Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Andy Olivera

The DooMed Speed Demos Archive returns!

My Scythe demos from this post didn't get uploaded.

Also, for DoomJr maps 17 and 18, all runs should be Pacifist, as the level don't have any monsters by default.

Never_Again said:

One demo in the latest update desyncs on the /idgames copy of the WAD. The WAD in question is Indifference. The author of the demo has been emailed.

It works with the version of indifference.wad found here.

My 30minmap map 02 UV-Max is an indirect max, which I think should be added as a comment (otherwise it's weird that the max is slower than the Tyson by almost 2 and a half minutes :) ).

So, what you think about Zero-Master who appears out of nowhere, introduces himself nicely, beats existing Pl speed records by a big margin, then "will probably try to enjoy some casual playthroughs of other wads as well"??

Just asking out of astonishment. Nothing wrong with no publishing your speedruns until you get something out of this world. But this is obviously something you don't see every week.

I haven't watched it yet, but from reading the text file, it seems kind of odd that someone who is new to speed running would be able to get such an incredible time in one of the hardest games out there so quickly.

Cyberdemon531 said:

I haven't watched it yet, but from reading the text file, it seems kind of odd that someone who is new to speed running would be able to get such an incredible time in one of the hardest games out there so quickly.

True, but just because he is new does not automatically categorise a new player as not being able to beat other demos. You forgot to take into account that this guy may have speedruns of other games and he's probably played Doom/practiced speedrunning a lot longer than you think. Take Okuplok for example, although people thought he cheated (later proven wrong), he was yet another player out of the blue who was great. Player's can publish great first demos. VDGG has a valid point though, it is over a minute off of Dime's time. Edit: Meant over a minute, not almost a minute.

I guess all that streaming does wonders in introducing new players to doom. There's also some guy out of nowhere who beat all 1024cla2 maxes and all seem to be pretty solid runs.

Yeah, this seems to be the consequence of Dime's intensive streaming and Doom's repeated presence at xGDQ events. Many of the new guys are fairly skilled speedrunners of different games, so they're familiar with grinding and general optimization tactics. They're also adept copycats, so they quickly pick up the necessary moves and tricks from streams and demos. Polishing a run with an established route is what they might naturally cut their teeth on, because finding more efficient routes, especially in maxes, takes a lot of familiarity with the game.

It's actually pretty good for the dwindling competitive element of Doom's speedrunning. Most of us are drowning in the vast PWAD ocean, rarely recording on the same maps anymore. Breaking new grounds, showing off improvisation or extravagant skills seem to be more popular here at the moment. Also the SDA crowds seem to gravitate towards 30uv/episodic speeds while most of the regulars tend to go for individual maps AND maxes. Opening Doom towards the global speedrunning community can only be good for everyone.

As far as the new record goes, I haven't seen it yet (am at work, ack!), but a quick look at it in hexa shows it really is a CNDoom demo. The obfuscated demo format and the (assumed) lack of cheating tools for it should be enough to dispell the accusations, at least until you show me something really fishy besides "he's too new for this". Also this is a totally different case than Okuplok's, who wasn't a newb at all.

Lol all this talk of new guys cleaning up. Not everybody who is new sucks as bad as I did in 2010.. and not everybody who is new sucks as bad as I do now. :P

Incase anyone is actually worried it's fake there's also the 27:19 done in chocolate doom, I would imagine it would be more impressive to cheat in two different source ports than to get a good plutonia exit. Also I was thinking about picking up some streaming, but I'm a bit lazy about that.

Anyways, I am indeed new to speedrunning, and I'd say I've done a playthrough of doom 1-2 atleast 15 years ago, and then again around 5 years ago. And the last year a playthrough of plutonia and tnt before the last 2 months of lots of plutonia runs. But I'm not exactly new to playing computer games ^^

I still really want to see plutonia go below 25 minutes, as sub 24 just got to be impossible. I've had other decent runs that would go sub 26, and it feels like most of the RNG is in the early maps. Once you get past the archvile on neurosphere it feels like the run is now all in your hands with cyber demon on map 24 being only exception, even if he hits you the only problem should be low health on map 26.

