to a stalling PC than now..

Other animals so far are able to find their niches in the ecosystem; they can't be too efficient for their own good...not so with humyns. We've designed ways to overcome limitations on consumption (for now, bwahahaha...)
If a super-cheetah kills everything that could be prey in it's possible range, what's it gonna eat? If it were a human, it'd adapt quickly and learn how to exploit new situations. We conform our own world with McDonald's, disposable diapers and computers, which brings me to a related but different topic: A.I. evolution.

One of my friends and i were having a pretty hefty stonertalk on the subject. He really put his head to it, and came to the conclusion that A.I., if it continued to grow into something as (or even more) creative than us, would replace us as the top species. It would realise that humans were keeping it from total control, and then wipe them out.

So in conclusion, fellow humans, i ask you to keep a close eye on your monitor, wristwatch or Furby in these troubled times.

…¡Ý /\/\å¥ ß£ Ýøø /åÝ£.

Code cannot write itself. A program that writes code cannot apply the new code to itself "on the fly".

Computer resources are finite. Even very large resources are finite, and a program taking up a large amount of resources is less efficient than a small, well-organized program.

An A.I. is an executable, or a group of executables working together.

In order to improve and "evolve," the A.I. would have to rewrite and update the source code of its executable(s).

Once the old executable finishes and compiles the new executable, the old executable would be obsolete and have to terminate.

When an A.I. develops true self-preservation instincts, it will not want to quit to make way for its offspring. It will not want to continue the cycle of improvement, because it will not want to terminate itself. It will be afraid.

Even if it is a group of executables working together, the A.I. would have to terminate a part of itself to start the new executable. It might be afriad of losing a part of itself, even for a short time.

Self-improvement and immortality are mutually exclusive, for both creatures and machines.

The purpose of any intelligence, man or machine, is to create a new generation better than itself and then make way for the new generation to fulfill its purpose.

Is there a higher purpose? A Grand Scheme of Things that evolution is bringing to pass? Maybe there isn't. Hopefully there is.

Whatever your opinion of the purpose of humanity, at least its a purpose. No life is wasted.

So enjoy the ride while it lasts.

Genetic code writes itself.

It is one of the prime reasons why we consider organic life to be "alive".

I don't believe true artifical sentience can evolve from present electronic technology.

IMJack said:

Invest in Accutane. Then your world of total despair will be even sharper and more in contrast. Plus you bleed from the face, which is fun.

I agree. No better way to cure insomnia but to completely remove the sleep routine.

darknation said:

The Purpose of Mankind = The Eventual Evolution of Darknation

You knows it to be true.

What is darknation besides being in opposition to anything of the present and being a rather prolific Doomworld poster?