Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Tarkus

Blast from the past...

Since I've restarted my fixation on DooM a week ago or so, I've decided to go looking through all of my old disks from when I used to make levels. I found a few disks with Wads on them, but they were all corrupt. I did however find one WAD that was in a different box that wasn't corrupt. Hooray!

Now let me tell you of my dooming days... I used to buy walnut creek CD-ROMs with doom levels and editors on them. I had no access to the internet at the time so I had no way to distribute my levels. I wanted desperately for somebody to review my levels since I read through each and every review on the CDs. So today I decided to take the old dusty Deathmatch Wad and make it live once more. I renamed the entry, the textures and changed the doors over to Doom2 style when a crappy Doom2 editor came out back in '95... other than that, it's perfectly original and is still very Doom1'ish.

here's a link to the WAD
http://sa-rpg.aslplz.com/doommap/tarkdmb.zip

Would anyone be kind enough to give it soul crushing (honest) review of the WAD? You'd make an old doomer very happy :D. And yes, I know it's a strange request...

BTW, I set up a zdaemon server with this map running if you want to try it there... It's called Tarkus' server...

Pretty creative map. Good e1 theme and decent architecture. It might be a bit large for 2 players, but it would probably work well for 4 players. Good thing placement for some run-around-the-house-and-shoot-some-duck action. It lacks the deeper level of 1on1 duel capability though, but so does most maps.

I thought it was a pretty good map. Some of the corridors were a bit smallish (the green one) but hey nothing is perfect. A bit more ammo would have helped too in DM, but otherwise I thought it was cool. I'll have too give it a go against my friend sometime.

Tarkus said:

Now let me tell you of my dooming days... I used to buy walnut creek CD-ROMs with doom levels and editors on them. I had no access to the internet at the time so I had no way to distribute my levels.

Oh man, i know exactly what you mean! Back in 1995-ish, i created a couple of maps for UD and DII, full of marble temples and containment area-type rooms (look at map01 of the Underworld megawad to see what i mean - angelfire.com/goth/roomontheleft/Underworld.zip ).

Unfortunatly, after five or six years of reformats and upgrades, all my old stuff has been lost. Like you, i had no way of distributing my maps for playing and reviewing.

If only i had access to a place like Doomworld back then... *sigh*

Thanks you guys... It's awesome that you guys took the time to play it, but it's also nice to hear it's not an eye gouger :D

Oh, Spike, good map :)

Cheers dudey - the same right back :p

I just got through playing it.....not bad. Not bad at all. You should be like big_al, and produce deathmatch WAD after deathmatch WAD. :)
Pros: Nice gloomy base-style level, perfect for deathmatch. Really good Episode feel to it.
Cons: Some of the halls are a bit thin, making hard to manuever around sometimes. Also the level is a bit smallish, so if you've got over 4 players playing, the level feels a wee bit cramped.
Conclusion:
This is a very well done DM-style level. It's from a looong way back and it shows, but it's not that bad either. Download it. :)

Overall: 8.5 out of 10.

How's that for a review?