As for places to improve my run I should just reset if I get 1:10+ on map 4, I could probably save almost 10 seconds on map 5-6. On map 9 it is possible to save another 10 seconds, I lost too much time leading up to the glide. On map 12 I could perhaps try to go for a different strategy which should take 15 seconds, or save 10 seconds compared to if I do my current strat correctly. However it works like 10% of the time, and maybe 20% of the time you'll get 0:25 anyways, so ending 7\10 runs here to try to save 10 seconds would be too much, I don't think I can improve my chances either. Some more plasma ammo on tombstone (missed 40 ammo on map 21) could help bring the time down to 1:45 and I should get a quicker archvile jump on map 24. Then there's the obvious 15 + 10 seconds on the last 2 maps. Of course there are a lot of places were timed can be saved, but the ones I mentioned are to me the most simple ones.

I would expect there to be a good chance to lose time on the first 2 arch vile jumps, they can both cost 10 seconds each or more often end runs. Also I had an amazing map 3, I don't like the idea of doing reset after getting a bad time on this map as well, getting through the first 4 maps is painful enough already. So with some more reset early on and a couple of improvements somewhere it should be enough to get sub 25:00, but I will spend less time on plutonia now that I have a decent time.

Most of my time playing doom from now will probably be spent on other wads, I also want to move on to doom 2 at some point, either 23:25 UV or 29:39 NM would be ridiculously hard to beat, I'd like to give one of them a try, but would require a lot of time and unlikely I'll ever get close. I really enjoy just studying the run itself, figuring out what works best for me for just about each corner of the game, then seeing it all come together for complete run.

Either way, 25:23 is an amazing time. Yes, it certainly shocked a few people but as I stated; first upload does not mean a shit first upload. I will be looking forward to watching it. I was planning a couple of movies myself, but I neither have the time nor patience to be spending ages on something.

First of all, 2 months is a lot of time if you are grinding attempts. Secondly, you are vastly underestimating how important the gliding methods are that zeromaster010 uses. I've tested it out and for the most part it's extremely consistent (Still working on why and why not the map 3 + 9 glides work sometimes). This gives you the opportunity to push so many more attempts out of episode 1.

Im even going to assume that the onslaught trick where you go through the window is done in a more reliable way by zeromaster.

vdgg said:

So, what you think about Zero-Master who appears out of nowhere, introduces himself nicely, beats existing Pl speed records by a big margin, then "will probably try to enjoy some casual playthroughs of other wads as well"??

well yes. glides, rocket jumps, excellent shortcut and timesaver readings, good monster behaviour forecast
he looks rather experienced instead :p

Congratulations on the run zero. Nice to see 30pl get more demos, especially from a new player. Really loved some of the strategies you used, particularly map12 and map15 come to mind. And I already thought getting under 27 was crazy, haha.

Dime said:

Still working on why and why not the map 3 + 9 glides work sometime

I just went to reply editor to figure out how this worked. Apparently GF1 tics don't do anything when facing south against a perpendicular wall so when you are in the gliding position in say map09 you need at least two movement (GF2) to get closer to the gap. Strafing with mouse makes this easy because mouse strafe tics are always a multiplier of 2, so instead of doing GF1 to rech the gap you do SR2 or SL2 to reach it. Ofc if you can get it consistent with just vertical movement that doesn't matter. Probably need slightly bigger moves in the beginning since you can be in the glide position while still being relatively far from the gap and it'll take ages to reach it with just SR2/GF2 tics. I should probably necro that glide thread... and also have figured this out earlier.

edit: As far as why it doesn't always work, it's very easy to go past the gap. When at one fraction of a map unit from the gap, even a GF4 tic is too much and you go past it. GF3 seemed to work though. That makes the mouse strafing method kinda bad afterall since there's less leeway.